Spark knock w/ new plugs.. anyone else? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Spark knock w/ new plugs.. anyone else?

About 6000 miles on the 2012 Voyager and I thought I may be running too lean, so I pulled the plugs to check it out. The plugs looked fine but I replaced them anyway since I already had it apart and purchased new ones (OEM spec NGK). I buttoned it all up and went for a ride. Ouch, horrific spark knock from the rear cylinder. I removed and inspected the rear plug and saw nothing wrong with it. So I double checked the gap, installed and torqued to spec. This time I ran it up before putting the tank back together and the knock was still there. So I pulled it out, then cleaned and gapped the old plug and put it back in. No knock, it runs great. I suppose the plug could be bad, I didn't have another one to try. But that seems unlikely with no sign of physical damage. Any ideas??

2012 Vulcan Voyager 1700
ISO grips // RacnRay throttle mod
Thunder teardrop air kit // decorative left side plate // throttle body gasket
V&H Twin Slash slip-ons // DynoJet PCV w/ ignition + E80's map (modified)
Kuryakyn Longhorn Offset Dually ISO-pegs // Mirror extensions
Marvellas rear passenger foot pegs // grab rails
RAM cup holder // GPS holder // Phone holder // Camera mount
Drift Stealth 2 // Sena SMH10 Bluetooth headset/intercom
Russell Day Long seat w/ backrest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 01:19 AM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2010 Vulcan Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Black & silver
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDragon View Post
About 6000 miles on the 2012 Voyager and I thought I may be running too lean, so I pulled the plugs to check it out. The plugs looked fine but I replaced them anyway since I already had it apart and purchased new ones (OEM spec NGK). I buttoned it all up and went for a ride. Ouch, horrific spark knock from the rear cylinder. I removed and inspected the rear plug and saw nothing wrong with it. So I double checked the gap, installed and torqued to spec. This time I ran it up before putting the tank back together and the knock was still there. So I pulled it out, then cleaned and gapped the old plug and put it back in. No knock, it runs great. I suppose the plug could be bad, I didn't have another one to try. But that seems unlikely with no sign of physical damage. Any ideas??
Bet it is the new plug.
Just because it is new & no noticeable damage, does not mean there isn't any.
Bought a pack of fuses once, could not see any damage, all looked ok, but the 1st 3 I used did not work
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 02:53 AM

i have had this before
i was a mobile mechanic and drove out to a jag not going that the customer had serviced him self and would not start .
checked all the normal thingsout and was fine ,the brand of plug i didnt like but they tested fine out of the car ,after 1hour of double checking i said i am going to put in new plugs from the brand i carried and it started first go ,so put half the pugs back and it missed ,they broke down under load from compression

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 11:48 AM
Lifetime Premium

In 36 1/2 years workin on skoots I have sold and installed literally thousands of plugs. This ole memory of mine can't remember how many but I have experienced the occasional bad new plug, and it certainly sounds like you got one.

One thing I have to mention is due to the Iridium tipped design of these plugs I have seen no reason to change them untill at least 30,000 miles, maybe more. This is of course dependant on proper tuning (i.e. not running rich). I replaced mine at just under 22,000 mls cuz like you I was already there doing coolant change and other stuff, but the original plugs were in perfect shape with no electrode wear, the gap was still in factory specs!

RACNRAY

"TRUE HAPPINESS IS IN THE HEART,NOT IN THE OUTSIDE FIXES!!"
WITH OVER 42 YEARS AS A MOTORCYCLE TECHNICIAN/HI-PO SHOP OWNER I AM A PURVEYOR OF FACT NOT FICTION!
"WE LIVE OUR LIVES IN CHAINS NEVER KNOWING WE HAD THE KEY"
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the feedback. I've been a shade-tree mechanic for about 40 years and have never run into a bad plug out of the box. Obviously defects are possible with any part, but with my limited experience I didn't know if it was likely. It seems to be running great right now so I guess I'll check it out again in another 25,000 miles. Thanks again.

2012 Vulcan Voyager 1700
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 06:08 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
If it ain't broke... don't fix it...... I have had a couple bad plugs in the past and it will drive you crazy...... plus other new parts that were bad.... the first thing I thought was I had damaged the wire some how....

My plugs looked great at 8k miles.... I ran the plugs in my Venture over 50k before I changed them and they looked well enough to leave also. But like a lot of things, it is a pain in the rear to get there so go ahead and change them.... 240k miles only 4 sets of plugs.....

Bubba in TX

2011 Voyager "Betty Clunker"

A bad day on a motorcycle is better than a good day in a car

Some people collect T-shirts
I actually ride

Voyager 1700 owners...
WRAP your pipes....
You will be glad you did...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
U.S.A.F. Retired

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Nye County Nevada
Motor Officer Retired
Blue Knights Texas 43

Last edited by Bubba in TX; 06-13-2013 at 06:11 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Good advice, Bubba. I had done several things to the bike at the same time so I thought sure that I screwed something up. The biggest thing was removing all the vampire connectors on the PCV wires and replaced them with soldered pigtails and spade connectors. I only replaced the plugs because, well, it was already apart. Since I had never experienced a bad plug out of the box I thought sure I'd screwed up the wiring. Man, was I worried, but everything is good now. And eliminating the vampire connectors seems to have cured the problem I had with a surging cruise control in 6th gear. All is well that ends well.

2012 Vulcan Voyager 1700
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 06:49 AM
Lifetime Premium

GLAD TO HEAR...when our skoots are happy boy o boy WE sure are happy!!

"TRUE HAPPINESS IS IN THE HEART,NOT IN THE OUTSIDE FIXES!!"
WITH OVER 42 YEARS AS A MOTORCYCLE TECHNICIAN/HI-PO SHOP OWNER I AM A PURVEYOR OF FACT NOT FICTION!
"WE LIVE OUR LIVES IN CHAINS NEVER KNOWING WE HAD THE KEY"
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 10:05 PM

WRONG PLUG. Too long. Hits top of piston. Wait 3 days, will stop pinging when punches hole through top of piston. (HEH HEH HEH)

hank

2009 VV1700 ABS, Champion triked
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode