Vaquero air shock leak... - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Vaquero air shock leak...

So they Vaquero has 2 separate valves to fill the rear shocks separately. I changed out the two aluminum pieces that have the valves / hoses attached to with one unit that connects the two chambers together so you can add air to just one valve and have equal pressure in both shocks. Since I bought it from a guy who made it, I wanted to check for any slow leak, so let it sit for a day and rechecked pressure, and it was down 10psi, 12 hours later down another 5 psi.

Oh, and when I took off the originals, air was release and I can't tell you the last time I checked or added air...so the originals were working fine.

So I decide to put the originals back on. Pump them both to about 25psi using a bike hand pump, with the intention of using a tire gauge and rerleasing air to match them both at 20psi. Well, the originals, neither side, will now hold air... WTH??!! I check psi with gauge, counted to 10, rechecked and lost 10 psi.

I have never used anything but the hand pump, and have never put more than 25psi in. I tried both using thread tape and not, same results. I made sure the valve hadn't come lose.

I am at a loss, I just can't believe this little project went downhill so fast, it makes no sense to me.... HELP!

2011 Kawasaki Vaquero

1989 Yamaha FJ1200
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 03:13 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
kinda seems obvious, but I'll go ahead and ask it anyway: did you wrap any threaded fittings with teflon tape?

Also, probably not it--i'm just snowballing--but are the valve cores removeable? I'd probably check their tightness just to be sure.

Get ya a spray bottle and mix a solution of water and dish soap, fill the air shocks, and spray the assembly down. Look for bubbles. That'll at least give you a place to start.

OURS
2011 Victory Cross Roads, crimson red

"There is only one God, and His name is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'not today.'"
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Yes, I did use teflon tape.

It appears upon quick rechecking of pressure multiple times that just doing so loses 5psi, so maybe what I thought was a leak was just air being purged when using the tire gauge...maybe since such a small system that could be the case?

I pumped it up, left the pump with gauge attached and let sit, and it didn't lose air. Used the tire gauge and it was was about 4psi less than the pump gauge read, and about where I want it. So I guess I will assume it is there, because if I check it again it will lose air...

2011 Kawasaki Vaquero

1989 Yamaha FJ1200

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 07:36 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
If you have a zero loss hand pump, why are you checking the pressure with a tire gauge?

2010 Vulcan Voyager 1700 ABS, 2007 Vulcan Mean Streak 1600
2012 Concours 1400, 2011 Versys 650, 2012 KLX250S

see my garage for list of accessories
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
If you have a zero loss hand pump, why are you checking the pressure with a tire gauge?
Not sure I have a zero loss pump, but you can barely here a very brief psss of airflow when disconnect. But the reason I was trying to check with my tire gauge (electronic / digital readout) is because the hand pump gauge can read upto 300psi, so due to the increments it isn't very accurate in the 0-30 range. I already owned it and needed it for my mountain bike forks...this one

2011 Kawasaki Vaquero

1989 Yamaha FJ1200
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 08:51 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy4Bob View Post
Not sure I have a zero loss pump, but you can barely here a very brief psss of airflow when disconnect. But the reason I was trying to check with my tire gauge (electronic / digital readout) is because the hand pump gauge can read upto 300psi, so due to the increments it isn't very accurate in the 0-30 range. I already owned it and needed it for my mountain bike forks...this one

http://www.amazon.com/RockShox-High-...ck+shocks+pump
Wrong tool for the job. 0 - 60 PSI zero loss pump is what you should be using. http://www.powersportsplace.com/part...FVBnOgodFF8AFQ I got mine at the local HD shop since my Kawi shop didn't carry it.

2010 Vulcan Voyager 1700 ABS, 2007 Vulcan Mean Streak 1600
2012 Concours 1400, 2011 Versys 650, 2012 KLX250S

see my garage for list of accessories
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Wrong tool for the job. 0 - 60 PSI zero loss pump is what you should be using. http://www.powersportsplace.com/part...FVBnOgodFF8AFQ I got mine at the local HD shop since my Kawi shop didn't carry it.
Understood, but what I had. Thats why I was using the more accurate gauge to try and fine tune what I wanted, just didn't realize the air loss it would cause

2011 Kawasaki Vaquero

1989 Yamaha FJ1200
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 11:35 PM
Top Contributor

I've tried a number of time to put air in my shocks but not having the right pump your fighting a losing battle. I just ordered this one tonight from ebay for $26 w/free ship, it will probably be a cheap peace of crap but has to work better than what I've been trying.

2012 GREEN/BLACK VAQUERO

Kawi Quick release backrest
Kawi Passanger floorboards
Kawi Luggage rack
Klockwerks 9" windshield
Mustang Seat
Mustang pass backrest pad
Ipod adapter kit/Ipod
Black ISO Grip
Offset ISO highway pegs
PC5 W/ignition
Freedom Performance True Dual Exhaust
Altrimax HP 195/55/16 car tire.
Leather saddlebag chaps
Thunder mfg Tornado air intake
Thunder mfg Throttle Body Gasket
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 04:17 AM

If you do not want to go for a full new hand pump route then there is a zero loss adapter made by toppeak. Good luck finding it in any store because I have had no luck but I know amazon has it for like $7.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode