Vulcan 1700 air box - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Vulcan 1700 air box

Hey is there anyway to modify the air box on a 2010 vlcan classic to let more/cooler air in other then buying a charger kit?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 05:55 PM
Top Contributor

Not really. Racn Ray said it messes up the airflow and makes it run worse. PM him he will fill you in.

2010 Voyager
Scootworks 2 inch fat risers
vance&Hines slipons
Mustang Wide Touring studded
PCV
Michelin commander 2
Ipod adapter
Titanium header wrap
8 to 12.5 inch bagger windshield
Iso grips with Rays throttle mod
Chrome rear floor board covers
Kams Kit
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 10:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to Vulcan Hammer Send a message via Skype™ to Vulcan Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickman_33 View Post
Hey is there anyway to modify the air box on a 2010 vlcan classic to let more/cooler air in other then buying a charger kit?
It's hard to beat deals like this for an OEM K&N Filter:

I tried one of the Stock Filter Cover hi-flow BAKs and was extremely disappointed with the increased engine noise, reduced low end torque and messed up throttle modulation. Sure, there was some improvement in top end power, but only at wide open throttle. I went back to the stock filter housing and the OEM K&N Filter as shown in the link above and couldn't be happier.

The stock filter housing may seem circuitous and restrictive, but a lot of effort went into its design by Kawasaki to reduce engine noise and provide smooth acceleration at all speeds. Just spend the $47 on the OEM K&N!...its a modest improvement and not as risky as trying to modify the filter housing yourself

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new kawi rider View Post
Not really. Racn Ray said it messes up the airflow and makes it run worse. PM him he will fill you in.

I don't think this is actually the case. However open the air flow and you very likely going to adjust jetting. think you may has misunderstood rays thoughts.

from memory he advised that low inlet or exhaust manifold pressure wasn't productive for performance.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 04:56 PM
Lifetime Premium

During my first dyno session with my Vaq back in May 2011 I experimented with creating another opening in the left a/b cover. I had already installed a K&N filter and saw about a 2 H.P. gain so that was a good thing. I cut open the round area within the label on that left side outer cover.

The skoot lost power, lotsa power. During the dyno run I felt air being pushed back OUT of the opening. HMMM..NOT GOOD!

We performed 3 successive dyno runs with that hole taped over by 1/3, 2/3 then fully taped over. Each run made up some of the power we had lost and when the hole was completely taped over our power was back to normal.

My next test was to remove the RIGHT side airbox cover completely and WALA...major power gains!!

Showed me how restrictive the stock intake system is to suppress intake noise. The triangular tube that connects the left and right airboxes is too restrictive to allow much larger quantities of air thru and creates what is called a sonic choke, where the airflow has lost it's velocity and just packs into that tube and can't get thru.

Bottom line, add a K&N to the stock airbox for a small gain in performance or go with a BAK and proper tuning. That set-up makes more power everywhere with no losses but as has been said there will be more intake noise.

RACNRAY

"TRUE HAPPINESS IS IN THE HEART,NOT IN THE OUTSIDE FIXES!!"
WITH OVER 42 YEARS AS A MOTORCYCLE TECHNICIAN/HI-PO SHOP OWNER I AM A PURVEYOR OF FACT NOT FICTION!
"WE LIVE OUR LIVES IN CHAINS NEVER KNOWING WE HAD THE KEY"
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 09:04 PM

my air box mods are lhs only and all that it has done iz to de restrict the air to the air cleaner. it has dramatic ly improved the response ivness but only to a limit. re jetting wae th bigger improvement.

so I belive that moderate changes to the lhs airbox is benifital. to be honest unless you want to change the look..there isn't mu h to be removed.

so I agree with rays description of the task.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 12:42 AM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACNRAY View Post
During my first dyno session with my Vaq back in May 2011 I experimented with creating another opening in the left a/b cover. I had already installed a K&N filter and saw about a 2 H.P. gain so that was a good thing. I cut open the round area within the label on that left side outer cover.

The skoot lost power, lotsa power. During the dyno run I felt air being pushed back OUT of the opening. HMMM..NOT GOOD!

We performed 3 successive dyno runs with that hole taped over by 1/3, 2/3 then fully taped over. Each run made up some of the power we had lost and when the hole was completely taped over our power was back to normal.

My next test was to remove the RIGHT side airbox cover completely and WALA...major power gains!!

Showed me how restrictive the stock intake system is to suppress intake noise. The triangular tube that connects the left and right airboxes is too restrictive to allow much larger quantities of air thru and creates what is called a sonic choke, where the airflow has lost it's velocity and just packs into that tube and can't get thru.

Bottom line, add a K&N to the stock airbox for a small gain in performance or go with a BAK and proper tuning. That set-up makes more power everywhere with no losses but as has been said there will be more intake noise.

RACNRAY
Lots of intake noise. So much I took mine off. I had a Kuryakn air kit on my VTX and it did not bother me. I am thinking of a Kuryakn alley cat maybe.

2010 Voyager
vance&Hines slipons
PCV
Michelin commander 2
Ipod adapter
Titanium header wrap
Kams Kit
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 03:03 AM

rode home in the rain, so I pulled the covers off to see if any water go it. Afetr having another look at the mods I've included....all I'm doing is sucking in more preheated air...I wonder if I could run a bit of aircon duct to the front of the frame.....hmmm....

I want to keep the lines on the dome cowlings, but want to get cooler air in...have to admit rays design looks good.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

So end equation is a air charger worth the gain????

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 10:58 AM
Top Contributor

Power was great noise is annoying. I took mine off.

2010 Voyager
vance&Hines slipons
PCV
Michelin commander 2
Ipod adapter
Titanium header wrap