Pure Frustration - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Pure Frustration

A few weeks ago I noticed the Dunlops were about worn out so I ordered some Commander II's. The front shows up two day's latter but no rear. After a week I called in to check still no rear the parts manager, who has been very helpful since I purchased the Nomad used, said he would check into it. He called me back that afternoon to say the place he ordered from was out of stock on the rear tire and there were none available in the south east but he had found one in Texas and was having it shipped. Expecting another several day's delay I was very surprised when the next afternoon I got the call the tire was in. They had over nighted it at there own expense because I had been waiting so long.

All of this sounds reasonable up to this point so why the frustration? Well here it comes.

The rear tire came in on Friday so Saturday I take the bike in, talk to the service tech's gave them what history I know about the bike tell them to look for any problems while doing the work and that according to Kawa. web the ECU recall had never been done on it. They tell me it will be checked and there are several others in front of me so it will be Wednesday before I get it back. Sounded like a long time for two tires to be put on but because I have already done Ray's throttle mod and the Thunder intake gasket and am still having stumbling issues I wanted to get the ECU done before I chase that problem any further. That afternoon they leave a message saying the ECU has not been done and that they will order one. Fast forward to Wednesday no call so Thursday morning I call get no answers but they will call me back and give me the status. That afternoon they call back and say the ECU was ordered out of California and will take five business day's to arrive. My response to this was ok I will come by and pick the bike up and when the ECU comes in call me and it can be changed then. But sir we haven't done anything to it yet. So you have had it for five business day's and the tires are not even on it yet? No sir we will do all the work on it at the same time. Ok I will come and get it and you can call me when the ECU comes in. Sir we can't release the bike to you because this is a safety recall. At this point arguing with this service righter over the phone was going to get me no where and still being at work and miles away was probably a good thing. Today I stopped in and told the parts manager his goodwill gesture of over nighting the rear tire was for nothing and explained what was going on and he told me he placed the order for the ECU Wednesday, three day's after service new they needed it. I didn't even go to the service department because if I had at that time I would have done or said something I would not be proud of latter.

Last edited by TS Tinker; 05-25-2013 at 12:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 08:23 AM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Kawasaki Vaquero
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Red
Not making excuses for them, but after running a computer repair shop for a couple of decades, I can tell you that all jobs simply become just that-a job in the line. For you, it is your personal baby, your transport, hell, maybe your reason for getting up in the morning. I'm in Tennessee, and avoid ordering parts from CA like the plague for that very reason-five days! If there is no choice, I will try to contact the customer and offer for them to pick up the extra cost for faster shipping. Either way, they then know what is going on.
The other bite on service work for a busy shop-how much slower will the work get done if they are stopping to call the customers and tell them the status changes on every job? It really is a "no-win" for the shop. It always comes down to finding a shop that you trust. If you trust them to do a quality job on your bike as quickly as they reasonably can, then let it slide. If you do not, after this job is done, look for another shop. Regardless, it will all feel much better once you're back on the road!

Jerry "Old Bear" Barker
Clarksville, TN
Americas Guardians PS MC
Tennessee 16-A Chapter
"Blaze" 2017 Vaquero
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 08:32 AM
Lifetime Premium

SORRY TO HEAR....far too often dealership service (circus?) departments are geared to make money at the expense of customer service. To make life easier on them it copromises your experience in gettin your skoot serviced.

RACNRAY

"TRUE HAPPINESS IS IN THE HEART,NOT IN THE OUTSIDE FIXES!!"
WITH OVER 42 YEARS AS A MOTORCYCLE TECHNICIAN/HI-PO SHOP OWNER I AM A PURVEYOR OF FACT NOT FICTION!
"WE LIVE OUR LIVES IN CHAINS NEVER KNOWING WE HAD THE KEY"

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 08:40 AM

I think we've all run into this. Almost every time I have my bike in the shop it takes a lot longer than they estimate.
I recently took my mower in because it wouldn't start. The estimate was 3 days. It took 3 weeks! I was pretty frustrated. However, they gave me a bag for my mower for free. I felt better after that! I have figured out that if the job is done correctly I'm o.k. with a delay.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2012 Nomad 1700
Cobra Luggage Rack
Airlite Crash Bar Chaps
Kuryakyn Offset Highway Pegs
Vulcan Emblem on Passenger Back Rest
Fire and Steel Light Bar
Signal Dynamics Headlight Modulator
Wolo Bad Boy Horn
Kuryakyn Power Point
Back Off XP Brake Light Modulator

08 900 Custom - Traded in!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Having to order parts I get and understand. Knowing it on Saturday and ordering it on Wednesday not so much. And the worst part is they haven't touched the tires which is a completely different work action and if they find a worn part doing that after all this time I will be waiting longer because they haven't had anything in stock for this bike yet.

Jerry I was in the maintenance department for my company for over twenty five years and I get the just another job in the line thing but if I ran across a problem that another department would have to handle I made sure that department had the info then not three day's later.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 10:17 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
The shop here in Dalton for some reason only places orders on wednesdays and saturdays. Maybe its a Kawasaki thing that they only accept orders on these days? You say you purchased the bike used, was it from them, another dealer, or a private owner? If from a dealer, the ECU should have already been done if it a safety issue to the extent that they cant releace it to you. As far as delays getting started on it I can see them not wanting to start on it repeatedly, but also, if they do find something else wrong they will anyway. This is also the peak work load for most shops because people are getting their bikes serviced now for the summer months. This doesnt make the frustration any easier for the customer.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 03:58 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Another reason I am glad I service my own bikes.

I've had to deal with the stealer for some recalls and they tried the "we have to have the bike here to order the parts" and I said "No, I ride the bike to work" "This is not a toy to me, when the part comes in, call me and I will bring the bike in". Then, when I inspect their work, I find a cross threaded fastener that they couldn't even drive in all the way with their power driver. This has happened on more than one occasion.

2010 Vulcan Voyager 1700 ABS, 2007 Vulcan Mean Streak 1600
2012 Concours 1400, 2011 Versys 650, 2012 KLX250S

see my garage for list of accessories
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Rick, I bought the bike last October from an individual but he had only had it for one summer. I do not think it has seen a dealership since it rolled out of the first one.

Two, I am with you on doing my own service, I have already corrected several things on this scoot that just made me scratch my head like cross threaded air box screws miss matched bolts in the saddle bag hinges etc.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 06:56 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Kawasaki Vaquero
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS Tinker View Post
Jerry I was in the maintenance department for my company for over twenty five years and I get the just another job in the line thing but if I ran across a problem that another department would have to handle I made sure that department had the info then not three day's later.
Yup, I totally agree with you, I do as well. I always try however to take a look at it from the other side. While I don't always agree with whatever, perhaps I can at least understand why or how. And in some cases, it really does boils down to crappy service, and then you find a new shop!

Jerry "Old Bear" Barker
Clarksville, TN
Americas Guardians PS MC
Tennessee 16-A Chapter
"Blaze" 2017 Vaquero
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 07:04 PM
Top Contributor

Believe me I'm not defending the dealer but keep in mind that this is their busiest time of the year and they're probably under staffed like everyone else nowadays and getting a straight answer out of them is maybe a stretch. I feel your pain though...

2013 Honda CB1100
2008 Yamaha yz250f
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode