wrapping pipes: problems, maybe? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
BOTM Winner, April 2013

Garage
wrapping pipes: problems, maybe?

I was talking to the mechanics at the shop I use in Orlando (Cycle Pro, 407-277-5557) about pros/cons of wrapping pipes. They both strongly advised against it, saying that wrapping the pipes can lead to burned exhaust valves. They said that if you trap the heat on the header, the heat will travel back into the motor, and the first thing it hits is the exhaust valve. He said the header is designed to dissipate heat, and if you curtail that function by wrapping them, the heat will have to travel back into the motor.
I am not saying this is a scientific fact, but it does seem to make sense. Has anyone here (who has had the pipes wrapped for a long time) had any issues with damaged exhaust valves? Maybe Racnray can chime in on this subject.
For my peace of mind, I think I will just flush the coolant and add some MoCool to it and leave it at that.

AKA The Green Hornet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 11:00 PM

Garage
Mine have been wrapped for over a year....wouldnt know how to check for this though. I would be intrested to know the same as you. Hope its false.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 12:42 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Mine have been wrapped for over a year and absolutely no problems. But then I knew there would not be any problems. I tell ya, to this day I still hear some of the strangest sayings from people. Even if there was any truth to what he said, these heads are water cooled and will keep them in a safe temperature. There are a lot of riders on this forum that have wrapped their pipes with great success in reducing the heat radiation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Vulcan Voyager ABS/ my "Blue Goose"
BIG 3 = PCV w/ Ign/Cobra Slip-ons/Thunder Air Kit
Kuryakyn "Longhorn Offset Highway Pegs"
Air Hawk2 seat cusion/Remote Control for house
National Cycle Fender Tips//Utopia Back Rest
Gorilla Alarm/Strebel Air Horn/14 in. Dark Shield
Kaw Rear Speakers/Galfer Break Pads
Garmin GPS, RAM mounted on break reservoir
Chrome Mug Holder/Extra Chrome/Wrapped Pipes
Flags and Mounts from "Rumbling Pride"
Dunlop SP5000 Car Tire /AMSOIL & Filter

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 10:27 AM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Kawasaki Vaquero
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Red
I disagree with the premise. Exhaust pipes are commonly enclosed in shields or wrapped to reduce heat transfer to the surrounding area, often by the manufacturers. The primary purpose of the pipe is to exhaust the heat and gases in a safe area. A secondary benefit comes from proper back-pressure and tuned length for more effective scavenging of burnt gases from the cylinder. If cooling was to be an important function, I would expect heavier materials with cooling fins, and air flow directed to the exposed pipes.

Now that I've flopped my jaws, I say this with no formal education in such things, but compiling things that I have read and heard over many years. In other words, I could be wrong!

Jerry "Old Bear" Barker
Clarksville, TN
Americas Guardians PS MC
Tennessee 16-A Chapter
"Blaze" 2017 Vaquero
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 11:39 AM

Garage
I think this makes sense.

I wrapped the pipes on my V and H 2 into 1 with my old classic 1500. I loved the look, but the amount of heat that is captured is intense. The theory is that the heat is supposed to flume exhaust and unburned gasses from the heads faster and more efficiently and I get that as well, but the trapped heat is insane. On the bike and it was carb (less efficient than the FI model of course) it should have yielded better results. I eventually unwwrapped the pipes and put the heat deflectors back on. The bike ran cooler, was more fun to sit on at traffic lights and performance was not inhibited. I have been reading about guys wrapping their pipes and I am surprised that on todays FI bikes this mod is necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstorey823 View Post
I was talking to the mechanics at the shop I use in Orlando (Cycle Pro, 407-277-5557) about pros/cons of wrapping pipes. They both strongly advised against it, saying that wrapping the pipes can lead to burned exhaust valves. They said that if you trap the heat on the header, the heat will travel back into the motor, and the first thing it hits is the exhaust valve. He said the header is designed to dissipate heat, and if you curtail that function by wrapping them, the heat will have to travel back into the motor.
I am not saying this is a scientific fact, but it does seem to make sense. Has anyone here (who has had the pipes wrapped for a long time) had any issues with damaged exhaust valves? Maybe Racnray can chime in on this subject.
For my peace of mind, I think I will just flush the coolant and add some MoCool to it and leave it at that.

KARATEMOTO!
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 01:13 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bear View Post
I disagree with the premise. Exhaust pipes are commonly enclosed in shields or wrapped to reduce heat transfer to the surrounding area, often by the manufacturers. The primary purpose of the pipe is to exhaust the heat and gases in a safe area. A secondary benefit comes from proper back-pressure and tuned length for more effective scavenging of burnt gases from the cylinder. If cooling was to be an important function, I would expect heavier materials with cooling fins, and air flow directed to the exposed pipes.

Now that I've flopped my jaws, I say this with no formal education in such things, but compiling things that I have read and heard over many years. In other words, I could be wrong!
You're not wrong Old Bear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
BOTM Winner, April 2013

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsheek View Post
You're not wrong Old Bear.
I would sure like to hear from someone who's has their pipes wrapped for at least 25,000 miles, and hear if they've had any problems with exhaust valves. Personally, I don't mind who wraps their pipes; they're not mine. I plan on keeping my bike for at least 10 years and 150,000 miles, so longevity and reliability are important to me. I realize that most people keep a bike for 3-5 years and 10,000 miles, so if that's the case, the long term effects won't be felt by that owner. I, on the other hand, will still be around to worry about it.

AKA The Green Hornet
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 04:57 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstorey823 View Post
I would sure like to hear from someone who's has their pipes wrapped for at least 25,000 miles, and hear if they've had any problems with exhaust valves. Personally, I don't mind who wraps their pipes; they're not mine. I plan on keeping my bike for at least 10 years and 150,000 miles, so longevity and reliability are important to me. I realize that most people keep a bike for 3-5 years and 10,000 miles, so if that's the case, the long term effects won't be felt by that owner. I, on the other hand, will still be around to worry about it.
I bet Bubba has had a bike with wrapped pipes for at lease that many miles.
He'' weigh in soon, I'm sure.

post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 08:30 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Never heard of that before from any mechanic. Ray would know.... I had a scoot with 240k miles with the pipes wrapped and at 200k miles the valve adjustment and their compression pressure was still within specs... a Yamaha Venture. Plus I have had other scoots with wrapped pipes and have been around them that have been wrapped for more years than than most of you guys have been alive... but other than that I don't have any more scientific proof than those mechanics in Florida I would imagine...

Plus I have never had a pipe "burn" through or rust through.

As I said... Ray wraps pipes and I would respect his answer either way as being from an expert.

Bubba in TX

2011 Voyager "Betty Clunker"

A bad day on a motorcycle is better than a good day in a car

Some people collect T-shirts
I actually ride

Voyager 1700 owners...
WRAP your pipes....
You will be glad you did...

U.S.A.F. Retired

Nye County Nevada
Motor Officer Retired
Blue Knights Texas 43

Last edited by Bubba in TX; 06-09-2013 at 08:33 PM.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 01:36 AM

Garage
hi guys, I ordered wraps and I hope its not a waste of time. I love my vaq.. and heat is the only complaint I have.. 90% of the heat is from the header pipes.. so I hope it works .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode