spark plug fouling - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

spark plug fouling

I have a 2010 Nomad, and it was running rough so I decided to look/replace plugs. They were not worn, but did look a little fouled. I replace with original NGK plugs. The bike ran like a new bike, it resolved most of the issues with the engine, for about 400miles. Now it seems it is starting to run rough just like it was before I changed the plugs. I know with the ECU, there are no adjustments, but as lean as these bikes run, I cannot believe it would foul out the plug that fast. It is not using any oil. My mileage is 37mpg, starts normal, etc. Any ideas as to why it would foul the plugs? I do a lot of city driving, but still.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 06:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to Vulcan Hammer Send a message via Skype™ to Vulcan Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf2012 View Post
I have a 2010 Nomad, and it was running rough so I decided to look/replace plugs. They were not worn, but did look a little fouled. I replace with original NGK plugs. The bike ran like a new bike, it resolved most of the issues with the engine, for about 400miles. Now it seems it is starting to run rough just like it was before I changed the plugs. I know with the ECU, there are no adjustments, but as lean as these bikes run, I cannot believe it would foul out the plug that fast. It is not using any oil. My mileage is 37mpg, starts normal, etc. Any ideas as to why it would foul the plugs? I do a lot of city driving, but still.......
You didn't mention what octane fuel you are currently using on a regular basis. You may get more complete combustion from a lower octane level. Higher octane levels inhibits combustion in order to prevent predetonation in high compression engines. Try a tank of mid grade if you are currently using premium and see if that helps.

If you are using higher than 91 (U.S. Rating), or adding octane boosters, you may be fouling your plugs and spending money needlessly.

There is also the possibility that your wires or connections are bad and you are not getting proper sparking.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 06:52 PM

Have you pulled the new plugs to see if they are fouled again?Are you using a well known brand name fuel company or Joes gas at the corner store?Just asking.
I am running a PCV and run on average about 5% richer then stock and just checked my plugs after 8000 miles and I just did an all day run.They were white on the center electrode core which normally would indicate a lean condition.But with to days fuel additives not sure thats a real accurate way to determine fuel mixture anymore unless you are at extreme richness.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 07:00 PM
Top Contributor

You said resolved "most" of the issues.
What issue(s) were still present?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I run premium which here is 91 octane. I have not pulled the new plugs out to look at them yet. The old ones were black and fouled, not oil fouled but black. It resolved hesitation, excessive heat in jugs and headers, decel pop. I was surprised at the difference new plugs made, it makes me believe they have been fouled for some time. It did not resolve the hot start low idle problem. With only 7K on the clock, I have to believe it is a fuel problem. I don't want to go to a fuel manager, would rather leave it stock. As lean as these things run, I'm surprised they fouled at all. I've never used additives.

Last edited by Timberwolf2012; 05-14-2013 at 05:14 PM. Reason: add
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 05:43 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
I remember reading about defective ECUs on some 1700s I believe, think there is a recall maybe for it. Biggest problem was stalling if I remember right. Cant say for sure, but may ask your dealer if your is involved with it. May have bad controller. 2010 should still be under warranty?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 05:54 PM
Top Contributor

Take a look at sticky at top "Kawasaki issues recall....."
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Mine is not part of the recall, even though it completely shut off at 45mph for no reason, like you turned off switch, for 7-8 seconds, did not involve the clutch though . Kaw says there are no adjustments on the ECU, which I understand, but that does not help
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 12:00 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
I believe there were also issues with chafing wires, I think under the tank, but I think that was on the Voyager. Might be good idea to have your computer checked, and check the wiring to and from.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2005 800 classic
2012 Voyager ABS
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 03:21 PM

It did not resolve the hot start low idle problem.

I was reading this thread and seen this. I have a 09 Nomad. It runs great. Except. After I have run it and the engine temp is hot, if I let it set anywhere from 15 min to 20 hours, depending on the outside temperature, when I go to restart it, 85 90% of the time it will idle real low and sometimes even backfire and shut off. When I restart it fires right up. This usually happens more when the outside temp gets above 72. I have taken it to the dealer and they have tried to duplicate the problem but it wouldn't happen. I must say tho when it was there, it was in the fall and the weather turned cooler. I have not changed the plugs yet but I don't think that is the problem because it run fine once started. Also, I run 91 octane and it is stock. I have had the ECU changed, twice. The first one they put in, the cruise didn't work. Second one it did. By the way it did this even with the ECU that the cruise didn't work.
If anyone has any ideas feel free to chime in. I don't know if the diagnostic computer would show anything or not. According to my dealer he said it doesn't show stuff like that.
Thanks Bill
\
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode