my vaquero wont start - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor
 
element80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Texan born and raised.
Posts: 573
Garage
Angry my vaquero wont start

well, there has been drama in the home and I suspect my bike has been tampered with by the old lady

the key to my vaquero was bent and crooked yesterday am when i went to start it...so bad the key wouldn't go into the ignition...i bent it straight and tried to start the bike....it turns over, fires, then idles so rough...rougher than a pan head and dies...making terrible noises...almost like only one cylinder is firing....the second you give it throttle it dies.

yall think she put sugar in my gas tank?


i guess i will drain the gas, and check the spark plugs, PCV/ignition wiring and fuel filter...any other advice would be fantastic

traded the vaquero for a streetglide
element80 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 01:01 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
Old Bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Clarksville, TN
Year/Make/Model: 2017 Kawasaki Vaquero
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Red
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,384
Check the oil as well.

Jerry "Old Bear" Barker
Clarksville, TN
Americas Guardians PS MC
Tennessee 16-A Chapter
"Blaze" 2017 Vaquero
Old Bear is offline  
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 01:03 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
king_arthur1953's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Searcy, Arkansas
Posts: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by element80 View Post
well, there has been drama in the home and I suspect my bike has been tampered with by the old lady

the key to my vaquero was bent and crooked yesterday am when i went to start it...so bad the key wouldn't go into the ignition...i bent it straight and tried to start the bike....it turns over, fires, then idles so rough...rougher than a pan head and dies...making terrible noises...almost like only one cylinder is firing....the second you give it throttle it dies.

yall think she put sugar in my gas tank?


i guess i will drain the gas, and check the spark plugs, PCV/ignition wiring and fuel filter...any other advice would be fantastic
try swapping the plug wires. Could be that easy.

Pastor Ron
"A man's true character is determined by what he does when no one is looking."
Pastor "That Biker Church"
President North Arkansas HonorBound Motorcycle Ministries
President/Founder "Wounded Spirit Ministries Inc."
Patriot Guard Rider

USAF 1971-19752010 Voyager 1700 ABS
Kawasaki CB Radio, J&B Elite headset, Ray's Throttle Mod, Road Commander II, Sagebrush Whale Tail Tank Bib, Firestik NGP CB antenna, Firestick AM/FM antenna eliminator, Amsoil engine oil and coolant
king_arthur1953 is offline  
 
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 01:12 PM
Top Contributor
 
Daboo311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ms.
Posts: 2,098
Quote:
there has been drama in the home
I reckon asking perpetrator is out of the question?


If key was bent, a good guess is that the gas tank was sabotaged...
I wouldn't fire it up again until you know for sure.
Daboo311 is offline  
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 01:59 PM
Top Contributor
 
Romans5.8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Missouri
Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,620
Garage
I would REMOVE the tank, then remove the fuel pump to drain the fuel. If there is anything foreign in the tank, you don't want to risk ruining the pump by 'pumping it out'. Since it's a fuel injected bike, you can't just 'drain' it by loosening a hose.

If there are contaminants in the tank, it needs to be thoroughly cleaned, pump as well. Hopefully the injectors are okay.

I hate to say it but you need to give a thorough thrice-over with your bike, including brake lines, potentially cut wires, etc. If there is additional damage, just a 'heads up', if you want the insurance to cover it they'll usually require charges to be filed. Neighbor just went through that when his 16 year old sons girlfriend got mad at him and keyed his car! Only way the insurance would cover it is if she was charged, or at least, there was a police report. We did a little reading and found that it's pretty much standard operating procedure for any sort of 'vandalism' to REQUIRE police involvement in order to make a claim.

Sheesh, what a day. Hope everything turns out okay for you in the end...

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Romans5.8 is offline  
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 02:25 PM
Top Contributor
 
reddyford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: 50 miles NE of Buffalo
Posts: 2,001
Garage
My first thought was sugar...they say (never tried) that to know for sure is to taste. Yuck!!
reddyford is offline  
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor
 
element80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Texan born and raised.
Posts: 573
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daboo311 View Post
I reckon asking perpetrator is out of the question?


If key was bent, a good guess is that the gas tank was sabotaged...
I wouldn't fire it up again until you know for sure.
Well, she denied and then flipped on me and kicked me out of my own house - (lease is up at end of July anyway so no biggie - she would never admit it...she is a paralegal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
I would REMOVE the tank, then remove the fuel pump to drain the fuel. If there is anything foreign in the tank, you don't want to risk ruining the pump by 'pumping it out'. Since it's a fuel injected bike, you can't just 'drain' it by loosening a hose.

If there are contaminants in the tank, it needs to be thoroughly cleaned, pump as well. Hopefully the injectors are okay.

I hate to say it but you need to give a thorough thrice-over with your bike, including brake lines, potentially cut wires, etc. If there is additional damage, just a 'heads up', if you want the insurance to cover it they'll usually require charges to be filed. Neighbor just went through that when his 16 year old sons girlfriend got mad at him and keyed his car! Only way the insurance would cover it is if she was charged, or at least, there was a police report. We did a little reading and found that it's pretty much standard operating procedure for any sort of 'vandalism' to REQUIRE police involvement in order to make a claim.

Sheesh, what a day. Hope everything turns out okay for you in the end...
so I need to remove the fuel pump, and its inside the tank?

fml

traded the vaquero for a streetglide
element80 is offline  
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 03:13 PM
BOTM Winner, April 2013
 
tstorey823's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Orlando, Fl.
Posts: 701
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by element80 View Post
Well, she denied and then flipped on me and kicked me out of my own house - (lease is up at end of July anyway so no biggie - she would never admit it...she is a paralegal



so I need to remove the fuel pump, and its inside the tank?

fml
I just sent you a PM.

AKA The Green Hornet
tstorey823 is offline  
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 03:29 PM
Top Contributor
 
Scott_in_TX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 2,221
Garage
The one person I know that burned a motor up with sugar was a neighbor kid that was stealing my Dads lawn mower gas.
It has always been my understanding that sugar will run fine at first then lock up the engine.
If it is contaminated fuel, I would guess it's something else.

However;
I think if you remove the tank and empty it through the cap. Swish a half gallon or so around in it. Then re-install the tank; you should be able to put some known clean fuel back into it; remove the hose from the pump and turn the key on for a few seconds. It should pump out any dirty fuel left in the pump. Be ready to catch several ounces.

How engine savvy is the ol lady? Could she hide her tracks or are you looking for a sabotage of opportunity (cut hose, pulled wire, ext)?

Hoping for the best,
Scott

2012 Voyager 1700 ---SOLD
Pearl Alpine White/Pearl Luster Beige
Nice

2011 Rocket III Touring
Phantom Black
Naughty

2016 Indian Roadmaster
Thunder Black

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do
Scott_in_TX is offline  
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 09:01 PM
Top Contributor
 
twowheeladdict's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 2,656
Garage
Did you check the outlest of the exhaust pipes. Too many movies where they stuff things into the exhaust.

My wife wouldn't even dare do something like that. She would just chop off my manhood.

2010 Vulcan Voyager 1700 ABS, 2007 Vulcan Mean Streak 1600
2012 Concours 1400, 2011 Versys 650, 2012 KLX250S

see my garage for list of accessories
twowheeladdict is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My 650 S wont start sometimes billn559 Vulcan 650 S 5 06-20-2018 09:31 PM
bike wont start, wont go into gear. knightrider Vulcan 800 18 07-11-2013 01:30 PM
My Kawi Wont Start Roenoe17 Vulcan 1500 11 02-15-2011 02:00 PM
My vulcan wont start The O man Vulcan 1500 3 04-24-2010 12:28 PM
Bike wont start kccbrf4 Vulcan 500 2 03-15-2009 07:50 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome