Backrest question - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2013, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Backrest question

I do a lot of 2up riding and unlike the 900 Classic LT I had the wife doesn't have the back support she once had because it sets lower. There was a post of someone that made an extension for their backrest and I can't find it. I'm sure there's others that have extended their back rest that could maybe give me an idea or direction on what they did. Any pics would be great! Kawi should make an extension. another reason to dip into our pockets.
Thanks, Rod

2012 GREEN/BLACK VAQUERO

Kawi Quick release backrest
Kawi Passanger floorboards
Kawi Luggage rack
Klockwerks 9" windshield
Mustang Seat
Mustang pass backrest pad
Ipod adapter kit/Ipod
Black ISO Grip
Offset ISO highway pegs
PC5 W/ignition
Freedom Performance True Dual Exhaust
Altrimax HP 195/55/16 car tire.
Leather saddlebag chaps
Thunder mfg Tornado air intake
Thunder mfg Throttle Body Gasket
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 01:54 PM
Top Contributor

From what I have seen on the forums people have either had steel added or another one made. Some guy on baggers I think had a new one made and transferred the pad to it. Then he had it powder coated. You can also get it chrome plated if you wish. I will have this done in the future. It is low enough with the stock seat, once you put on a after market seat I'm sure it gets alot worse. What was kawai thinking.

2012 Vaquero Candy Lime Green/Black
1700 Nomad (Deceased)
Cobra Tri-Oval Exhaust
Racnrays Invention (Throttle Mod)
Ivan's Flash
Thunder Tornado Air Kit
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by captj3 View Post
From what I have seen on the forums people have either had steel added or another one made. Some guy on baggers I think had a new one made and transferred the pad to it. Then he had it powder coated. You can also get it chrome plated if you wish. I will have this done in the future. It is low enough with the stock seat, once you put on a after market seat I'm sure it gets alot worse. What was kawai thinking.
Yeah the wife has never been on the stock seat and with the Mustang Seat that backrest pad sets right on top of it, I have to remove the backrest to remove the seat. I'm thinking of taking the backrest to a shop and see if they can make me an extension for it, but first I have to find a shop that can and will make it. I'm only wanting to bring it up about 4".

2012 GREEN/BLACK VAQUERO

Kawi Luggage rack
Klockwerks 9" windshield
Mustang Seat
Ipod adapter kit/Ipod
Black ISO Grip
Offset ISO highway pegs
PC5 W/ignition
Leather saddlebag chaps

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 10:00 PM

I took the metel backrest piece to a welder friend of mine and he weled 4in to each side of the back rest. And used the peice he cut off to redrill the holes I took it to a power coater and had him coat it gloss black. It now hits my wife in the sholder blades and is very happy. Chrome plating is so costly to do and finding someone to do it is a chore in its self. I have some pictures on my album page I think it looks good and is holding up very well. Their was a person who just took the padding off the backrest and drilled holes lower in the board and rethreaded the screws and made te pad higher I dont know how its holding up.

Only a motorcycle rider knows why a dog sticks he head out the car window. Enjoy life.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL Vaquero View Post
I took the metel backrest piece to a welder friend of mine and he weled 4in to each side of the back rest. And used the peice he cut off to redrill the holes I took it to a power coater and had him coat it gloss black. It now hits my wife in the sholder blades and is very happy. Chrome plating is so costly to do and finding someone to do it is a chore in its self. I have some pictures on my album page I think it looks good and is holding up very well. Their was a person who just took the padding off the backrest and drilled holes lower in the board and rethreaded the screws and made te pad higher I dont know how its holding up.
At first I was thinking of moving the pad up but I was only gaining about a inch, any more and I was afraid I wouldn't have enough support for the pad from the backrest. Looking at yours, I don't think my would look as high because I have the Mustang seat and the passenger seat looks a little thicker. I think if I did something like you did I would probably powder coat the hole thing including the luggage rack. My mom and dad lives by Vincennes IN, Maybe I'll have to swing through Beecher City and take a closer look at it.

2012 GREEN/BLACK VAQUERO

Kawi Luggage rack
Klockwerks 9" windshield
Mustang Seat
Ipod adapter kit/Ipod
Black ISO Grip
Offset ISO highway pegs
PC5 W/ignition
Leather saddlebag chaps
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 09:00 PM

Back Rest

I have the mustang seat also and had the guy add a support bar to it so it would not bend. I had and still think about power coating the rack and quick release brackets and leave the part attached to the bike chrome. If you want to come through just give me a call, Brian Cope. 618-335-0445. Its holding up very well the rollers on the bike attachements I think would ware off the coating. Thanks.

Only a motorcycle rider knows why a dog sticks he head out the car window. Enjoy life.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL Vaquero View Post
I have the mustang seat also and had the guy add a support bar to it so it would not bend. I had and still think about power coating the rack and quick release brackets and leave the part attached to the bike chrome. If you want to come through just give me a call, Brian Cope. 618-335-0445. Its holding up very well the rollers on the bike attachements I think would ware off the coating. Thanks.
Thanks Brian, When I get down that way I'll be sure to give you a call. Here's mine so you know who's calling you, Rodney Keef 815-830-3155. From the pictures it didn't look like a Mustang unless you changed it since you took the pics.

2012 GREEN/BLACK VAQUERO

Kawi Luggage rack
Klockwerks 9" windshield
Mustang Seat
Ipod adapter kit/Ipod
Black ISO Grip
Offset ISO highway pegs
PC5 W/ignition
Leather saddlebag chaps
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 12:09 AM

I dont have the mustang seat on in any of the pictures.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode