what the world?? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2011 Kawasaki/Vaquero
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: RED
Garage
what the world??

so Honda is so desperate they have to come and advertise on a kawa forum .that is laughable
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 08:58 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Why would they advertise on a Honda forum? They've already got those customers!

The forum is full of metric-owning motorcyclists. Seems like a logical place to advertise! Hondas been putting up some serious numbers, I don't think 'desperation' has anything to do with their current marketing campaign.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 06:31 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
Why would they advertise on a Honda forum? They've already got those customers!
LOL...makes sense!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
The forum is full of metric-owning motorcyclists. Seems like a logical place to advertise! Hondas been putting up some serious numbers, I don't think 'desperation' has anything to do with their current marketing campaign.
There's a legion of ppl upgrading from the Kaw 900 to a larger power plant (engine) that don't (maybe can't) want to gravitate to the heavy Flagship Kaw 1700 line. So where do they go? Ah, Honda makes a 1300 Custom line, including the Sabre, Interstate, and Stateline models. Even the Fury is equipped with a 1300.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 07:27 AM

I looked at the Interstate, etc and they all look too much like they are trying to be custom choppers. Tiny gas tanks and all. Something about them just looks... wrong to me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Any Day on Two Wheels is Just Better.

Cernunnos protects me, Cerridwyn Inspires me.

Ride for Fun, Have Fun Riding!
_____
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 07:47 AM

Friend of mine has the stateline. Its a nice ride but dang it is extremely long(9feet) Makes it a pain to put in the back of his truck and what not. Its an okay ride comfort wise just mot my style and I love my Vaq.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 07:55 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank View Post
Friend of mine has the stateline. Its a nice ride but dang it is extremely long(9feet) Makes it a pain to put in the back of his truck and what not. Its an okay ride comfort wise just mot my style and I love my Vaq.
Must not be THAT comfortable if you have to keep loading it on a truck

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 10:14 AM
Top Contributor

The last model they made that interested me was the Valkyrie.
They dropped the Valk to make the P.O.S. VTX 1800 that they have also dropped.
Good riddance.
Their cruisers are LAME.
Not that the 1300 is a bad motor since it's nicer and sounds better than the 1800 but they now look like Victories (gay looking) and sport tiny gas tanks,skinny tires,and useless saddlebags.

JJ

'97 Valkyrie Tourer '06 Stratoliner Midnight '09 V2KLT

NOT a member of an organized religion
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Jammin'John; 07-03-2013 at 10:14 AM. Reason: spelling
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 10:47 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin'John View Post
The last model they made that interested me was the Valkyrie.
They dropped the Valk to make the P.O.S. VTX 1800 that they have also dropped.
Good riddance.
Their cruisers are LAME.
Not that the 1300 is a bad motor since it's nicer and sounds better than the 1800 but they now look like Victories (gay looking) and sport tiny gas tanks,skinny tires,and useless saddlebags.

JJ
My wifes 750 is an awesome bike. Well built, has features usually only on much bigger bikes (nice dual suspension, a non-useless helmet lock, EFI, etc.) It's got a STRONG motor that is super smooth. Plus, Honda reliability!

But you've gotta be a pretty small rider (and my wife is) to be comfortable on that 750. It's a small bike for sure! Cramped riding position. Works great for her though!

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graywalker View Post
I looked at the Interstate, etc and they all look too much like they are trying to be custom choppers. Tiny gas tanks and all. Something about them just looks... wrong to me.
I dont like the big gap from the top of the forward jug to the frame/tank at the neck. Looks dumb. And, the rear fender seems out of proportion too. I may be able to overlook those faults if it weren't for the somewhat strange riding position and wide handlebars. If I turn the wheel to lock, I could barely hold on to the bar with my extended arm, and I'm 5'10". It seems that the best looking cruiser they make is the anemic 750cc Shadow line (Phantom looks especially nice).

+1 on the Valkyrie, and especially the Rune. IMHO that Rune was one of the sexiest, original Metric bikes made.

Why did Honda lose their way?
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 11:13 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Honda is playing on their strengths. Why doesn't Kawasaki make a flat-4 upright goldwing-esque touring bike anymore? Why doesn't Harley-Davidson make sportbikes anymore? It's not that these companies have lost their way, they are just playing to their market. The Buell had a cult following but most folks would rather have a better handling, better performing, more reliably Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki or Kawasaki sportbike. Kawasaki's Voyager (pre 1700 Voyager) couldn't compete with the 'king', the GoldWing.

Honda is selling popular sportbikes, and the GoldWing is kind of the flagship touring motorcycle. Even if it isn't what you or I would prefer (we're on a forum for a large-framed V-Twin metric cruiser; wanna guess what we like?), the GoldWing is a very popular bike. It's also a pretty high tech machine, even if you don't like it, you have to appreciate the innovations Honda brings to the table with that one.

I, for one, think Honda is doing some cool things. The rune isn't likely to sell as it's a small market. Even if you can find 50 internet buddies to say they want it, doesn't mean it will sell. Look at how many people on this forum adore the V2K? But it was a flop, it didn't sell well at all! Can't argue with the numbers. They are a business, after all, and if it doesn't sell, it goes. WHY it didn't sell, myself and I'm sure anyone who has ridden or owned a V2K is probably asking the same question, but it didn't. I think the bottom line is, if people are going to spend that much money on a bike with that much power, they generally want it on a touring frame. Hence, the F6B. A touring bike, with a little more attitude, something 'in the middle' between the Rune and the 'Wing.

So Honda isn't making another 'classic' Cruiser. But they are making some cool bikes! I think Honda will always be a sport and sport-tourer company (the Goldwing is pretty much a sport touring bike, or a 'standard' if you will). I don't think they INTEND to be in the cruiser market.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode