Bike "skips" or "lurches" accelerating through 2nd - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Bike "skips" or "lurches" accelerating through 2nd

2009 1700 Classic

I have noticed consistently that when accelerating there is a lurch or a skip....seems to happen as the revs go up whether slowly or quickly but after 2nd gear doesn't happen.

I've asked the guys at the shop but they says nothing seems to be obviously wrong.

Very annoying but I can't figure out what this is. Has anyone else experienced it?

Sean, Kelowna BC

2009 VN1700 Classic
VROC# 31649
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 06:50 PM

Garage
Sounds like you should look into Rays Throttle Mod here on the site. Does wonders for that kinda thing

2012 Vulcan Voyager 1700 ABS - Metallic Graystone / Metallic Spark Black
Kawasaki Rear Speakers, ipod adapter and bag liners
Commander II Front and Rear Tires
Power Commander V w/Ign
K&N Replacent Filter
Cobra Scalloped Tip Slip-ons
Kuryakyn "Longhorn Offset Highway Pegs"
Kuryakyn ISO Grips w/RACNRAYs Throttle Mod
Kuryakyn 1/2 rail mount flag
Chrome Pasenger Board Bottoms
Chrome Rear Brake Reservoir Cover
Yamaha Trunk Rack
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 08:43 AM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by radicalroad View Post
2009 1700 Classic

I have noticed consistently that when accelerating there is a lurch or a skip....seems to happen as the revs go up whether slowly or quickly but after 2nd gear doesn't happen.

I've asked the guys at the shop but they says nothing seems to be obviously wrong.

Very annoying but I can't figure out what this is. Has anyone else experienced it?
I was having the same issues. Adjusted the throttle cables and now it is minimal but still happens occasionally. I'm told Rays Throtle Mod is the answer.

2013 Honda CB1100
2008 Yamaha yz250f

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 09:01 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
2009 1700 Classic

OK...lotsa questions but I'll ask a few here.

#1...is the problem noticeable in first AND second gear, or just second gear?

#2...is there any indication of a backfire or any type of popping, either from the intake or exhaust when the lurch happens?

#3...how often does this happen? Every time you are in the(those) gear(s)? And it only happens during acceleration?

#4...you say you have asked peeps at the shop. Has anyone there ridden the bike to experience the problem?

You are welcome to call me at my shop to answere the questions as I can ask more if need be.

RACNRAY

954-455-9665 Florida time

"TRUE HAPPINESS IS IN THE HEART,NOT IN THE OUTSIDE FIXES!!"
WITH OVER 42 YEARS AS A MOTORCYCLE TECHNICIAN/HI-PO SHOP OWNER I AM A PURVEYOR OF FACT NOT FICTION!
"WE LIVE OUR LIVES IN CHAINS NEVER KNOWING WE HAD THE KEY"
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Bike "skips" or "lurches" accelerating through 2nd

#1. Yes both gears but not in the higher gears; also notice it happens accelerating slowly or quickly

#2. No backfire or popping

#3. if I was in 2nd gear and just "cruising at around 50 kmph (30 mph) it would do it; it's like a hesitation....hard to describe

#4. no I have asked them to a cpouple times but they haven't

Thanks for the offer but I only have a work cell and no home phone so long distance to FLA may raise some eyebrows.

The only other info I can add regarding the bike is that I de-baffled however I had noticed this happening prior to doing that.

I will take a look at the posting regarding the Throttle Mod that a few have replied with.

Many thanks!!

Sean

RACNRAY

954-455-9665 Florida time[/QUOTE]

Sean, Kelowna BC

2009 VN1700 Classic
VROC# 31649
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 04:19 AM

I had this and solved it!

Quote:
2009 1700 Classic

I had adjusted my throttle cables as described by Ray in numerous other posts, and never had any of the issues as you described. A while ago when I was bored I got to fiddling with things and readjusted the cables making them even tighter. (I know never know when to leave well enough alone)

A short time later I started developing the same type of lurching or skipping or hesitation you describe.

I was starting to think the worst and how many dollars it was going to cost when
I remembered my latest foray into the world of do it your self mechanics.

So I got Rays instructions out again readjusted the cables and low and behold the problem vanished. Three weeks now and it hasn't come back. I obviously tightened the cables so much they were binding then releasing somehow.

Even if you haven't adjusted your cables maybe it's worth following Rays method
and see what happens. Nothing to loose but a bit of time.

2009 Voyager, "Battle Star"
SageBrush Bib,
LED's around Headlight,
Chrome cup holders,
Marvellas passenger and rider highway pegs,
Grasshoper backrest,
Kawasaki Gel seats,
Grey Sheepskin Seat covers,
Kawasaki Rear Speakers,
Ipod Kit,
H.D. trunk rack,
Chrome passenger board covers,
Chrome Engine plate,
Door Controller,
Fog Lights wired to High Beam on/off.
Speedo Healer, Backoff Brake Module
KAM's heat kit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BLue Knights BKAUS11 and
BlueLiners Australia

Ride with Pride
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 07:26 PM

here is an easy possibility. This could be caused by dirty throttle body. Take some cleaner (sea foam) on a rag, remove the right side dog bowl, and wipe out the throttle bodies and the butterfly valves. That may help.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 11:27 AM

I find myself thinking a lot about how I wish my 2011 Voyager had the old style throttle and not the new fly by wire setup. I know it's the thing of the future for all bikes, my new SUV even has it and so does our bus but they both work flawlessly. On the bike it's really hard to feather the throttle while going slow, God forbid hitting a bump at slow speeds, you either get your head ripped off or the throttle goes off throwing you forward. I have Ray's modification but maybe I need to go out and re-adjust the cables.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 10:06 PM

Well I do not have Rays throttle mod but another members throttle mod and I found it made the throttle more touchy as it brings the throttle on quicker.But having said that ,I would check your throttle position sensor wiring and also fuel injector wiring.Any loose connections,frayed wiring or bad connections can cause poor signal strength to the fuel injectors and it will feel like a momentary fuel shut off for a split second.Not sure if that what it feels like to you but many fuel injected bikes suffer from this issue once on awhile.Is there a power commander on your bike.If there is you may have bad connections or ground,all posiabilities.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 02:24 AM

Garage
I noticed on rides my bike dosnt like going slow..so alot of times i just keep it up another gear. i need to do rays throttle mode , i hope its easy to install.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode