Thinking about a new Voyager - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Thinking about a new Voyager

I'm thinking about a new Voyager. Any feedback would be great, pros and cons???

Crutch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 01:33 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Hey Crutch

I've only ridden one one time, but I think you ride a 900 now, yes?

Well, as someone who owns a 900 and has ridden a Voyager, I can tell you the VV is a great choice. It'll be my next bike 'eventually' (got some other irons in the fire right now and I'm not in a big hurry). It was a great ride. Felt like the 900, only smoother and with a really good, consistent powerband. 6th gear was awesome. Stereo was great, cruise control is awesome! Just an overall great ride.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #3 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 02:50 AM

i went from the 900 classic to the voyager
1st off power is great ,ride is excellent,sound system is ok ,cruise control
pillion will love you
fuel economy not as good but not a lot of difference

bottom line if its around town riding the 900 hands down
open road or traveling two up 1700 hands down
love the voyager and would go back

post #4 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 09:37 AM

Best bike I have ever owned or rode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCrutchfield View Post
I'm thinking about a new Voyager. Any feedback would be great, pros and cons???

Crutch
I went from a 2007 Nomad to my 2011 VV best bike I have ever been on. I loked at all the major manufactures touring models and the Voyager was the best fit for me at 5' 6". Cruise control is great on long rides can't beat having a radio and plenty of storage. Seat is very comfortable got back on my Nomad this weakend and felt like I was on a wooden bench seat. Only down side so far is the heat, I will defenatly be getting the heat shields mentioned several times in other post. Only other down side might be tire wear seems like the stock tires don't last long but so far mine are fine after 3500 miles in the 3 months since I bought it.
post #5 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 10:53 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Hey TC,
I read your recent ride report.
Sounds like a great time. Post some pics already.

Some of the things that may have made your trip a little different are:

The weight & frame mounted fairing will make light work of the wind.
You'll still know it's there, but at 80mph it just kinda feels like you're in a porch swing. Lightly rocking back & forth.

The dual, air adjustable shocks make bumpy roads a lot less miserable after a long day in the saddle.

The cruise control is nice for your right hand and forearm, but also allows you to let go with either of your hands to shift around and stretch your shoulders and back out.

Locking storage it nice; and my wife and I really like being able to lock our helmets (with intercoms) in the top box when we stop.

After buying the ipod connector the stereo with controls on the grip, is pretty nice to have when you're on a long, boring stretch of road.

I don't have long legs; so I have to be extra careful when parking. I parked my 900 in a downward sloping spot once and barely could get it out. I take my time on the Voyager to make sure that doesn't happen. Sometimes that means parking a little further out.

The KAMS (2012 & later) does a good job of keeping the heat away from you; but it still is a little more of a PIA than the 900 to wait in stop & go traffic or heaven forbid, a train.

Myself & others have had heat issues with our stock VV. Synthetic oil, a 70/30 antifreeze mix and water wetter helped a lot.
More open pipes and a fuel controller to fix the EPA lean condition helps with heat and also makes it pull like a beast.

Scott

2012 Voyager 1700 ---SOLD
Pearl Alpine White/Pearl Luster Beige
Nice

2011 Rocket III Touring
Phantom Black
Naughty

2016 Indian Roadmaster
Thunder Black

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do
post #6 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 04:03 PM

Garage
I moved up from a 900 and it's a big improvement over the 900. I love having all the storage room and the cruise control is great. The radio is decent at best and the FM reception downright sucks. If You add rear speakers and iPod kid that helps a lot, Still sounds know where as good as a Harley or the other touring bikes. Don't even think of getting a voyager without the kam system or you will roast. Best thing to do is just go to the dealer and test ride. I've also noticed a lot of dash rattle.

Last edited by OhSteelerfan; 07-02-2013 at 04:06 PM.
post #7 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 05:13 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron3487 View Post
I went from a 2007 Nomad to my 2011 VV best bike I have ever been on. I loked at all the major manufactures touring models and the Voyager was the best fit for me at 5' 6". Cruise control is great on long rides can't beat having a radio and plenty of storage. Seat is very comfortable got back on my Nomad this weakend and felt like I was on a wooden bench seat. Only down side so far is the heat, I will defenatly be getting the heat shields mentioned several times in other post. Only other down side might be tire wear seems like the stock tires don't last long but so far mine are fine after 3500 miles in the 3 months since I bought it.
The heat problem is solved after getting the KAMS kit installed on my 2010. If you going to buy a VV buy a 2012 or newer KAMS is already installed. The only think I notice is the temp gauge runs a little higher with the KAMS kit. It better on the legs though. Also I have wrapped my pipes.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2010 Voyager
Scootworks 2 inch fat risers
vance&Hines slipons
Mustang Wide Touring studded
PCV
Michelin commander 2
Ipod adapter
Titanium header wrap
8 to 12.5 inch bagger windshield
Iso grips with Rays throttle mod
Chrome rear floor board covers
Kams Kit
post #8 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 07:41 PM

Garage
I have a 2012 and have 400 miles on it. I have already ordered ice water and water wetter coolants, and def. am changing pipes, air intake, and fuel manager ASAP! The dash rattles a lot and it doesn't have much power at all (stock), but it is VERY comfortable! I am hoping after I add the upgrades I will love it. Once you have cruise you'll never buy a bike without it!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2012 VV ABS Pearl Alpine White / Pearl Luster Beige
Cobra slash cut slip-ons
FI2000R
Thunder Air kit
Kury Longhorn Highway Pegs
14" Rifle Windshield
Kaw. Rider Backrest
RACNRay's Throttle mod
Kury ISO Grips
post #9 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 10:36 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
I have over 40000 miles on my Voyager. I wouldn't own it if it were my only bike.
Great for two up and handles well. Great in cooler weather, but just like any full touring bike there is not enough wind flow to evaporate the sweat. Even my concours is too hot in the summer. both bikes provide great wind protection, but a naked bike is just so much cooler for the summer months in the south.

2010 Vulcan Voyager 1700 ABS, 2007 Vulcan Mean Streak 1600
2012 Concours 1400, 2011 Versys 650, 2012 KLX250S

see my garage for list of accessories
post #10 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 02:03 PM

New 2012 Voyager.

I just went from the 800 Vulcan Classic to a new 2012 1700 Voyager. Just did my 600 mile oil change. A lot of the break in has been two up in very hot Florida weather. So far I'm pleased with the bike. You just can't put two over 50 people on a little bike and tour. I was surprised how easy this big bike is to maneuver at low speeds, the balance/center of gravity is good. High speed cruising is where it really shines, 75 MPH, cruise control, frame mounted windshield make for some excellent interstate riding. Of course riding the interstates is not my first choice but when you do find yourself up there you don't feel like a moped when a truck goes by on a Voyager. Passenger comfort is outstanding and storage is as good as it gets. I worked for the legendary American big bike maker and I chose a liquid cooled cruiser, enough said.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode