Need New Brake Pads. - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Need New Brake Pads.

2000 miles on the bike and the front brakes are dragging (metal to metal) noise on slow gentle stops. Hard stops no problem. Dealer said that was normal??? Want to replace them with something else. Are EBC sinister pads good? Said for sport bikes and track days. Let me know what to go with and a pat number. Thanks
Also, are the Voyager and 1700 Vulcan the same brake pads?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/c4095 View Post
2000 miles on the bike and the front brakes are dragging (metal to metal) noise on slow gentle stops. Hard stops no problem. Dealer said that was normal??? Want to replace them with something else. Are EBC sinister pads good? Said for sport bikes and track days. Let me know what to go with and a pat number. Thanks
Also, are the Voyager and 1700 Vulcan the same brake pads?
A very light amount of drag or touching is normal as there is no spring to pull the pad off the rotor, they float. I doubt you need new pads after 2000 miles unless you've been riding with your brakes on. As far as EBC pads, they are really good, that's what I run, ( EBC HH ). I didn't have to change the fronts until 39000 miles and I've not had to change the rears and I have close to 53000 miles on my Voyager ABS. Cant remember the part # but if you get on the web, look up EBC brake pads for your bike, the # will come up.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Dont ride the brake so that wasnt the problem. The dragging is so load people in a car running could hear them when I stopped next to them. Very loud unless i apply them hard. I did contact EBC for a part number and they suggested the ones for touring not the HH. But I see the HH are highly recomended. FA231HH their part number. Thanks

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 03:50 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
I use the HH as well, even though mine are from Galfer. Same "full metallic". Much better stopping power.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Vulcan Voyager ABS/ my "Blue Goose"
BIG 3 = PCV w/ Ign/Cobra Slip-ons/Thunder Air Kit
Kuryakyn "Longhorn Offset Highway Pegs"
Air Hawk2 seat cusion/Remote Control for house
National Cycle Fender Tips//Utopia Back Rest
Gorilla Alarm/Strebel Air Horn/14 in. Dark Shield
Kaw Rear Speakers/Galfer Break Pads
Garmin GPS, RAM mounted on break reservoir
Chrome Mug Holder/Extra Chrome/Wrapped Pipes
Flags and Mounts from "Rumbling Pride"
Dunlop SP5000 Car Tire /AMSOIL & Filter

Last edited by davidsheek; 07-24-2013 at 03:53 PM.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 04:19 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/c4095 View Post
Dont ride the brake so that wasnt the problem. The dragging is so load people in a car running could hear them when I stopped next to them. Very loud unless i apply them hard. I did contact EBC for a part number and they suggested the ones for touring not the HH. But I see the HH are highly recomended. FA231HH their part number. Thanks
That is the WRONG part nmber for the VOYAGER/VAQUERO front calipers. The correct part nmber is FA158 HH. I do not recommend anything but EBC HH pads, there are the only brand and type i use and sell.

This being the internet I believe this is a good example of how someone is trying to explain a "noise" and it can be interpreted soooooo many ways.

To clarify "Brake drag" ONLY OCCURS when the brakes are NOT being applied. Brake drag means the pads are dragging against the rotors excessively when the brakes are not being applied.

You are complaining about a noise DURING brake application so that is NOT brake drag. It is a noise generated during brake application and is a result of one or more causes.

I bet you are hearing a grinding/rumbling/groaning type noise? These Vulcans have solid mounted rotors onto cast wheels and in certain brake applications there is a harmonic resonance that occurs as a result of the dissimmilar metals having different frequencies at which they will vibrate. Thru my years of working on skoots I have experienced this a few times.

This did occur on my Vaq, it was not usually during hard or heavy braking but might occur just as I was coming to a stop. It mostly happened at the lower speeds/normal braking.

One trick I used and have used for some time was to go out and really STOMP on that front brake many times, the noise went away after awhile.

I ride hard and use my front brakes pretty good, I eventually warped my rotors!

Your skoot is very young and in no way needs new pads. I would suggest give it some more time, perform some aggressive stops and allow what I have termed "for everything to season in". Might sound kinda weird but give it a try.

Again EBC's listing for pads is INCORRECT, so if you decide to go that route get the FA 158 HH pads. My skoot has over 40,000 mls on it, already changed the rears to HH pads and love the braking improvement, when I get my new rotors I'll do the HH pads at the same time.

RACNRAY

"TRUE HAPPINESS IS IN THE HEART,NOT IN THE OUTSIDE FIXES!!"
WITH OVER 42 YEARS AS A MOTORCYCLE TECHNICIAN/HI-PO SHOP OWNER I AM A PURVEYOR OF FACT NOT FICTION!
"WE LIVE OUR LIVES IN CHAINS NEVER KNOWING WE HAD THE KEY"
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 09:29 PM
Lifetime Premium

I just finished reading 140 pages of the VN1700 forum.

Some suggested to use brake quiet:
https://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/s...40&postcount=5
You may want to read the entire thread.

One owner (can't find the post) complained about squeaking brakes on a new bike to the dealer, the dealer said thats normal - the owner took the brakes apart & the pad material had separated from the metal backing and fell apart - when the owner took the pads into the dealer, the dealer replaced them under warranty

2013 ABS Voyager
Rear Speakers, Top bag rails, headset jacks, chrome passanger board covers, Kuryakyn Floorboard peg mounts.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Ray for the correction! I did take them off and hit them with some sand paper and cleaned them. So far so good. Looks like rain the next few days though.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 11:15 AM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Ray, so the FA158 HH fits both the front and rear on the Vaqueros ? Want to replace mine now since I have about 30,000 miles, want to make sure I get the right one to fit the bike.

Roadie
2011 Vaquero

Amsoil Oil | TLC Bag Liners
Mini Beast Air Horn | Sagebrush Bag Chaps
Power Commander V | Cobra Tri-Oval SlipOns
Thunder Tornado Air Kit | Madcorider Oil Tempstick
Marvellas Trailer Hitch Kit | Rumbling Pride Flag Mounts
Utopia Drivers Backrest | Sagebrush Leather Tank Bib
Michelin Commander II Tires | Classic's Engine/Road Bar Chaps
Wind Vest 10" Smoked Windscreen | Avon Grips with RacNRay's Throttle Mod

4 Wheels Move the Body & 2 Wheels Move the Soul
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 01:09 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadie View Post
Ray, so the FA158 HH fits both the front and rear on the Vaqueros ? Want to replace mine now since I have about 30,000 miles, want to make sure I get the right one to fit the bike.
ROADIE...the Vaqs and the Voyagers use the same frnt pads, FA158 HH. They also both use the same rear which is the FA 231 style. The HH pads are an incredible increase in stopping power,especially for the front, and that goes the same for the rear. On my skoot with the REAR HH pads AND a braided steel brake line the initial bite is a huge improvement over stock, but I gotta be careful as it is quite a bit easier to lock up the rear wheel.

The organic series pads which have no suffix designation are poor performers and cause abnormal rotor wear. The newer "V" series pads are semi sintered but I have no experience with them as of yet. If you go with HH pads for the rear you will have to be careful and determine where the new lock-up threshhold is.

RACNRAY

"TRUE HAPPINESS IS IN THE HEART,NOT IN THE OUTSIDE FIXES!!"
WITH OVER 42 YEARS AS A MOTORCYCLE TECHNICIAN/HI-PO SHOP OWNER I AM A PURVEYOR OF FACT NOT FICTION!
"WE LIVE OUR LIVES IN CHAINS NEVER KNOWING WE HAD THE KEY"
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 04:24 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACNRAY View Post
ROADIE...the Vaqs and the Voyagers use the same frnt pads, FA158 HH. They also both use the same rear which is the FA 231 style. The HH pads are an incredible increase in stopping power,especially for the front, and that goes the same for the rear. On my skoot with the REAR HH pads AND a braided steel brake line the initial bite is a huge improvement over stock, but I gotta be careful as it is quite a bit easier to lock up the rear wheel.

The organic series pads which have no suffix designation are poor performers and cause abnormal rotor wear. The newer "V" series pads are semi sintered but I have no experience with them as of yet. If you go with HH pads for the rear you will have to be careful and determine where the new lock-up threshhold is.

RACNRAY
This guy is good, we are lucky to have him on this forum!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode