Stock baffle removal - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Stock baffle removal

I have been told that the stock baffles can be removed if you don't want to spend a small fortune on slip ons. Is that true?
Are there problems doing this?

New to Kawi and Vulcans....

Thanks!

racer_phill

'10 Voyager
'06 VTX1800 (gone)
'06 SV1000S (gone)
'03 SV650 (gone)
'04 CRF250R (gone)
'03 CRF230F (gone)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 12:30 PM
Lifetime Premium

The Voyagers have 2 round plates welded into the inner core of the mufflers. These can be removed and will allow the mufflers to be less restrictive. This will allow the engine to breath better which will result in a bit more power/torque, better throttle response, a bit better gas mileage, a smoother and a bit coler runnin engine. This will slightly increase exhaust sound but it is a nice tone and not as loud as aftermarket mufflers.

A win win modification that is much cheaper than those aftermarket mufflers.

RACNRAY

"TRUE HAPPINESS IS IN THE HEART,NOT IN THE OUTSIDE FIXES!!"
WITH OVER 42 YEARS AS A MOTORCYCLE TECHNICIAN/HI-PO SHOP OWNER I AM A PURVEYOR OF FACT NOT FICTION!
"WE LIVE OUR LIVES IN CHAINS NEVER KNOWING WE HAD THE KEY"
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

I cannot even find a youtube video of this. Anyone got pics of what they did?

racer_phill

'10 Voyager
'06 VTX1800 (gone)
'06 SV1000S (gone)
'03 SV650 (gone)
'04 CRF250R (gone)
'03 CRF230F (gone)

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 07:40 PM
BOTM Winner
August 2016

Year/Make/Model: 2013 Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700 cc
Color: Blue / silver
debaffling

Ray I purchased an 2011 Voyager that the previous owner had debaffled the exhaust. The sound is great but I get a lot of back firing and poping is happening. I have put in a thunder gasket and tried each of the idle settings. Zero seems to be the best. I have used 87 89 and 91 octane with 91 it seems to run better. My question to you would be do I need a fuel processor I will try to block off the cross tub as you recommended in another post. Any suggestions would be appreciated short of riding 1500 miles to your shop one way.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 11:12 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
I just pickup up a new Voyager and plan on de-baffling it once I'm sure the dealer won't be looking at it again. The front tire has a small cut in it from shipping and Kawi is shipping them a new one to install. I'll take pictures, videos, and do before and after sound clips if you are patient enough to wait a week or two. I too noticed a lack of detail about it and pretty much deduced that it was such a simple procedure on this model that nobody else thought to post info.

With that said my biggest concern is the distance between the first and second baffle. I've already got a hole saw from another project but the guiding drill bit on it sticks out about an inch and a half past the end of the hole saw. I may look into a different hole saw since I'm concerned about cutting too far past the baffles.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 02:20 AM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2010 Vulcan Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Black & silver
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_phill View Post
I cannot even find a youtube video of this. Anyone got pics of what they did?

Simple, use a 30 mm hole saw, I used a 28 mm, I think I used a 12" extension to get to the front plates. As soon as you have gone through these front plates, stop, so you don't go too far into the "cats", have been thinking of taking these out, also.
I don't have any backfiring or popping
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 08:24 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by keymankirk View Post
Ray I purchased an 2011 Voyager that the previous owner had debaffled the exhaust. The sound is great but I get a lot of back firing and poping is happening. I have put in a thunder gasket and tried each of the idle settings. Zero seems to be the best. I have used 87 89 and 91 octane with 91 it seems to run better. My question to you would be do I need a fuel processor I will try to block off the cross tub as you recommended in another post. Any suggestions would be appreciated short of riding 1500 miles to your shop one way.
At this point the biggest contributor to your popping on decel is the fresh air into the exhaust system, plug that hose up!!!!!!!

RACNRAY

"TRUE HAPPINESS IS IN THE HEART,NOT IN THE OUTSIDE FIXES!!"
WITH OVER 42 YEARS AS A MOTORCYCLE TECHNICIAN/HI-PO SHOP OWNER I AM A PURVEYOR OF FACT NOT FICTION!
"WE LIVE OUR LIVES IN CHAINS NEVER KNOWING WE HAD THE KEY"
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 06:24 PM

I found the biggest difference was made on my 2010 Nomad when I removed the baffle on the engine side of the right side muffler.
Remove the pipe and cut that out as well.
There are two baffles to remove from the rear of each muffler and one on the engine side of both mufflers.
The Cats are in between the second baffle and the baffle on the engine side.
I didn't remove the engine side baffle on the left pipe because you need to cut the bend on the pipe to get at it.
Will eventually get around to that when the bike is no longer under warranty.
Whether that would affect the warranty I don't know.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 01:18 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2013 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1700
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Titanium and Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACNRAY View Post
The Voyagers have 2 round plates welded into the inner core of the mufflers. These can be removed and will allow the mufflers to be less restrictive. This will allow the engine to breath better which will result in a bit more power/torque, better throttle response, a bit better gas mileage, a smoother and a bit coler runnin engine. This will slightly increase exhaust sound but it is a nice tone and not as loud as aftermarket mufflers.

A win win modification that is much cheaper than those aftermarket mufflers.

RACNRAY
How did you get the plates out?
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 06:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to Vulcan Hammer Send a message via Skype™ to Vulcan Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huddleston View Post
How did you get the plates out?
Use a 1-1/4" bimetal hole saw on an extension (approx. 16" long).
Just be careful drilling the second plate in from the end as the catalytic core is just behind it. The bit in the centre of the hole saw may chew into the catalytic a bit, but shouldn't hurt it if you stop soon enough.

Just take your time when drilling the second plate as it may fall into the muffler and get trapped in the small space ahead of the catalytic material. Some have developed a rattle or whistling as a result of this, but you can take the muffler off and shake the plug out (this process only took me about a half hour and a lot of cursing, not including the time to remove the muffler).

Note: You may wish to stop after drilling just the first plate and see how it sounds after a good ride. Remember, it sounds much different just idling in your garage.

I say this because after drilling out the second plate in each muffler you may get much more decel popping as this sound will no longer be muffled. A good fuel manager may be required to add more fuel just off idle to eliminate this popping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode