Stock Speaker Upgrade Advice - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Combat72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Central NC
Posts: 192
Stock Speaker Upgrade Advice

I have a 2010 Voyager that I decided to hard wire my GPS to the accessory wire in the front fairing. Took the left speaker and left accessory box out to get to it. The stock speakers could definitely use an upgrade. I have front and rear speakers so I will need 4. I've reviewed as many threads as I could find but still have some questions. Not looking to add a amp so is there something I should be looking for in particular in regard to specs?? Does it make a difference to use 2-way or 3-way speakers? Just looking to get clearer, crisper sound over stock. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Frank

2010 Voyager/ Metallic Diablo Black/Metallic Imperial Red
1972 Norton Commando - Yellow

PCV(Fuel & Ignition) With Autotune
Gear Advance Fuel & Ignition Mapping
Cobra 4' Scalloped Tip Slip-Ons
Wrapped Exhaust Manifold
Kuryakyn ISO Grips with RacnRay Mod
Kuryakyn Bar End weights
Ultimate Mid-Rider
Polk Audio DB521 speakers
K&N Air Filter
Rear Speakers
Mirror Risers
iPod Adapter
Combat72 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 12:08 AM
Lifetime Premium
 
shepsvoyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sweetser Indiana 2009 Voyager Titanium ABS
Posts: 419
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combat72 View Post
I have a 2010 Voyager that I decided to hard wire my GPS to the accessory wire in the front fairing. Took the left speaker and left accessory box out to get to it. The stock speakers could definitely use an upgrade. I have front and rear speakers so I will need 4. I've reviewed as many threads as I could find but still have some questions. Not looking to add a amp so is there something I should be looking for in particular in regard to specs?? Does it make a difference to use 2-way or 3-way speakers? Just looking to get clearer, crisper sound over stock. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Frank
Frank,
I just put the polk DB521 speakers front and rear in My 09 voyager 2 days ago. They are 2 way as are the stock. I am not adding an amp either. I don't think it is needed.
These speakers sound very good. I can now hear a real difference with the volume from 15 through 30 setting. Stock did not give additional volume after say 18 on the volume where these really do. Nice and clean sound all the way up.
When you add these to the rear speakers,You will have to cut off 3 little tubes inside the enclosures to have clearance for the large magnets. All these do is hold the cable in place and I would say they are from the plastic forming process during manufacture of the housing.
Found these through amazon 55 bucks a set. 110 dollars well spent.
shepsvoyager is offline  
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 07:22 AM
Lifetime Premium
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 864
I just swapped out my stock speakers on my 2011 Vaquero with some Polk DB521's also.

My initial reaction was that the volume sounded lower, but there was something that sounded more pleasing to my ear. I -think- I'm hearing more of the Bass. In fact, I think the volume was sounding lower because I'm not getting as much Treble.

So, I went into the amp settings. I turned "Tone Control" from "Auto" to "Normal" and cranked the Treble up.

Noticeable difference.

Currently I have the Treble turned all the way up, and the Bass set for 2 or 3. I'm still likely going to investigate other amps, but I'm wondering if anybody else has noticed this as well?
Lunatic is offline  
 
post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 09:22 AM
Lifetime Premium
 
shepsvoyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sweetser Indiana 2009 Voyager Titanium ABS
Posts: 419
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic View Post
I just swapped out my stock speakers on my 2011 Vaquero with some Polk DB521's also.

My initial reaction was that the volume sounded lower, but there was something that sounded more pleasing to my ear. I -think- I'm hearing more of the Bass. In fact, I think the volume was sounding lower because I'm not getting as much Treble.

So, I went into the amp settings. I turned "Tone Control" from "Auto" to "Normal" and cranked the Treble up.

Noticeable difference.

Currently I have the Treble turned all the way up, and the Bass set for 2 or 3. I'm still likely going to investigate other amps, but I'm wondering if anybody else has noticed this as well?
That is exactly where My settings ended up after install. These do produce a little bass but not able to pull it out due to the tiny enclosures. This is why I don't feel the need for an amp. If I were planning a big sub in the trunk or bags then I would do the amp. Got more sound than I really need just the way it is now.
shepsvoyager is offline  
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 09:37 AM
Lifetime Premium
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepsvoyager View Post
That is exactly where My settings ended up after install. These do produce a little bass but not able to pull it out due to the tiny enclosures. This is why I don't feel the need for an amp. If I were planning a big sub in the trunk or bags then I would do the amp. Got more sound than I really need just the way it is now.
It's nice to know I'm not insane then. Well, not about this anyway. If I /did/ go with another amp I think I'd like to find one with more equalizer functionality.

It kind of sounds like that's the ticket.
Lunatic is offline  
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Combat72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Central NC
Posts: 192
Thanks for all the replies. Still trying to decide which speaker to go with. I was walking through my local Wally World and happen to see these speakers.

http://www.scosche.com/hd-speakers-5-25-set

$30.00 for the pair. Figured if I didn't like them I could take them back. They appear to be well made and should fit with no issues. I connected one of the Scosche speakers and one of the stock speakers. The stock speaker was sooo much louder than the Sosche. That surprised me. I had read that 3-way speakers would be louder than 2-way. I read on a couple of other posts where similar things happened. Is the stock head unit not putting out enough power to drive them like they need should?

Frank

2010 Voyager/ Metallic Diablo Black/Metallic Imperial Red
1972 Norton Commando - Yellow

PCV(Fuel & Ignition) With Autotune
Gear Advance Fuel & Ignition Mapping
Cobra 4' Scalloped Tip Slip-Ons
Wrapped Exhaust Manifold
Kuryakyn ISO Grips with RacnRay Mod
Kuryakyn Bar End weights
Ultimate Mid-Rider
Polk Audio DB521 speakers
K&N Air Filter
Rear Speakers
Mirror Risers
iPod Adapter
Combat72 is offline  
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 02:30 AM
Senior Member
 
jase64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Spencer Massachusetts
Posts: 440
Garage
hi guys, I just thought i'd add my 2 cents. I went with the Infinity Reference 5032cf 5.25-Inch, 135-Watt High Performance Two-Way Loudspeaker (Pair) on my vaquero. 67.95 on amazon and well worth it. no amp needed and it sounds great. got the bass at 4 and treble at 6 , I feel you cant do any better with only 2 speakers and at 5 1/4 size. when you go to 20 on the volume its really loud. I usually ride with it around 13 .. hope this helps you.. have a safe ride.
jase64 is offline  
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Combat72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Central NC
Posts: 192
So with better quality speakers is the difference going to be noticed at volumes of 15 and up? No real difference at lower volumes?

Frank

2010 Voyager/ Metallic Diablo Black/Metallic Imperial Red
1972 Norton Commando - Yellow

PCV(Fuel & Ignition) With Autotune
Gear Advance Fuel & Ignition Mapping
Cobra 4' Scalloped Tip Slip-Ons
Wrapped Exhaust Manifold
Kuryakyn ISO Grips with RacnRay Mod
Kuryakyn Bar End weights
Ultimate Mid-Rider
Polk Audio DB521 speakers
K&N Air Filter
Rear Speakers
Mirror Risers
iPod Adapter
Combat72 is offline  
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 09:22 AM
Top Contributor
 
captj3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Boynton Bch FL
Posts: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combat72 View Post
Thanks for all the replies. Still trying to decide which speaker to go with. I was walking through my local Wally World and happen to see these speakers.

http://www.scosche.com/hd-speakers-5-25-set

$30.00 for the pair. Figured if I didn't like them I could take them back. They appear to be well made and should fit with no issues. I connected one of the Scosche speakers and one of the stock speakers. The stock speaker was sooo much louder than the Sosche. That surprised me. I had read that 3-way speakers would be louder than 2-way. I read on a couple of other posts where similar things happened. Is the stock head unit not putting out enough power to drive them like they need should?

Frank
Most likely the reason the speaker is lower in volume is because they are not efficient speakers. They just suck up the power the amp is putting out or the impeadence is a wrong match. One other reason is they may not be of the better quality speaker. Your sound is as good as the speakers and amp.

2012 Vaquero Candy Lime Green/Black
1700 Nomad (Deceased)
Cobra Tri-Oval Exhaust
Racnrays Invention (Throttle Mod)
Ivan's Flash
Thunder Tornado Air Kit
captj3 is offline  
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Combat72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Central NC
Posts: 192
Well just pulled the trigger on 4 Polk Audio DB521's. I'm guessing the "sensitivity level/dB level" of the Scosche speaker was low causing the volume to be lower than the stock speaker. It is a 4 ohm speaker but I was not able to find the dB level listed any where. The Polk DB521's are rated at 93dB making them one of the highest I could find. Anyone know what the dB level is for the stock speakers? Hoping they improve the sound for me like they have for others. Thanks for the feedback.

Frank

2010 Voyager/ Metallic Diablo Black/Metallic Imperial Red
1972 Norton Commando - Yellow

PCV(Fuel & Ignition) With Autotune
Gear Advance Fuel & Ignition Mapping
Cobra 4' Scalloped Tip Slip-Ons
Wrapped Exhaust Manifold
Kuryakyn ISO Grips with RacnRay Mod
Kuryakyn Bar End weights
Ultimate Mid-Rider
Polk Audio DB521 speakers
K&N Air Filter
Rear Speakers
Mirror Risers
iPod Adapter
Combat72 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Finally pulled the trigger on the amp/speaker upgrade! Romans5.8 Vulcan 1700 19 08-29-2017 02:27 PM
Need to know what speaker mount will work for my Sony SRSX5 bluetooth speaker. Vinson.Saldivar General Vulcan Talk 0 07-29-2017 04:07 AM
Vaquero/Voyager Stereo Amp and Speaker Upgrade and Impressions of the Results Fried Chicken Blowout Vulcan 1700 26 06-05-2015 03:50 PM
speaker upgrade flatop Vulcan 1700 6 11-15-2012 02:31 PM
Vulcan 900 Owner - Need Advice on Upgrade traderfjp General Vulcan Talk 18 11-24-2011 05:28 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome