Vaquero tires and oil - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Vaquero tires and oil

I have seen conflicting reports on many threads over many forums so what exactly is the amount of quarts needed to do an oil change? I bought 5 qts of Amsoil 10w40 and a K&N filter to do my first oil change on my new to me bike. I've read 5.3 in the manual but have seen many say it's 5 and some say its less...

Also, I am planning on replacing my bald front tire with a Michelin Commander II, I currently have an Avon cobra 180 on the rear. Would it be ok to mix those two tires? What size Commander should be used on the rear since they do no have the stock size 170? When I went to Iron Pony today the only tires they had that were stock sized on the read were the Bridgestones.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 10:19 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_law23 View Post
I have seen conflicting reports on many threads over many forums so what exactly is the amount of quarts needed to do an oil change? I bought 5 qts of Amsoil 10w40 and a K&N filter to do my first oil change on my new to me bike. I've read 5.3 in the manual but have seen many say it's 5 and some say its less...

Also, I am planning on replacing my bald front tire with a Michelin Commander II, I currently have an Avon cobra 180 on the rear. Would it be ok to mix those two tires? What size Commander should be used on the rear since they do no have the stock size 170? When I went to Iron Pony today the only tires they had that were stock sized on the read were the Bridgestones.

Thanks!
Can't answer for the tires, but just did my break in oil change and it takes 5.3 qt if changing the filter.

2012 GREEN/BLACK VAQUERO

Kawi Quick release backrest
Kawi Passanger floorboards
Kawi Luggage rack
Klockwerks 9" windshield
Mustang Seat
Mustang pass backrest pad
Ipod adapter kit/Ipod
Black ISO Grip
Offset ISO highway pegs
PC5 W/ignition
Freedom Performance True Dual Exhaust
Altrimax HP 195/55/16 car tire.
Leather saddlebag chaps
Thunder mfg Tornado air intake
Thunder mfg Throttle Body Gasket
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 06:46 AM
BOTM Winner, April 2013

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_law23 View Post

Thanks!
For oil, how thoroughly you drain the oil will determine how much it takes to refill it. I drain mine in the completely vertical position. Once flow stops, I tilt it onto the kickstand and oil flows again. I repeat this until no oil drains. After this, I put in about 3 qts, put the cap on and fire it up. I rev it a few times to circulate the oil into the filter, then shut it down and add some more oil. I add another 1.5 qts for 4.5 total, then check the level and add more if needed. Mine takes around 5 qts total.
For tires, Michelin Commander II is the best option IMO. 130-90-16 for front and 180-65-16 for rear. I have over 10,000 miles on the rear, and it still looks great.

AKA The Green Hornet

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstorey823 View Post
For oil, how thoroughly you drain the oil will determine how much it takes to refill it. I drain mine in the completely vertical position. Once flow stops, I tilt it onto the kickstand and oil flows again. I repeat this until no oil drains. After this, I put in about 3 qts, put the cap on and fire it up. I rev it a few times to circulate the oil into the filter, then shut it down and add some more oil. I add another 1.5 qts for 4.5 total, then check the level and add more if needed. Mine takes around 5 qts total.
For tires, Michelin Commander II is the best option IMO. 130-90-16 for front and 180-65-16 for rear. I have over 10,000 miles on the rear, and it still looks great.

Thanks for the info. Ill make sure to drain thoroughly. I don't think I'm going to fire my bike up minus two quarts of oil but that's just my preference. I have a lot of life left on my Avon rear tire so what front tire would everyone reconmend?
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 08:44 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Why not fill, or partially fill the oil filter prior to installing it?
On full-flow systems, which virtually all cars and motorcycles are these days, all the oil goes through the filter before it reaches any other engine components. Why run several seconds with no oil pressure or flow when you can get virtually instant oil pressure and flow? Even horizontally mounted filters can be at least half filled with oil before spinning it on. It certainly cuts down on the time that the engine runs without oil pressure. I've been doing it this way for some 47 years.
Just my two cents worth....

Ron in Cincinnati

Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
.........Bob Seger
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 08:50 AM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Kawasaki Vaquero
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacomutt View Post
On full-flow systems, which virtually all cars and motorcycles are these days, all the oil goes through the filter before it reaches any other engine components. Why run several seconds with no oil pressure or flow when you can get virtually instant oil pressure and flow? Even horizontally mounted filters can be at least half filled with oil before spinning it on. It certainly cuts down on the time that the engine runs without oil pressure. I've been doing it this way for some 47 years.
+1 !

Jerry "Old Bear" Barker
Clarksville, TN
Americas Guardians PS MC
Tennessee 16-A Chapter
"Blaze" 2017 Vaquero
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 11:36 AM
BOTM Winner, April 2013

Garage
Quote:
I'm not sure it would help, but I'm pretty sure it can't hurt anything, so why not?

AKA The Green Hornet
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 12:50 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
I rev it a few times to circulate the oil into the filter, then shut it down and add some more oil.
Never rev a motor while the oil system is priming. Until the oil has passed through the filter and moved into the engine, all those moving parts are lubricated only with what's left sticking to them, and that's not nearly enough to be safe.

Quote:
Yes, +1 on this. Even a filter that's mounted horizontally can carry 4 oz. or so of oil while you spin it back on and shorten the amount of time it takes the system to prime. The owners manual for the 900 actually recommends you prime the filter with 4 oz. of oil.

OURS
2011 Victory Cross Roads, crimson red

"There is only one God, and His name is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'not today.'"
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 01:51 PM
Lifetime Premium

I sure hope you guys driving diesel pick-up trucks with the very large oil filters are filling the filters up before installing them. An idling diesel imposes almost the same bearing loads on the engine as when it's running under high power. It's just crazy running one of these for twenty seconds or so while the oil filter fills up.

Ron in Cincinnati

Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
.........Bob Seger
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 01:57 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
I sure hope you guys driving diesel pick-up trucks with the very large oil filters are filling the filters up before installing them. An idling diesel imposes almost the same bearing loads on the engine as when it's running under high power. It's just crazy running one of these for twenty seconds or so while the oil filter fills up.
Especially when you consider the Cummins will hold over a quart in the filter, and 7.3L Powerstrokes hold nearly 2 quarts. That's a long time for that motor to tap away dry. It's 10 seconds of work to help guarantee longer life in your engine.

Stepping off soap box...for now.

OURS
2011 Victory Cross Roads, crimson red

"There is only one God, and His name is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'not today.'"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode