Looking at 2012 or 2013 Vulcan Nomad - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Looking at 2012 or 2013 Vulcan Nomad

Just sold my 2012 StreetGlide with 7000 miles on it. The SG was a nice bike but for the majority of riding I am doing I feel it was just too much bike (yeah I know I took a pretty good hit selling a bike less than a year old). Personally I didn't care for the fairing as it seemed to cause too much buffeting no matter what I added or did to eliminate the issue. I also didn't care for all the extraneous engine noise (valve train and primary noise) that is excepted by the die hard Harley riders as "normal". If I was to stay with Harley I think the FatBoy would be a better choice for what I am looking for but I don't think I am willing to except the inferior antiquated mechanical design that Harley presents, especially with my previous experience.

Also to be perfectly honest I didn't care for the attitude of both Harley and some of the dealers towards the customer. It seems the market share that Harley enjoys is directly reflected by the attitude towards customers, and beings I am not a dye in the wool Harley guy I figured it was time to cut my losses and look in a different direction. So enough Harley bashing.

I realize there is no perfect motorcycle out there and any choice will be a series of compromises. But minimizing the compromises to the minimum is the goal. The style of riding I enjoy is around town cruising and two to three day road trips.

So this brings me to a new 1700 Vulcan Nomad as a possible (probable) good choice for what I am looking for from a motorcycle. The only thing the Nomad doesn't offer that I would really like to have is ABS brakes, but otherwise it seems it would fit the bill nicely. Also beings I have zero metric experience I have no idea what I am in for as far as do it yourself maintenance and what to expect from dealer service depts. for warranty issues.

So I understand you guys will have a tendency to be somewhat biased but I would like to get some opinions as to what I am thinking and also to what your personal experiences have been with the concerns I may have.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 07:50 PM
BOTM Winner, April 2013

Garage
I don't have a Nomad, I ride a 2011 Vaquero. It does have a fairing w/5" shield, but I added a 10" Windvest shield. I totally LOVE my Vaquero. I think both bikes are basically built on the same platform; frame, engine, tranny, wheels. A bike with a windshield can be set up properly to cut out almost all buffeting, with the right size shield and fork-mounted wind deflectors (lowers).

AKA The Green Hornet
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 08:49 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
I have an 09 Nomad and it is an assume scoot, but if you are looking for a better after market dealer experience than harley IMHO you will be disappointed.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS Tinker View Post
I have an 09 Nomad and it is an assume scoot, but if you are looking for a better after market dealer experience than harley IMHO you will be disappointed.
Not really looking for after market dealer experience as I prefer OEM equipment.
But I wouldn't be looking at doing much if any upgrading to the bike.
Just looking for good dealer support and less issues with the bike than I had with my Harley.
Also to be honest I don't really care for the Harley culture among some of the folks that own Harley's.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 06:17 AM

I have a 2012 Nomad. Bought it new last October. And I already have 11000 miles on it. No serious complaints about it.

The negatives. Heat. She cooks my thighs in the hot weather. Not enough for me to change bikes but quite noticable. Also the big windshield gets pushed around by traffic at highway speeds and high winds. And thats it!!

The pros. Good power. Comfortable. Handles easily for a big heavy bike. 6 gears. Cruise control.

I commute 45 miles each way almost every day. Its a great ride!

As far as dealers go. I think its hit or miss. The first one I went to was not customer friendly in the parts dept or management. Service was great. The one I go to now is much better all over but I double check service as its not quite as good as the first one.

Goid luck with your new rude.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2012 Nomad 1700
Cobra Luggage Rack
Airlite Crash Bar Chaps
Kuryakyn Offset Highway Pegs
Vulcan Emblem on Passenger Back Rest
Fire and Steel Light Bar
Signal Dynamics Headlight Modulator
Wolo Bad Boy Horn
Kuryakyn Power Point
Back Off XP Brake Light Modulator

08 900 Custom - Traded in!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 06:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
I have a 2012 Nomad. Bought it new last October. And I already have 11000 miles on it. No serious complaints about it.

The negatives. Heat. She cooks my thighs in the hot weather. Not enough for me to change bikes but quite noticable. Also the big windshield gets pushed around by traffic at highway speeds and high winds. And thats it!!

The pros. Good power. Comfortable. Handles easily for a big heavy bike. 6 gears. Cruise control.

I commute 45 miles each way almost every day. Its a great ride!

As far as dealers go. I think its hit or miss. The first one I went to was not customer friendly in the parts dept or management. Service was great. The one I go to now is much better all over but I double check service as its not quite as good as the first one.

Goid luck with your new rude.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Is the heat issue attributed to exhaust or engine heat?
Is the heat due to cat. converters?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 06:41 AM

I would say the heat is a combination of exhaust and engine heat. I have a 2009 and the retrofitted heat shield kit (which a new one should already have) has helped. With 1700 cc of engine stuffed between your legs it's not hard to imagine it could be a warm ride on a hot day. My only heat complaint is on hot days when stuck in traffic, what bike isn't hot then?

Also, if you really don't like the heat you can install the aftermarket KAMS kit on the Nomad (comes stock on the Voyager) that helps blow engine heat down to the ground.

2009 1700 Nomad
Candy Diamond Red/Pearl Luster Beige
Light Bar
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 07:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan66 View Post
I would say the heat is a combination of exhaust and engine heat. I have a 2009 and the retrofitted heat shield kit (which a new one should already have) has helped. With 1700 cc of engine stuffed between your legs it's not hard to imagine it could be a warm ride on a hot day. My only heat complaint is on hot days when stuck in traffic, what bike isn't hot then?

Also, if you really don't like the heat you can install the aftermarket KAMS kit on the Nomad (comes stock on the Voyager) that helps blow engine heat down to the ground.
I just figure that because the Nomad is liquid cooled it had to run cooler than my 2012 StreetGlide.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 07:22 AM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2010 Vulcan Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Black & silver
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider1950 View Post
Just sold my 2012 StreetGlide with 7000 miles on it. The SG was a nice bike but for the majority of riding I am doing I feel it was just too much bike (yeah I know I took a pretty good hit selling a bike less than a year old). Personally I didn't care for the fairing as it seemed to cause too much buffeting no matter what I added or did to eliminate the issue. I also didn't care for all the extraneous engine noise (valve train and primary noise) that is excepted by the die hard Harley riders as "normal". If I was to stay with Harley I think the FatBoy would be a better choice for what I am looking for but I don't think I am willing to except the inferior antiquated mechanical design that Harley presents, especially with my previous experience.

Also to be perfectly honest I didn't care for the attitude of both Harley and some of the dealers towards the customer. It seems the market share that Harley enjoys is directly reflected by the attitude towards customers, and beings I am not a dye in the wool Harley guy I figured it was time to cut my losses and look in a different direction. So enough Harley bashing.

I realize there is no perfect motorcycle out there and any choice will be a series of compromises. But minimizing the compromises to the minimum is the goal. The style of riding I enjoy is around town cruising and two to three day road trips.

So this brings me to a new 1700 Vulcan Nomad as a possible (probable) good choice for what I am looking for from a motorcycle. The only thing the Nomad doesn't offer that I would really like to have is ABS brakes, but otherwise it seems it would fit the bill nicely. Also beings I have zero metric experience I have no idea what I am in for as far as do it yourself maintenance and what to expect from dealer service depts. for warranty issues.

So I understand you guys will have a tendency to be somewhat biased but I would like to get some opinions as to what I am thinking and also to what your personal experiences have been with the concerns I may have.
Thanks
Don't know about in the USA, but here in Oz, the 2010 N0mad has ABS
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 07:59 AM
Top Contributor

Since you asked for opinions, mine would be your going sideways. Perhaps it's time for a connie? (Concourse with abs).

2009 VN900 Classic LT.
Nova Scotia, Canada.
Cobra luggage rack.
Kuryakyn Grand Tourer luggage bag.
Kuryakyn air filter cover.
170/80/15 Metzler rear tire.
Fire and Ice passenger floorboards.
Stage 2 debaffle (screens left intact).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page