PCV and other mods - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
PCV and other mods

I have a 2011 Voyager with Vance & Hines 2 into one pipes and a thunder air kit (with k&n filter) and PCV. Does anyone else have this combo and have you had any luck with the tuning?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2011 Kawasaki Voyager ABS
V&H 2:1 Pro Pipes
Thunder Air Kit/K&N Filter
PCV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorne View Post
I have a 2011 Voyager with Vance & Hines 2 into one pipes and a thunder air kit (with k&n filter) and PCV. Does anyone else have this combo and have you had any luck with the tuning?

i also have the v/h pro pipe with a pcv and auto tune ,air cleaner is stock at the moment but looking onto the allycat air cleaner.
The tuning is good so far
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I've had my bike Dyno tuned and although there was virtually zero difference between 'as was' and 'tuned' the bike is still max out at 88.5 Hp and a max torque of 91.24. This tells me the bike is running efficiently, however, there is still the issue with backfiring between shifts and pops on decel. Have you had any of these issues with your bike?

PCV

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 09:57 PM

i did have some decell pops but a little fuel in the idle graph stopped most of that ,
some have blocked of the air emission pipe in the air cleaner and i would say that will stop most decell popping, i think it is in the upper left of the air cleaner assembly
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I'm going to have a look at that emissions pipe. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks.

PCV
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 09:30 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
I've had my bike Dyno tuned and although there was virtually zero difference between 'as was' and 'tuned' the bike is still max out at 88.5 Hp and a max torque of 91.24. This tells me the bike is running efficiently, however, there is still the issue with backfiring between shifts and pops on decel. Have you had any of these issues with your bike?

All aspects of tuning that influence performance and operation should be addressed during a dyno tuning session. Utilizing a dyno allows the tuner FULL ACCESS to the entire rpm and throttle position range, and that of course includes the decelleration phase. Popping on decel as heard while riding will be heard if the decel phase is included in the dyno tuning session. The PCV allows full tuning capabilities and can minimize or outright eliminate popping on decel, as long as that is addressed during tuning.I wouild suggest contacting the dyno shop and have them address this issue, it should have been included in the tuning process, they should take care of this, and in my opinion at no charge to you.

Also before any tuning is performed I always ask...were new exhaust port gaskets used when the V&H 2-1 exhaust was installed? It is well documented of the intake manifold/throttle body leaks these 1700's have. I do not and will not perform any dyno tuning unless at least the Thunder Mfg throttle body gasket is installed. Both of these can have a negative affect on both performance and contribute to popping on decel.

I must ask what brand of dyno was used? Your H.P. and torque nmbrs are skewed, they don't make sense. Your H.P. is high while your torque is low, doesn't make sense. Most Vulcans with your mods will have about 80-84 H.P. but will achieve 98-100 pnds torque. These numbers are pretty consistant on my Dynojet dyno,if another brand of dyno was used the power and torque figures can't be compared to my nmbrs. Most forum memebers that have had their skoots dynoed have been on Dynojet dynos, and their nmbrs match those achieved on my dyno.

As far as the before and after figures being the same, the only way that can happen is if the air/fuel ratio the skoot had when it was first run on the dyno was ABSOLUTELY perfect. Dyno tuning will not improve those nmbrs, but if the a/f ratio at the 2,5,10,15,20,40,60,80% throttle positions was off then overall performance will improve.

Quote:
I'm going to have a look at that emissions pipe. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks.

This "emmissions pipe" MUST BE plugged during the dyno tuning process IF the tuner is sampling the air/fuel ratio. The extra air being drawn into the exhaust system brings with it about a 19-20% oxygen content that will produce false air/fuel ratios, causing the tuner to to compensate for what is happening in the exhaust system and not is what has happened in the combustion process. This hose should be permanently blocked off or plugged as this fresh air into the exhaust is a well documented source for popping on decel. Does the dyno shop have air/fuel ratio monitoring capabilities?

If you have any questions please call or pm me.

954-455-9665

RACNRAY

"TRUE HAPPINESS IS IN THE HEART,NOT IN THE OUTSIDE FIXES!!"
WITH OVER 42 YEARS AS A MOTORCYCLE TECHNICIAN/HI-PO SHOP OWNER I AM A PURVEYOR OF FACT NOT FICTION!
"WE LIVE OUR LIVES IN CHAINS NEVER KNOWING WE HAD THE KEY"
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 10:36 AM

A/F ratio?

Ray, what is the optimum AF ratio at the 2,5,10,15,20,40,60,80% throttle positions for the 1700s?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACNRAY View Post
All aspects of tuning that influence performance and operation should be addressed during a dyno tuning session. Utilizing a dyno allows the tuner FULL ACCESS to the entire rpm and throttle position range, and that of course includes the decelleration phase. Popping on decel as heard while riding will be heard if the decel phase is included in the dyno tuning session. The PCV allows full tuning capabilities and can minimize or outright eliminate popping on decel, as long as that is addressed during tuning.I wouild suggest contacting the dyno shop and have them address this issue, it should have been included in the tuning process, they should take care of this, and in my opinion at no charge to you.

Also before any tuning is performed I always ask...were new exhaust port gaskets used when the V&H 2-1 exhaust was installed? It is well documented of the intake manifold/throttle body leaks these 1700's have. I do not and will not perform any dyno tuning unless at least the Thunder Mfg throttle body gasket is installed. Both of these can have a negative affect on both performance and contribute to popping on decel.

I must ask what brand of dyno was used? Your H.P. and torque nmbrs are skewed, they don't make sense. Your H.P. is high while your torque is low, doesn't make sense. Most Vulcans with your mods will have about 80-84 H.P. but will achieve 98-100 pnds torque. These numbers are pretty consistant on my Dynojet dyno,if another brand of dyno was used the power and torque figures can't be compared to my nmbrs. Most forum memebers that have had their skoots dynoed have been on Dynojet dynos, and their nmbrs match those achieved on my dyno.

As far as the before and after figures being the same, the only way that can happen is if the air/fuel ratio the skoot had when it was first run on the dyno was ABSOLUTELY perfect. Dyno tuning will not improve those nmbrs, but if the a/f ratio at the 2,5,10,15,20,40,60,80% throttle positions was off then overall performance will improve.

This "emmissions pipe" MUST BE plugged during the dyno tuning process IF the tuner is sampling the air/fuel ratio. The extra air being drawn into the exhaust system brings with it about a 19-20% oxygen content that will produce false air/fuel ratios, causing the tuner to to compensate for what is happening in the exhaust system and not is what has happened in the combustion process. This hose should be permanently blocked off or plugged as this fresh air into the exhaust is a well documented source for popping on decel. Does the dyno shop have air/fuel ratio monitoring capabilities?

If you have any questions please call or pm me.

954-455-9665

RACNRAY
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 10:50 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by foater View Post
Ray, what is the optimum AF ratio at the 2,5,10,15,20,40,60,80% throttle positions for the 1700s?
I am sorry but I had to put into place a shop policy many years ago that I can't share air/fuel ratios. This info is very hard learned and I must reserve for my paying customers. It was a business decision I had to make to protect my shop and it's reputation as there is so much controversy in this matter, especially in the sportbike world where I come from.

I enjoy helping others and offering advice and sharing my knowledge in many areas, this is one area I don't.

RACNRAY

"TRUE HAPPINESS IS IN THE HEART,NOT IN THE OUTSIDE FIXES!!"
WITH OVER 42 YEARS AS A MOTORCYCLE TECHNICIAN/HI-PO SHOP OWNER I AM A PURVEYOR OF FACT NOT FICTION!
"WE LIVE OUR LIVES IN CHAINS NEVER KNOWING WE HAD THE KEY"
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 11:02 AM

Understand. thanks
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 09:24 PM

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to sansfaute
thunder air intake part #? what did you do to the left side?

Live Long and Ride
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Voyager,
Passenger Floorboard underside Chrome covers
Top bag rails
Lower bag rails
Chrome engine plate
Speed healer
Strebel Air horn
VN1500 side stand
RacnRay's throttle mod
I pod connector
Rear speaker kit
V Star Trunk rack
Bag Liners
Kuryakan off set foot pegs
K&N air filter
HD/Dunlop Wide whites
Kawasaki Zumo Gps mount
Zumo550 Gps
Cobra fuel processor
Cobra billet tip slip ons
Countless
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

VROC 31578
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode