Exhaust backfire style loud pop and Idle adjustment. - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Exhaust backfire style loud pop and Idle adjustment.

I have been fighting this loud bang pop,like a backfire at the 2100 rpm area, like lots of cobra pipe purchasers here.Adding fuel in the 0 coloumn on my PCV ,new exhaust gaskets,acorn nut washers,testing for intake leaks,all the recommended areas of concern with limited or no success.
Then I read a coloumn in the VTX forum about checking for a fully closed Throttle plates at O throttle position as being an issue with cable controlled throttle bodies causing the same backfire bang issue.Then I was thinking about our idle adjustment and what happens when we move it up and down.We cause the electric servo to get a different voltage signal to either open or close the throttle plate to adjust idle to what we want.Lots of us want a lower idle to hear a lower rumble tone to our exhaust sound.
Reading ,that a lot of exhaust popping is caused by excessive fuel not completing a burn in the combustion chamber ,because of lack of air,then exiting into hot exhaust pipes and exploding due to air avaliability and heat,I made an adjustment.
So since I had my idle set to its lowest adjustment,I decided for an experiment to crank it back up to +100 rpm ,to open the throttle plates for more air intake at idle ,and off I went ,after playing all day with fuel maps.To my amazement no more loud exploding bangs at 2100 rpm whan I released the throttle either during cruise or down shifting blips.Just a bit of really mild popping once in awhile under 1500 rpm.
I could not believe my ears after weeks of frustration most of my issue was caused by my idle adjustment.I have "0'd out my 0 coloumn in my PCV now so I have no more fuel smell everytime I come to a stop and have readjusted my idle to the "0" neutral postion and all is great with my Cobra Scallop tip pipes now.Well for now.Obviously will have to ride for a month or so and see how it goes ,but it looks like an option some of you may want to try and see if it cures your popping or loud bang in the exhaust issues.Just that little extra air at idle position seems to of helped a lot.

Last edited by ta-kid; 05-25-2013 at 10:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 09:13 AM
Top Contributor

I just finished installing a set of D&D slip on exhaust at 1:30 this morning. I didn't take it out do to the fact that the neighbors would be pissed at me for waking them up, but they sounded awesome and so much loader in the garage. lol! I had my idle set at +50 and dropped it to 0 and to me it was a perfect pitch. I'm hoping to get out for a little ride before it starts raining and see how much popping I'm getting. I'm hoping to get by with the map that's in there now for 3 weeks, than I'm having it dynod at a bike event that comes around every year. They dyno bikes 9 months out of the year and they're good,fast and they charge $240 which is cheap.

2012 GREEN/BLACK VAQUERO

Kawi Quick release backrest
Kawi Passanger floorboards
Kawi Luggage rack
Klockwerks 9" windshield
Mustang Seat
Mustang pass backrest pad
Ipod adapter kit/Ipod
Black ISO Grip
Offset ISO highway pegs
PC5 W/ignition
Freedom Performance True Dual Exhaust
Altrimax HP 195/55/16 car tire.
Leather saddlebag chaps
Thunder mfg Tornado air intake
Thunder mfg Throttle Body Gasket
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Hope they work out for you.I have heard thr D&D pipes can be on the loud side.I just threw out the above post on the idle adjustment and its effect on popping exhaust systems as there a few Vulcan owners out there as frustrated as I was with the exhaust issues and may of never thought of the effect our idle adjustments will effect the issue.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 11:26 AM
Top Contributor

Well I took her out for a run in town and a back road and tried getting it to pop/backfire and couldn't, I even turned up the idle +50 and +100 and still nothing. I'm gonna still get it dynod and set up for the best fuel millage I can get. As far as loudness, I love loud! They sound really nice and I can still hear my music over them, plus with the map I'm running now and the pipes I noticed that the temp never went over the quarter mark. I'm really happy with them and I got em for $250 so I'm even happier.

2012 GREEN/BLACK VAQUERO

Kawi Quick release backrest
Kawi Passanger floorboards
Kawi Luggage rack
Klockwerks 9" windshield
Mustang Seat
Mustang pass backrest pad
Ipod adapter kit/Ipod
Black ISO Grip
Offset ISO highway pegs
PC5 W/ignition
Freedom Performance True Dual Exhaust
Altrimax HP 195/55/16 car tire.
Leather saddlebag chaps
Thunder mfg Tornado air intake
Thunder mfg Throttle Body Gasket

Last edited by diehard rider; 05-26-2013 at 11:29 AM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

You proably will not get any loud popping at +100 but try -100and see what happens.If you have none at that setting then you are one of the lucky ones.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 08:54 PM

I will be trying this in the morning. I've have bad decel popping from 2,100 RPM's down. I've tried many different maps adjustments with no luck. I did lower my idle by 50 will see what happens when I bump it back up. Thanks for info.

Frank

2010 Voyager/ Metallic Diablo Black/Metallic Imperial Red
1972 Norton Commando - Yellow

PCV(Fuel & Ignition) With Autotune
Gear Advance Fuel & Ignition Mapping
Cobra 4' Scalloped Tip Slip-Ons
Wrapped Exhaust Manifold
Kuryakyn ISO Grips with RacnRay Mod
Kuryakyn Bar End weights
Ultimate Mid-Rider
Polk Audio DB521 speakers
K&N Air Filter
Rear Speakers
Mirror Risers
iPod Adapter
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 08:40 PM

ta-kid,
I tried your recommendation today on a 195 mile ride. I had previously adjusted my idle by -50. I returned it back to 0. I too tried everything you had tried with little or no luck. After the adjustment the decel popping was almost completely eliminated. I did have an occasional pop around 2,100 RPM's but I had added +8 from 2,000 RPM's up in the zero percent throttle column. When I returned home I completely zeroed out the 0 percent throttle column. I will take a test ride tomorrow evening and see if that makes any difference. I had also reset my throttle position in the PCV software. It never would stay at 0% throttle at idle, would always go to 1%. After adjusting the idle back to 0 I checked it again and it was at 0%. I'm hoping your suggestion takes care of the decel pop. Thanks for posting.

Frank

Wrapped Exhaust Manifold
Kuryakyn Bar End weights
Ultimate Mid-Rider
K&N Air Filter
Rear Speakers
Mirror Risers
iPod Adapter
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

No problem.Yes you want to make sure throttle position is at 0 with a PCV.Hope all works out better for you.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

After a couple test cruises no loud bangs anymore but i get the odd pop at 2100 rpm stil and especially around 1750 rpm in town,So I have added 4 points to the "0" throttle position fuel coloumn between 1500 rpm and 2500 rpm and see waht effect it has.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 10:45 PM

Ta-kid,
I zeroed out the 0% column and have ridden around 370 miles and the loud pops seem to be gone. Get a good rumble on decel. Will give it some more miles and see what happens. Thanks for the suggestion.
Frank

Wrapped Exhaust Manifold
Kuryakyn Bar End weights
Ultimate Mid-Rider
K&N Air Filter