Front bearings what did I do wrongs - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
gcsteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 225
Front bearings what did I do wrongs

So I changed my front tire last year and on my way to pittsburgh from Long Island I made it about half way and front bearings start to grind. Luckily I was able to find a shop about 5 miles from highway where I pulled over and was able to drive slowly to shop. The Nomad is in the shop now in Harrisburgh and I got a room in hotel. Ruby Tuesday next door had 5$ martinis so really feeling very lucky about the whole thing. They couldn't fix today because the Kawi dealer had no bearings, so waiting on ups tomorrow morning. The mechanic told me that it look like the person who put the wheel on last tightened the axle after they tightened the two allen bolts that hold the axle nut. When he loosened the allen bolt the forks sprung apart. So that isnt what happened, I put the wheel on and I did it according to the manuel and I tightened the axle first and then the inside allen bolt and the outside bolt and then the inside again. That is what the manuel says and I used a torque wrench on all three bolts. So what did I do wrong? The only thing I can think of is the wheel was on the ground when I tightnened the allen bolts. Now I will be scared to ever take my front tire off myself again and have to pay someone to do it. By the way the first time I took it off that thing was way tighter than specs The dealers dont use a torque wrench, that thing was at like 120lbs and spec is 94lbs I believe. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. The motorcycle has 16500 miles on it.

2009 Nomad
gcsteve is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
gcsteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 225
Thanks for the response. I will look into it tonight. Do you know how long bearings usually last?

2009 Nomad
gcsteve is offline  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
gcsteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 225
Thanks again. He sounded confident that he would have the bearings in the morning. So hopefully we make it to pittsburgh tomorrow afternoon.

2009 Nomad
gcsteve is offline  
 
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 08:40 PM
Top Contributor
 
twowheeladdict's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 2,656
Garage
Based on what I read here you might want to have the tech make sure all the wheel parts are there.

Also, when you put the wheel back on did you do the step where you put a block of wood in front of the tire and get on the bike and compress the front forks a few times before tightening the pinch bolts?

2010 Vulcan Voyager 1700 ABS, 2007 Vulcan Mean Streak 1600
2012 Concours 1400, 2011 Versys 650, 2012 KLX250S

see my garage for list of accessories
twowheeladdict is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
gcsteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Based on what I read here you might want to have the tech make sure all the wheel parts are there.

Also, when you put the wheel back on did you do the step where you put a block of wood in front of the tire and get on the bike and compress the front forks a few times before tightening the pinch bolts?
I did do about 1000 miles since the wheel was off and I just looked at the manuel the spacers are huge so I know they are there. There are no small pieces that I could have missed. I did compress the forks when I changed the tire but I dont think I used a block of wood.I was thinking that may be the cause too. I had it on the jack at home before I left the other day and both wheels were spinning fine. I didnt notice any friction.

2009 Nomad
gcsteve is offline  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 09:49 PM
Senior Member
 
gv550's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcsteve View Post
So I changed my front tire last year and on my way to pittsburgh from Long Island I made it about half way and front bearings start to grind. Luckily I was able to find a shop about 5 miles from highway where I pulled over and was able to drive slowly to shop. The Nomad is in the shop now in Harrisburgh and I got a room in hotel. Ruby Tuesday next door had 5$ martinis so really feeling very lucky about the whole thing. They couldn't fix today because the Kawi dealer had no bearings, so waiting on ups tomorrow morning. The mechanic told me that it look like the person who put the wheel on last tightened the axle after they tightened the two allen bolts that hold the axle nut. When he loosened the allen bolt the forks sprung apart. So that isnt what happened, I put the wheel on and I did it according to the manuel and I tightened the axle first and then the inside allen bolt and the outside bolt and then the inside again. That is what the manuel says and I used a torque wrench on all three bolts. So what did I do wrong? The only thing I can think of is the wheel was on the ground when I tightnened the allen bolts. Now I will be scared to ever take my front tire off myself again and have to pay someone to do it. By the way the first time I took it off that thing was way tighter than specs The dealers dont use a torque wrench, that thing was at like 120lbs and spec is 94lbs I believe. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. The motorcycle has 16500 miles on it.
See my response over on Vulcan Baggers.............there is no axle nut, and not possible to torque the axle after tightening the clamp bolts. Misaligned forks and/or over tightened axle will not cause a wheel bearing failure. Most likely cause is dirt or water, replacing the wheel seals regularly is the best preventative measure.

Garry

2009 Voyager ABS:
Sold at 679,465 kms
Improve handling, suspension and tire life
with Garry's Fork Brace.

Last edited by gv550; 05-16-2013 at 09:50 PM. Reason: spelling
gv550 is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 09:57 PM
Senior Member
 
gv550's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacomutt View Post
Hard to say. No reason they shouldn't last a very long time, but there is no set time or mileage. You should never use high pressure water around the axles while cleaning the bike. Lots of wheel bearings are damaged this way. Also, the process of removing the bearings from the hubs ruins them and they must be replaced. Kawasaki uses bearings that have seals on their outside face, but completely open on the inside face. I really don't see why you couldn't use double sealed bearings in these applications; I would think they would last longer. Usually you don't use double sealed bearings in high speed, or high temperature applications, but neither of those apply here. You might want to call the dealer in the morning and get the bearing number if you need to call around for outside help. The bearing will have a number like 6004 plus some other numbers. The 6004 is the bearing size, all the other stuff relates to seals, etc.. Your bearings will be 6004 or 6014, something like that. Good luck!
Not always.
Sometimes when the outer race is the rotating member, the bearing will have a special internal clearance, etched in the bearing as C3, for example. Getting a replacement from a jobber by simply comparing the model number could cause problems.
I actually remove the bearing seal every 80k or so, to wash out the old grease and repack with new, the bearings do have a seal both sides, in addition to the replaceable seal beside the bearing.

Garry

2009 Voyager ABS:
Sold at 679,465 kms
Improve handling, suspension and tire life
with Garry's Fork Brace.
gv550 is offline  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 11:02 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
king_arthur1953's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Searcy, Arkansas
Posts: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by gv550 View Post
Not always.
Sometimes when the outer race is the rotating member, the bearing will have a special internal clearance, etched in the bearing as C3, for example. Getting a replacement from a jobber by simply comparing the model number could cause problems.
I actually remove the bearing seal every 80k or so, to wash out the old grease and repack with new, the bearings do have a seal both sides, in addition to the replaceable seal beside the bearing.
Good information. In addition, and I do not know how the hub is made on the VV, there has to be a means to prevent the inside race from being side loaded. Thrust bearings are designed for side loads. Cone roller bearings are designed for some degree of side load. Ball bearings are not. Many times there will be a spacer between the 2 ball bearings that contact the inside race of the 2 opposing bearings not allowing them to be side loaded. If this is how the VV is designed, the spacer must be there.

Pastor Ron
"A man's true character is determined by what he does when no one is looking."
Pastor "That Biker Church"
President North Arkansas HonorBound Motorcycle Ministries
President/Founder "Wounded Spirit Ministries Inc."
Patriot Guard Rider

USAF 1971-19752010 Voyager 1700 ABS
Kawasaki CB Radio, J&B Elite headset, Ray's Throttle Mod, Road Commander II, Sagebrush Whale Tail Tank Bib, Firestik NGP CB antenna, Firestick AM/FM antenna eliminator, Amsoil engine oil and coolant
king_arthur1953 is offline  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 06:19 AM
Senior Member
 
gv550's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 226
The VN1700 hubs are very simple, bored in from both ends to provide a tight fit for the outer races and seals, and a smaller diameter bore between them to provide a locating shoulder for the bearings. No snap rings, spacers or any other parts.
The inner race spacer (between the bearings) is very slightly longer than the shoulder in the hub so no matter how tight the inner races are squeezed together the bearings are never pre-loaded.
Ball bearings are capable of carrying some thrust load, although not as much as a tapered roller bearing, but in theory there is no thrust (side load) on motorcycle wheels. All this great design and engineering bearing life expectancy goes out the window when people add sidecars and trike kits....

Garry

2009 Voyager ABS:
Sold at 679,465 kms
Improve handling, suspension and tire life
with Garry's Fork Brace.
gv550 is offline  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
gcsteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 225
I can usually take things apart and put them back together but I really appreciate the knowledge you guys have. I hope to keep learning about motorcycles. Thanks everyone for all the responses. I will post tonight and let everyone know how it goes.

2009 Nomad
gcsteve is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do I need to upgrade my rear bearings RePickrel Vulcan 2000 17 04-15-2016 09:30 PM
Two wrongs don't make a right cruisergeek The Lounge (Off Topic) 16 10-09-2011 09:27 AM
Front wheel bearings andyb Vulcan 800 7 04-22-2011 12:39 PM
front wheel bearings zach1 Vulcan 2000 3 07-08-2010 02:43 PM
July 11th - 12th - what did you do, where did you go??? bhoisington General Vulcan Talk 15 07-13-2009 10:07 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome