Kaw Intercom System - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Kaw Intercom System

Can anybody summarize for me the various parts I would have to add to the standard VV audio to get rider and passenger intercom working? Kawasaki seems to want to list everything separately on the web site. It looks to me to be 5 different parts totalling about $500, is that correct?

We tried the Scala Rider set, but found the Voice Activation is too sensitive to wind noise, and it is really a pain having to turn it off every time you turn the headset on. I would also rather have the PTT switch on the bars rather than having to touch the headset.

AtlAggie

2010 Vulcan Voyager 1700
2009 Vulcan 900 Classic LT (Traded after 18,500 Miles)
SCRC # 009067, VROC # 32735
Road Captain & 1st Officer, SCRC Chapter 09 - North Georgia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 11:42 AM
Lifetime Premium

There was a thread about this recently. I couldn't find it offhand. I think the posters opinion was basically you could pay a pile of money and get a serviceable *wired* intercom system, or just pay some money and get a third party system of your choice.

The thread had to be within the last seven days. Damned if I can find it.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 11:49 AM
Top Contributor

I have the scala rider set up. It works great for us. What kind of helmet are you using with it. We have them on our full face helmets and the VOX works OK. If anything you have to talk LOUD or blow in the mic hard to get it to kick on. It may be different if you are using open helmets. IDK. There is also the option to turn the VOX on or off with them too. It took me a while to figure it out and did not like them at first either, but it seems to adapt with the sensitive to the wind noise over time. I don't know if that is in my head or if it really is.

1985 Honda Nighthawk 650 (First Bike)
2004 Vulcan 1500 Classic (First Big Bike)
2007 Vulcan 1600 Meanstreak (Love Affair)
1999 Yamaha 1100 V-Star Custom (Right Price at the Time)
2008 V2K Classic (Favorite Vulcan)
2014 HD Ultra Limited (Bells and Whistles)
Who would have thought I would grow up to become "Spatially Educated" and play Connect-the-Dots for a living.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 11:51 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlAggie View Post
Can anybody summarize for me the various parts I would have to add to the standard VV audio to get rider and passenger intercom working? Kawasaki seems to want to list everything separately on the web site. It looks to me to be 5 different parts totalling about $500, is that correct?

We tried the Scala Rider set, but found the Voice Activation is too sensitive to wind noise, and it is really a pain having to turn it off every time you turn the headset on. I would also rather have the PTT switch on the bars rather than having to touch the headset.
The Kawaski intercom is VOX too not PTT. But is is very adjustable and works well.

Pastor Ron
"A man's true character is determined by what he does when no one is looking."
Pastor "That Biker Church"
President North Arkansas HonorBound Motorcycle Ministries
President/Founder "Wounded Spirit Ministries Inc."
Patriot Guard Rider

USAF 1971-19752010 Voyager 1700 ABS
Kawasaki CB Radio, J&B Elite headset, Ray's Throttle Mod, Road Commander II, Sagebrush Whale Tail Tank Bib, Firestik NGP CB antenna, Firestick AM/FM antenna eliminator, Amsoil engine oil and coolant
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 12:50 PM

sena

Can't speak to the on board audio and I know that is what you are curious about but....... I have the sena SMH10 system that I use with to chat with a guy in the club. This thing works great I typically wear it on my 3/4 with flip down shield and he uses it with a modular. We never had an issue with wind except at 60+mph or when there was a wicked cross wind. even then it was just a matter of me flipping down my shield and him closing his helemet for the chat. These are hot mikes no PTT and if it is VOX then it works incredibly well. They are blue tooth as well so you can hook GPS or your phone into it. I have used my phone multiple times with this setup and the guy on the other end never knew I was doing 65 down the highway. This works well enough that I wore my helmet for a conferance call while sitting in my living room during Superstorm Sandy. reason why is my phone speaker is not as clear. These are just my opinion on the system.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 01:26 PM
Lifetime Premium

One other thing I would like to mention is that the MaKaw branded headset for helmet is very poor. Mine was never very loud and started having issues with intermittent cutout due to a break in the wiring at the helmet connection about 5 days after the warranty expired. I now have a J&P headset and it is awesome.

Pastor Ron
"A man's true character is determined by what he does when no one is looking."
Pastor "That Biker Church"
President North Arkansas HonorBound Motorcycle Ministries
President/Founder "Wounded Spirit Ministries Inc."
Patriot Guard Rider

USAF 1971-19752010 Voyager 1700 ABS
Kawasaki CB Radio, J&B Elite headset, Ray's Throttle Mod, Road Commander II, Sagebrush Whale Tail Tank Bib, Firestik NGP CB antenna, Firestick AM/FM antenna eliminator, Amsoil engine oil and coolant
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 11:27 AM
Lifetime Premium

I have the OEM intercom system installed when the bike was brand new back in '11...no problems with it at all, VOX works great, and you can shut off the VOX and use the PTT if you wish. I also have the iPod connection, so it's nice to have the setup all wired in the fairing and not hooked up to an iPod in my pocket.

In terms of parts, I believe that there are two parts for the rider's helmet, two parts for the passenger's helmet, and the two plugs (one with a mounting bracket) that attach under the seat. The location of the plugs would be my only beef...kind of an odd spot down by my butt, but it works and I'm satisfied...I find no reason at this point to move the location.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Telly
2011 Voyager 1700 ABS
Patriot Guard Rider
iPod Adapter
OEM Comms
Kury ISO Grips
Kewl Metal Helmet Locks
Racn' Ray's Throttle Mod
Kury Longhorn Offset Dually Highway Pegs
Cobra Luggage Rack
Cobra Saddlebag Lid Guards
Stebel Compact Nautilus Horn
Clearview Tinted 17" Shield
Sagebrush Designs Tank Bib
Marvellas Passenger Pegs
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlAggie View Post
That is about right on the cost. I went through all this about a year and a half ago, Kawi doesn't make it real easy to figure out.

I believe this is what you need with part #'s.

K10400-036 is the bike mounted bracket and receptacle for the rider (you)

K10400-032 are the speakers for your helmet

K10400-034 cord for plugging in your speakers into the motorcycle mounted plug. (no mic on this one, only for listening.)

K10400-027 cord for plugging in your speakers into the motorcycle mounted plug, does include mic for talking to passenger

K10400-028 coiled cord, speakers, and mic for passenger use, with PTT button and volume adjustment

K10400-035 passenger headset adapter, mounts to bracket for passenger to plug into motorcycle. (The K10400-036 only has the rider adapter)

These unit do work great in my opinion. The passenger can adjust their volume separately from the rider and it can be setup for PTT or Vox use with sensitivity adjustments.
Do a google search, prices do vary sometimes greatly from sellers.

Enjoy.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2011 Voyager
K&N air filter, Cobra PowerPro Tuner, drilled stock exhaust
RACNRAY throttle mod, full Ipod/comm setup
Kuryakyn Longhorn Offset Highway Pegs
Mustang seat
29,000 miles and climbing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page