Noises in the Front - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Question Noises in the Front

I've got a 2009 1700 Classic that has been making noises in the front for a while and I can't figure out what it is. I've taken it to the dealership and they said nothing was wrong... another dealer said they didn't hear anything out of the ordinary... BUT

When I shift into 4th gear, get up to around 50 (on the speedo) and let off the throttle, there is noise - a mix of grinding, whine and .. noise. There are a few squeeks and whines just traveling as well, cornering, etc.

I had ridden through lots of rain and as I started backing the bike up, it squealed and squeaked pretty bad... I looked all over and noticed the belt was rubbing on the outside of the back drive wheel. Got the tire replaced (9500 miles on it) and the guy lined it up better, which reduced the noise.

I've got 10,000 miles (plus) on the motorcycle now ( bought it new off-the-floor in November, it was a leftover model ). Any ideas on what to look for or how to make it less squeaky and noisy?

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Any Day on Two Wheels is Just Better.

Cernunnos protects me, Cerridwyn Inspires me.

Ride for Fun, Have Fun Riding!
_____

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 02:38 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Just popping in my 2 cents:

I was reading a thread earlier that detail the drive belt being overtightened from the dealer from day 1 causing a bushing to wear out.

I can't find that thread, to share sorry.

I also in that same thread saw something in regards to a "loose" nut inside the engine cover and padding being added by the dealer.

Hope this helps.
There is a ton of good and some bad information here, just keep digging.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 10:22 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Graywalker I had the same issues after new tires were installed(https://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=57146) right before I met up with you and the guy's for our ride. They finally got it better but lately I have noticed after 15 or 20 minutes of riding I hear all kinds of noises coming from the front sprocket/belt roller, from the top end of 3rd through 4th and the bottom of 5th gear. When I got home this afternoon and was backing it in the garage that skritch skritch from the back sprocket/belt roller tells me the belt is still to tight. I have 20k miles on my Nomad so next week while I am changing the plugs and the fluids I am going to back the belt tension off a hair to see if it helps. If you do not have a shop manual for your classic yet I would be glad to send you the pages from my Nomad manual that would show how to do it. Drop me a pm with email and phone # and I will send it to you.

P.S.Bobby are you going to Arkansas in October? I am thinking about it.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 10:38 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2009/Kawasaki/Voyager 1700
Displacement/CC's: 1700
You're not going to like this...
My '09 Voyager had the same issues, and after many trips to three different dealers and paying two of them to adjust the belt tension and alignment I finally lucked up (sort of) and a factroy rep was at my dealer and he looked at my bike.

Tha cause was that both the front and rear belt pulleys were worn out as was the belt. none of them really looked that bad.

The belt from kawasaki is near $500, so is the rear pulley, and the front pulley is between $80-100. Plus labor. Not warranty! the factory rep said these were "Wear items"

The premature wear is likely due to misalignment and improper tension, but good luck getting anyone at kawasaki to acknowledge that or warranty it.

I shopped around and found a salvage rear pulley with low milage and in good shape on ebay for $150, I found the front pulley at babbits online for $64 and a Gates belt from J&P for $209 and did the work myself.

this was a year ago and 15000 miles ago. I realign my own belt and tension after the dealer changed the rear tire. I will not trust any dealer to properly align and tension it again...that is too expensive to let them hurry through it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode