Starting Problems - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Angry Starting Problems

Recently my bike has experienced intermmitant starting where it might take several attempts before it will start. At 30000 miles it has original plugs and battery. At first it only after a long ride but yesterday it did it after only five miles. Any thoughts?

Happy 2009 1700 Nomad owner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 09:59 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
I Googled that cause it's an interesting question and their's so many possible causes that I read for...well awhile. From decreasing levels of O2 when it gets hot, starter armature swelling drawing more amps, vapor lock from fuel line "heat soak" (This is much less of a problem on fuel injected engines because the fuel is usually under much higher pressure inside the injectors and fuel line. Even so, a fuel line routed near an exhaust manifold or a fuel rail that's exposed to a lot of heat may still suffer the same kind of problems), cooling problems that allow your engine to run too hot (the pistons swell up and may scuff the cylinder walls), and a bunch more possible causes.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 11:41 AM
Lifetime Premium

There could be one or a few causes of the hard starting. The 1700's use an iridium tipped plug that can possibly last 30,000+ miles. I believe we replaced a set of plugs that a customer brought us, his skoot had over 20,000 mls. His original plugs were in perfect shape. Unless you have had some FI tuning where the skoot is running rich I would not think the plugs would be the culprit.

It is well documented the 1700's intake system is prone,by design, to having intake vacuum leaks. These leaks can finally rear their ugly head over a short period of time (as in your case) or is a slow degradation. Either way they can contribute to hard starting and poor running.

Another thing I have experience with is an accumulation of carbon deposits in the throttle bore in the area where the throttle plates sit when the engine is idling. Performing a throttle bore/plate cleaning with a spray type carb cleaner and a bottle type brush may help.

One more thing..I have found the use of fuel injector cleaner on a regular basis helps to clean the injectors, all my vehicles get treated every 3000-5000mls or so and I can always feel an improvement in performance. I always use a double strength dose in a tank of gas, repeating in the following tank of gas.

Try the FI cleaner and cleaning the throttle bores first, both easy to do. If you have any questions feel free to call me at my shop 954-455-9665.

HOPE THIS HELPS

RACNRAY

"TRUE HAPPINESS IS IN THE HEART,NOT IN THE OUTSIDE FIXES!!"
WITH OVER 42 YEARS AS A MOTORCYCLE TECHNICIAN/HI-PO SHOP OWNER I AM A PURVEYOR OF FACT NOT FICTION!
"WE LIVE OUR LIVES IN CHAINS NEVER KNOWING WE HAD THE KEY"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode