Another victim of broken wire behind ignition - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Another victim of broken wire behind ignition

Bike died on the way to Florida. It just electrically shut down. I was sure the main fuse blew, and had an idea why. Wish I had heeded the other reports on the forum and tore the bike down prior to heading out.

I couldn't have broken down at a better time and place. I was heading into Andalusia, AL when everything went black. I coasted into a restaurant parking lot and there was an open spot near a covered porch. Pouring rain out so I got off the bike and under the porch to take in my situation.

I decided that I didn't want to start taking the bike apart in the rain, so I called my ROK roadside assistance. I have a $250 benefit so thought maybe I could get the bike towed to Fort Walton Beach and deal with getting it fixed at the Hotel or by a local dealer. Roadside assistance said the tow company wanted an additional $150 to tow to Fort Walton Beach 75 miles away. I was about to accept that when a couple who were sitting nearby introduced themselves. They are the owners of the local Honda dealership. Rudy offered to open up his shop and have the bike towed there. I told him I had to be at work on Monday and would need to rent a car. He shook his head about the availability of a car rental place, and then to my surprise offered to loan me a bike to continue my trip. I was shocked! Then he probably thought about it a little and realizing that my bike was loaded and it was raining, so he decided to loan me a car from his used car dealership. WOW!

So, I continued on to Florida with a loaner car. I had to wait until the following Tuesday before the Honda dealership opened and the tech could look at it. As suspected, a worn wire that shorted and blew the main fuse. I contacted Kawasaki to see if they will pay their usual warranty rate to at least reimburse me for a portion of the cost since the bike is under warranty and there is not a Kawasaki dealership near Andalusia. They told me to send in the receipts and description of the repair and they will take it under consideration.

Life is an adventure, and sometimes you meet great people during that adventure. I am sure there are great people everywhere, but the folks in the south are top notch and I am so glad I live in the south.

PLEASE PLEASE pull the tank trim and inspect your wiring. Better yet, wrap some additonal tape around the wires before you break down in the middle of nowhere. I now wish I had.

If you are ever passing through Andalusia, stop in at Jackson Honda and say hi.

Here are links to other posts regarding this problem.
https://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=34730

https://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/s...ouston+problem

Update: Got the check from Kawasaki reimbursing me the amount I paid the Honda shop to repair the bike. Thank You Kawasak for standing behind your bikes.

2010 Vulcan Voyager 1700 ABS, 2007 Vulcan Mean Streak 1600
2012 Concours 1400, 2011 Versys 650, 2012 KLX250S

see my garage for list of accessories

Last edited by twowheeladdict; 08-10-2013 at 07:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 07:26 PM

Garage
I've read the other posts on this subject but you've pretty much convinced me now :-)
Glad to hear things worked for you through the people who helped along the way. Could have been a real drag if that wasn't the case.
post #3 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 07:30 PM

Guess maybe I will do just that this weekend and check the wiring.

Glad things worked out so well, it does help reinforce our faith in humanity once in awhile.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2011 Voyager
K&N air filter, Cobra PowerPro Tuner, drilled stock exhaust
RACNRAY throttle mod, full Ipod/comm setup
Kuryakyn Longhorn Offset Highway Pegs
Mustang seat
29,000 miles and climbing

post #4 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 08:03 PM

Man...bummer. Glad you broke down in about the perfect situation though! Good karma!

Is this a 1700 issue or just a Voyager issue?

Chris
Black 2011 Vaquero 1700
Black 2007 900 Custom (sold)
VBA #02389
VROC #24810
post #5 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 08:22 PM

I recently went through a similiar breakdown in harrisburg, PA. And I was able to roll into high strengh vtwin motorcycle shop. Not the south but the hospitality was amazing. A family owned cycle shop that fixed my bearings for $69.00. Including a recomendation of what part of town to stay in and a ride to and from hotel. Great people. Sent them a thank you note with a gift when I got home. Great people and very thankful.

2009 Nomad
post #6 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_law23 View Post
Man...bummer. Glad you broke down in about the perfect situation though! Good karma!

Is this a 1700 issue or just a Voyager issue?
It is a 1700 issue, I checked my wires a couple of months agoon my 1700 classic and I could see a rub mark, fixed it then so I don't have an issue later
post #7 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 08:47 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
So do you need to have used most of the fuel in the tank, then remove the tank to get to all the wiring?

Roadie
2011 Vaquero

Amsoil Oil | TLC Bag Liners
Mini Beast Air Horn | Sagebrush Bag Chaps
Power Commander V | Cobra Tri-Oval SlipOns
Thunder Tornado Air Kit | Madcorider Oil Tempstick
Marvellas Trailer Hitch Kit | Rumbling Pride Flag Mounts
Utopia Drivers Backrest | Sagebrush Leather Tank Bib
Michelin Commander II Tires | Classic's Engine/Road Bar Chaps
Wind Vest 10" Smoked Windscreen | Avon Grips with RacNRay's Throttle Mod

4 Wheels Move the Body & 2 Wheels Move the Soul
post #8 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 09:03 PM

Had my tank off last summer when I installed my Cobra PowerPro, and it only takes about 5 minutes or so. If I remember right, when you unplug the fuel line, the remainder doesn't drain out... someone correct me if I'm wrong, I know it doesn't sound right
The ignition bezal just pops off with upward pressure. Unplug couple of lines and the tank can be pulled back from the forward mounts.
It would for sure be a lighter in weight with less fuel but I think it will stay in it either way.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2011 Voyager
K&N air filter, Cobra PowerPro Tuner, drilled stock exhaust
RACNRAY throttle mod, full Ipod/comm setup
Kuryakyn Longhorn Offset Highway Pegs
Mustang seat
29,000 miles and climbing
post #9 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 10:36 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Kawasaki Classic
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Black
Garage
As others have said before. The wirs can be inspected by just removing the tank trim. If the wire lays close to the frame, even if it is not rubbed I recommend protecting it. Remove ignition trim ring, remove seat, remove two bolts that hold tank, move tank up and to the right and support it. Protect wire with electrical tape, rubber hose, or split wire loom. I did not have to completly remove the tank. If your bike is under warranty I would ask your dealer if they will check it out.

Stitch
post #10 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 08:57 AM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2010 Vulcan Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Black & silver
Garage
this problem should be a recall
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page