Vaquero Fairing Crack - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Vaquero Fairing Crack

I just hit 1300 miles on my 2011 Vaquero I bought this spring and decided to give her a bath. I'm washing the fairing and notice the right side seems loose??? I look closer and notice a crack along the bottom edge between the fairing and lowers. It appears this goes all the way around on to the inside where the bolt is that holds the fairing on. It appears the plastic where the bolt goes through the fairing isn't even there?? Is this something the warranty will cover to repair? I assume the entire fairing will need replaced? I'll attach a pic but it is pretty hard to see.

Thanks,

Jerry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fairing.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	34801  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 08:05 PM

It should be warranty, I cannot see why it would not be.

2014 Honda Gold Wing
2011 Vaquero sold
2009 900lt sold
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 08:50 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
It would be warranty unless they can find some way of putting the blame on you. Depends on your relationship with your dealer.

2010 Vulcan Voyager 1700 ABS, 2007 Vulcan Mean Streak 1600
2012 Concours 1400, 2011 Versys 650, 2012 KLX250S

see my garage for list of accessories

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 10:51 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Find a good dealer. You don't HAVE to get warranty work done at the dealer you bought the bike from. Find a dealer who will work with you!

My wifes bike had a dud battery 2 months from new. Completely toast, internal short I guess. The dealer I bought it from said no dice. They said Honda only warranties batteries 30 days from new, even though the bike has a 5 year warranty. I was bummed but, I suppose it makes sense. It's very easy to trash a new battery by discharging it! (Although that's not what happened!).

Anyway, I talked to another shop closer to home. The OEM battery was like $170 so I checked the place closer to see if they had one cheaper. I talked to the parts guy, he came out with a battery and said "here ya go". At first I was annoyed thinking "No, dude, I wanted a price!" and I said "Okay, how much". "Nothing, it's only two months old right?". I told him what the other dealer said, and he just told me "We'll find a way to get our money", insinuating they know some loophole or some way to get Honda to pay for the part. Wow! So the dealer I bought two bikes, helmets, gear, parts, tools, accessories from (a big big dealership) said no-way no-how, and a dealer I've not spent a dime in bent the rules AND took the risk (If Honda says no they are out, not me, they gave me the battery BEFORE making the claim). Needless to say, that place (which is closer anyway) is where I go now for everything.

Anyway; just throwing that out there. If one dealer says no, see if you can find one that says yes. Though I can't imagine a crack like that not be covered.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 12:50 AM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
Find a good dealer. You don't HAVE to get warranty work done at the dealer you bought the bike from. Find a dealer who will work with you!

My wifes bike had a dud battery 2 months from new. Completely toast, internal short I guess. The dealer I bought it from said no dice. They said Honda only warranties batteries 30 days from new, even though the bike has a 5 year warranty. I was bummed but, I suppose it makes sense. It's very easy to trash a new battery by discharging it! (Although that's not what happened!).

Anyway, I talked to another shop closer to home. The OEM battery was like $170 so I checked the place closer to see if they had one cheaper. I talked to the parts guy, he came out with a battery and said "here ya go". At first I was annoyed thinking "No, dude, I wanted a price!" and I said "Okay, how much". "Nothing, it's only two months old right?". I told him what the other dealer said, and he just told me "We'll find a way to get our money", insinuating they know some loophole or some way to get Honda to pay for the part. Wow! So the dealer I bought two bikes, helmets, gear, parts, tools, accessories from (a big big dealership) said no-way no-how, and a dealer I've not spent a dime in bent the rules AND took the risk (If Honda says no they are out, not me, they gave me the battery BEFORE making the claim). Needless to say, that place (which is closer anyway) is where I go now for everything.

Anyway; just throwing that out there. If one dealer says no, see if you can find one that says yes. Though I can't imagine a crack like that not be covered.
Thats a good deal. I have a dealer just like yours.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2010 Voyager
Scootworks 2 inch fat risers
vance&Hines slipons
Mustang Wide Touring studded
PCV
Michelin commander 2
Ipod adapter
Titanium header wrap
8 to 12.5 inch bagger windshield
Iso grips with Rays throttle mod
Chrome rear floor board covers
Kams Kit
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 03:55 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies so far guys. The dealer I bought the bike from is just over an hour away. There is another dealer about 20 minutes away that I am going to check with first simply because they are closer. I would have bought the bike at the closer dealership but they didn't have any Vaquero's for sale at the time. Wish me luck!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 10:27 AM

Garage
Good Luck!!!!

Steve
Rear Speakers
SuperBright LED brake light flasher
Soon...Power Commander V Fuel/Ignition
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 09:49 AM

I really doubt there will be a problem getting this covered. They'll just look to make sure there is no signs of trauma to the area. I had a bag crack on my 2009 Venture and Yamaha covered it w/o a problem. Yamaha and Honda in my experience are harder to deal with when it comes to warranty issues.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

I took the bike to the local dealer on June 24th. First thing out of the service guy's mouth was 'Did you buy the bike here?". Dealer looked it over, took my info, and said they would call it into to Kawasaki and get back to me. Its been a week to the day today and I haven't heard anything from the dealer. I call in and am told they tried to call Kawasaki on June 28th but weren't able to reach them???? They said they would 'try' again today. That was a few hours ago and still nothing? Am I being impatient? I use this bike everyday to commute to work and am afraid the crack is going to spread. Do I just suck it up and try another dealer?
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 03:13 PM

If you have to, ask to speak to the service mgr. Had to do that to get a mirror replaced under warranty. I got tired of the same excuses from the parts guy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode