Rear tire on front - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Rear tire on front

Over on the 2000 forum they have a thread going about this. When I ordered my tires I did not realize that I ordered two rear tires. So I have a rear tire on the front of my Nomad. A shop owner told me that it may be a problem with dipensing water and maybe I should turn it around to spin against the arrow. So my question is can I just turn the wheel around to spin in the oppositie direction or do I have to remount the tire? If I decide to do it I will change the brake pads also so should not be an issue there.

2009 Nomad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 07:54 PM
BOTM Winner, April 2013

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcsteve View Post
Over on the 2000 forum they have a thread going about this. When I ordered my tires I did not realize that I ordered two rear tires. So I have a rear tire on the front of my Nomad. A shop owner told me that it may be a problem with dipensing water and maybe I should turn it around to spin against the arrow. So my question is can I just turn the wheel around to spin in the oppositie direction or do I have to remount the tire? If I decide to do it I will change the brake pads also so should not be an issue there.
Steve, a lot of guys on the darkside forum do this. Yes, the rear tire on front rim is supposed to be mounted in reverse direction. I don't belive you can just turn the wheel around and install it, because (I think) the wheel itself is directional. If so, you'll need to take the tire off and remount it in reverse direction. I just did this for a friend's Mean Streak.

AKA The Green Hornet
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 07:22 AM Thread Starter

I am going to keep it with the direction going with the arrow for now. Seems to run fine. Inwish I had looked at this when I ordered them because they make a front tire in our size. Oh well, live and learn. I try not to ride too much in rain and knowing I have the rear tire up front I will just take it that much slower and safer. Thanks.

2009 Nomad

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 03:01 PM

Steve, I intentionally ordered a "rear" Commander II for the front when I installed it last summer. The rear costs a few dollars more, but it typically has at least 50% deeper tread that a front tire. The only difference I am aware of is the slightly different tread pattern that does not interlock like of front tire so it's supposed to not shed water as well.

I don't know about anybody else, but I slow down quite a bit when I get caught in the rain. And to me 50% more tread was worth slowing down a little more the few times I get it wet. By the way, on my way back from Texas last summer, I did one entire day, more than 400 miles, on the Natchez Trace Parkway in the rain the whole day. No handling problems, but I started growing some webs between my toes....

I now have 12,000 miles on that "rear" front tire, and I believe I have at least 50% tread life remaining. I have 14,000 on the rear C-II, and it looks like I probably have another 6-7000 miles available on it.

By the way, my dealer recommended and installed the rear on the front, so I have no idea which way the arrow is pointed. :>)

AtlAggie

2010 Vulcan Voyager 1700
2009 Vulcan 900 Classic LT (Traded after 18,500 Miles)
SCRC # 009067, VROC # 32735
Road Captain & 1st Officer, SCRC Chapter 09 - North Georgia

Last edited by AtlAggie; 06-06-2013 at 03:03 PM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. I will keep rolling in the direction of the arrow. I am glad to here others doing the same.

2009 Nomad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode