Ok OK OK...fan switch wiring info - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Ok OK OK...fan switch wiring info

Some of you know (and have been patiently waiting for this info) and some may not know, so here it is. Last year I hooked up a switch to turn the fan on before the ECU turns it on.

The Vulcans lose power due to the ECU retarding the ignition timing when the coolant temp gets up there, and on the Voyager/Vaquero this retard starts when the needle gets halfway between the middle and the next line. It is quite aggravating to take off from a stop and have the skoot stumbling with that loss of power. Pooey

So here is the info...remove the seat and the black plastic battery cover. On the left side of the skoot kinda buried a few inches below the left frame rail is a relay box with 5 plastic gang connectors, 2 large in a row and 3 smaller ones in a row.

The small gang plug at the rear of the relay box has a blue wire with a white stripe. This is the power wire to the fan when the fan relay is triggered by the ECU. This is the wire we will feed power to the fan from the switch.

To simplify things I connected a fused link directly to the positive post of the battery with a 10 amp fuse. This wire you will run to wherever you want to place your switch. My switch is located on the left side of my tank bib, it is a simple on/off switch. You will run a second wire from the switch to that blue/white wire previously mentioned. I originally used a scotch-lock type connector but that eventually failed, so I cut the wire and positively connected the wires together,

This hook up will allow the fan to be turned on at any time, ignition switch in ANY position. I have also installed 2 bright red LED's in my tank bib to remind me the fan is on as sometimes I forget to turn it off when I get on the hiway after I have been in slow speed traffic.

When I am in slow speed/stop-n-go traffic I turn the fan on BEFORE the needle gets to the halfway mark which keeps the needle from climbing into that area where the ignition retard/loss of power occurs.

Another option is to connect the switch to a power source that is hot when the ignition switch is in the ON position, thus allowing the fan to be switched on only when the ignition switch is in the on position.

It is so nice to never have the skoot operating in that "loss of power" mode. Living in S. Fla or any area where traffic can be heavy and the ambient temps up there will have these 1700's in that loss of power mode and that is just aggravating.

Sorry to take so long to post this info, many have been waiting.

RACNRAY

"TRUE HAPPINESS IS IN THE HEART,NOT IN THE OUTSIDE FIXES!!"
WITH OVER 42 YEARS AS A MOTORCYCLE TECHNICIAN/HI-PO SHOP OWNER I AM A PURVEYOR OF FACT NOT FICTION!
"WE LIVE OUR LIVES IN CHAINS NEVER KNOWING WE HAD THE KEY"

Last edited by RACNRAY; 07-02-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 05:34 PM
Top Contributor

Thanks Ray. Now to go find the wires lol.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2010 Voyager
Scootworks 2 inch fat risers
vance&Hines slipons
Mustang Wide Touring studded
PCV
Michelin commander 2
Ipod adapter
Titanium header wrap
8 to 12.5 inch bagger windshield
Iso grips with Rays throttle mod
Chrome rear floor board covers
Kams Kit
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 09:00 PM

Very interesting write up. I don't post much here but have learned a lot. Especially from you Ray. So maybe you could answer this question about the fan. I am not sure if you are familiar with the older Nomads or not but I had a 2004 1500 before the 1700. when I shut the bike down, if the engine temp was up, the fan would continue to run even after the ignition switch was turned off. The fan would run for however long it would take to cool the engine. I always wondered why they didn't do that with the 1700's. Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't the temp rise a little right after the engine is shut down. In other words the heat would rise since there is no air movement cooling it down. Which in my mind could cause problems with the sensors not sensing correctly like sitting in traffic. Especially when restarting the engine, I have noticed it doesn't start like when it is cold or cooler.
I hope this makes sense
Bill

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 09:41 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Kawasaki Vaquero
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Red
ALRIGHT RAY! I knew you would come through for us! I don't care what the other guys say about you, you are okay!

Jerry "Old Bear" Barker
Clarksville, TN
Americas Guardians PS MC
Tennessee 16-A Chapter
"Blaze" 2017 Vaquero
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpro215 View Post
Very interesting write up. I don't post much here but have learned a lot. Especially from you Ray. So maybe you could answer this question about the fan. I am not sure if you are familiar with the older Nomads or not but I had a 2004 1500 before the 1700. when I shut the bike down, if the engine temp was up, the fan would continue to run even after the ignition switch was turned off. The fan would run for however long it would take to cool the engine. I always wondered why they didn't do that with the 1700's. Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't the temp rise a little right after the engine is shut down. In other words the heat would rise since there is no air movement cooling it down. Which in my mind could cause problems with the sensors not sensing correctly like sitting in traffic. Especially when restarting the engine, I have noticed it doesn't start like when it is cold or cooler.
I hope this makes sense
Bill

Unless the water pump is running after shutoff, the fan is just going to cool the fluid in the radiator. It is also cooling the engine, but that's a side effect of air movement...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 08:37 AM

Ray thanks for the post and all your help you provide here on the forum. Looks like I may have a 4th of July project!

2014 Honda Gold Wing
2011 Vaquero sold
2009 900lt sold
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpro215 View Post
I hope this makes sense
Bill
On many of the older Kawi's the fan would continue to run after the ignition was turned off, sportbikes included. You are correct about engine/coolant temps rising after engine shutdown, also called heat soak.
Why Kawi has not set up the 1700's fan operation the way previous models worked I don't know.

RACNRAY

WITH OVER 42 YEARS AS A MOTORCYCLE TECHNICIAN/HI-PO SHOP OWNER I AM A PURVEYOR OF FACT NOT FICTION!
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 09:10 PM

Ray bought everything but wire, what size wire do you recommend? Thanks again for posting this.

2014 Honda Gold Wing
2011 Vaquero sold
2009 900lt sold
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty360 View Post
Ray bought everything but wire, what size wire do you recommend? Thanks again for posting this.
I used 16 gauge.

It is so nice since I did this to my skoot to not have that loss of power when in slow/stop n go traffic. My switch stopped working recently (thats when I found a bad connection at the scotch lock I had used) and I felt that power loss for the first time in a long time. Boy had I gotten spolied!!

RACNRAY

post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 02:46 PM

Ray saw this online, to bad nobody makes one for our bikes. A plug and play switch for the fan.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CAN-AM-COMMA...1f9571&afsrc=1

2014 Honda Gold Wing
2011 Vaquero sold
2009 900lt sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode