First Longish Trip on 2012 VV - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

First Longish Trip on 2012 VV

I just got back from a trip between Grandview and Lubbock Texas. Only about 1100 miles total. Spent a day and half or so riding up to Palo Dura Canyon and thereabouts. I was riding with my buddy from Lubbock, he has a 2013 HD Heritage Softtail. Here are the thinks I noted and need answers to.

1) My ride was very smooth and quiet compared to the Harley.
2) On the ride out there I did notice the heat problem everyone is talking about. Outside temp was mid to upper 90's. I'm about to have my first oil change and I believe someone suggested at that time have the radiator drained and something else put in. What is the something else? Also it was recommended to have them put in synthetic oil. I'm assuming all this can be done at the dealer where I purchased it? I don't have the tools, talent or time to do it myself.
3) The Harley accelerates quite a bit faster than the VV. This isn't a huge issue but it would be nice to have a bit more pickup. Any thoughts?
4) I listened to the radio (only have the stock front speakers) and now they tend to rattle when a female is speaking. Should I replace them or is there something else you would suggest? I'm thinking of putting in some rear speakers as well. I had the volume between 13-18.
5) Gas mileage was poor on the way up. From Grandview to Eastland I got the usual 36-38 MPG. Between Eastland and Sweetwater only got about 25-26. The rest of the way around 30. On the way back things picked up back to the mid 30's. I rode 80 MPH both ways. Wind obviously hurt me at times. I weigh 258 pounds. None of that is terrible but didn't know if the dramatic drop should be of concern. There are now just over 4000 miles on the bike.
6) Do I need to be worried about the faying electrical line I've read about or was this fixed on the 2012?
7) Any suggestions for a cup holder? I've got the stock bars.

Guess that's it for now.

I've got a ride scheduled in October in parts of Arkansas (near Ponca?). Buddy there has a Goldwing.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 07:55 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Well there a lot of different products available to you that we all use on this forum.
So I will recommend what I use.
To answer number two: I have heard that some dealers will use synthetic oil upon request otherwise others will insist on using their Kawasaki brand of oil. Amsoil/Mobil one and royal purple are the top three brands that I know of. When it comes to reducing engine heat onto your body there are a couple of things you can do. Yes changing the radiator fluid to a product called Engine Ice is the easiest compared to a antifreeze/water ratio with an additive that I use. The problem you will probably have is there a dealer won't do that because of warranty issues. The second thing you can do is to wrap your pipes with a role of 2 inch exhaust wrapping material. I now sometimes ride around with shorts with no issues of heat anymore.

To answer number three you will need the big three as we call it. This is not in any particular order but the three items are;(BAK) Big Air Kit / a Power Commander Five fuel processor and a good brand of exhaust slip ons, such as COBRA/Vance and Heinz or D & Ds.

For number four I would suggest taking out the speakers and the cone assembly behind them and checking for loose bolts. I'm sure that the speakers are good, there has been issues with loose parts under the fairing.

For number six, there was one member that had wiring from the ignition that was chafing on the gas tank. I believe that was an isolated case.

For number seven, there are several brands of cupholders. Mine is a Kruzzer Kaddie, which I purchased from a Harley-Davidson dealer. lol
here is a picture

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Vulcan Voyager ABS/ my "Blue Goose"
BIG 3 = PCV w/ Ign/Cobra Slip-ons/Thunder Air Kit
Kuryakyn "Longhorn Offset Highway Pegs"
Air Hawk2 seat cusion/Remote Control for house
National Cycle Fender Tips//Utopia Back Rest
Gorilla Alarm/Strebel Air Horn/14 in. Dark Shield
Kaw Rear Speakers/Galfer Break Pads
Garmin GPS, RAM mounted on break reservoir
Chrome Mug Holder/Extra Chrome/Wrapped Pipes
Flags and Mounts from "Rumbling Pride"
Dunlop SP5000 Car Tire /AMSOIL & Filter

Last edited by davidsheek; 06-07-2013 at 10:23 AM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 09:45 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Kawasaki Classic
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Black
Garage
They may have very well fixed the wire issue. However since it is easy to check and it can shut you completly down would give it a look.

Stitch

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 08:40 AM

Davidsheek covered all the areas pretty well just wanted to throw out another cup holder option. I got it from Amazon and works great. Here is a link

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 02:55 AM

Garage
Hi guys, for the cup holder I went with Kuryakyn Passenger Drink Holders with Basket (ea) - Universal from cruisecustomizing get the 1 1/4 inch for the bars . I went with cobra tri ovals (sounds awesome) and use aims oil it takes the sewing machine sounds out and smoother engine , and I use 89 octane the engine runs better and less back fire and greater mpg . I live in the hills of Massachusetts and I get around 41 mpg average. on the highway I get around 48 -51 mpg .. I hope this helps you. and don't forget a mustang seat and highway pegs for a comfy ride..
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, all good advice and information. I've already put the highway pegs on and a backrest. As I add the other items I'll let you know how it is working.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode