Anyone successfully de-baffled a 1700 CLASSIC LT? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Anyone successfully de-baffled a 1700 CLASSIC LT?

I have done a lot of searching and I see tons of posts & videos where guys have de-baffled everything but a 1700 Classic LT. Then I found a thread where someone ran into a ton of trouble on a 1700.

I love the look of my pipes but want to get them sounding better.

So has anyone successfully done the deed on a Classic LT?

Yeah, I know I should just buy a set of slip ons but the truth is that my finances are tighter than a banjo string So I want to go this route first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 12:01 PM

I have removed 4 of the six, just need a hole saw and extension. You can get to two from the rear of the muflers and you need to remove the mufflers to get the front ones.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 01:22 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Just because it is louder doesn't mean it will sound better. A tuned aftermarket exhaust can sound great without being over the top loud and making the bike sound like a '72 pickup with a hole in the muffler. I see you are in Flint Michigan. Just read an article claiming that it is the most violent city in the US.

2010 Vulcan Voyager 1700 ABS, 2007 Vulcan Mean Streak 1600
2012 Concours 1400, 2011 Versys 650, 2012 KLX250S

see my garage for list of accessories

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I see you are in Flint Michigan. Just read an article claiming that it is the most violent city in the US.
Yeah, it can get a little "sporty" around these parts. My two rules are Go armed and keep my head on a swivel.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 03:43 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Just because it is louder doesn't mean it will sound better. A tuned aftermarket exhaust can sound great without being over the top loud and making the bike sound like a '72 pickup with a hole in the muffler. I see you are in Flint Michigan. Just read an article claiming that it is the most violent city in the US.
+1 and also -1. LOL.

Sometimes debaffled can sound really good. Sometimes it can sound awful. OP, if you can't be reasonably sure it's going to sound good, you should be prepared to buy some aftermarket pipes anyway. A debaffle is irreversible!

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 09:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to Vulcan Hammer Send a message via Skype™ to Vulcan Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpy View Post
I have done a lot of searching and I see tons of posts & videos where guys have de-baffled everything but a 1700 Classic LT. Then I found a thread where someone ran into a ton of trouble on a 1700.

I love the look of my pipes but want to get them sounding better.

So has anyone successfully done the deed on a Classic LT?

Yeah, I know I should just buy a set of slip ons but the truth is that my finances are tighter than a banjo string So I want to go this route first.
Debaffling using a hole saw on the centre plates can be risky on a Classic/Classic LT.

I removed the back two centre plates from each muffler on my Classic LT with a 1.25" hole saw and it sounded great, until it was warmed up. Then I got a high pitched chirp on decel. I know of at least one other 1700 owner who got the same results.

After a lot of experimentation, I was able to jam a 1.38" diameter sink crumb cup in the previous location of the end centre disk on each muffler. This finally cured the chirp on decel. I get a nice low rumble that is not too loud, but some decel burble is noticeable after the engine is really warm...not loud popping, but annoying. Richening up my Bully has helped some, but not totally.

If you are going to risk debaffling, just remove the end centre disk from each muffler and see how that sounds. If I were to do it again, that's as far as I would go.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 02:09 AM

32mm hole saw on an extension bar and drill right up to the cats...the pipes are too long to be obnoxious loud. My aussie bike ran better for it but all the significant improvement came with a fuel controller.

it's turned the bike from...farting through a drinking straw..to a really responsive motor and I found that I seem to be able,,through the fuel controller, change the power deliver to suit a riding style. The motor will never be a fire breathing 100hp plus HD, but pretty dam good socialable ride.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 05:14 AM
Top Contributor

I did not know there were fire breathing 100 HP Harleys any where ?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2010 Voyager
Scootworks 2 inch fat risers
vance&Hines slipons
Mustang Wide Touring studded
PCV
Michelin commander 2
Ipod adapter
Titanium header wrap
8 to 12.5 inch bagger windshield
Iso grips with Rays throttle mod
Chrome rear floor board covers
Kams Kit
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 09:22 AM

Not true on no 100 hp fire breathing harleys...i have one

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dday View Post
Not true on no 100 hp fire breathing harleys...i have one

hahaha...every HD is a fire breathing 100 ponnies...that's the sales pitch..

how do you know a HD owner is at a party ?...just wait they'll find you......

sorry dday, but that a running joke here...

all seriousness...a few mates do have HD's....and to much money...their HDs are loud...very fast....and fun....not for touring though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode