Memphis Shades "Spoiler" Windshield Review - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Memphis Shades "Spoiler" Windshield Review

OK, so now that I have some miles on my 1700 Classic with the Batwing, I thought I'd give my two bits on my set up. Here's the mechanics for your own purposes. I am 5 Foot 13 inches tall (6'1) and a fairly fit 215 lbs. I'm average in my upper / lower torso balance, but when riding I do slouch a bit, although the 1700 has me slouching less than my other rides (geometry?), so perhaps is a none issue.

Right now, I'm running this set up:

- Stock saddle (Mustang Daytripper is at the dealership now)
- Memphis Batwing
- Spoiler V Stream style Windshield
- Chrome World Chrome Wind deflectors
- No Left or right add-on extenders on the Batwing, although I have them in the package still.

I should say that overall I get no buffeting wind and the wind that I am getting is controlled with no evidence of the BW shaking at speed. The BW works in unison with my choice of lowers well. It's a good solid set up that gives the front end presence.

In a regular riding position, I get a healthy amount of air coming over the windshield. How much? at 60 miles per hour it feels like I'm riding at about 30 mph. To me, it's perfect. If I sit right up straight and rigid, I get much more air, but I would only ride like that if I was stretching out my back for a couple of moments on a long ride. If i could sat back an inch or two, or was an inch shorter, or sat lower in the saddle, it would even be better.

Now, if I hit a swarm of locus, I'm gonna eat my fair share, and rain, yeah I'm gonna be fighting it a bit. But still, I am impressed with how much air is going over my head as evidenced by putting my hand above my forehead at speed. Still, I'm happy to be riding right on the edge as I don't like the idea of seeing my world through plexi. My preference and each to their own.

Today, I'm going to get my DayTripper, and I feel like I can make a good comparo.

More opinion coming if you guys want me to. Well, even if you don't . . it's coming!

KARATEMOTO!

Last edited by KarateMoto; 05-11-2013 at 10:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 02:07 PM

Garage
Mandatory pics when that seat is installed!

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 08:27 AM

Thanks a lot man. I just convinced myself I dont need a fairing and now you got me rethinking it. Lol. Definitly need to see some pics with the seat and lowers.

2009 Nomad

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 06:06 PM

Oh ya lol, once you ride with a fairing you won't want to again without it.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Garage
There is some decent pics of the lowers and fairing in my "Garage". I still haven't had time to pic up the new saddle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcsteve View Post
Thanks a lot man. I just convinced myself I dont need a fairing and now you got me rethinking it. Lol. Definitly need to see some pics with the seat and lowers.

KARATEMOTO!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarateMoto View Post
OK, so now that I have some miles on my 1700 Classic with the Batwing, I thought I'd give my two bits on my set up. Here's the mechanics for your own purposes. I am 5 Foot 13 inches tall (6'1) and a fairly fit 215 lbs. I'm average in my upper / lower torso balance, but when riding I do slouch a bit, although the 1700 has me slouching less than my other rides (geometry?), so perhaps is a none issue.

Right now, I'm running this set up:

- Stock saddle (Mustang Daytripper is at the dealership now)
- Memphis Batwing
- Spoiler V Stream style Windshield
- Chrome World Chrome Wind deflectors
- No Left or right add-on extenders on the Batwing, although I have them in the package still.

I should say that overall I get no buffeting wind and the wind that I am getting is controlled with no evidence of the BW shaking at speed. The BW works in unison with my choice of lowers well. It's a good solid set up that gives the front end presence.

In a regular riding position, I get a healthy amount of air coming over the windshield. How much? at 60 miles per hour it feels like I'm riding at about 30 mph. To me, it's perfect. If I sit right up straight and rigid, I get much more air, but I would only ride like that if I was stretching out my back for a couple of moments on a long ride. If i could sat back an inch or two, or was an inch shorter, or sat lower in the saddle, it would even be better.

Now, if I hit a swarm of locus, I'm gonna eat my fair share, and rain, yeah I'm gonna be fighting it a bit. But still, I am impressed with how much air is going over my head as evidenced by putting my hand above my forehead at speed. Still, I'm happy to be riding right on the edge as I don't like the idea of seeing my world through plexi. My preference and each to their own.

Today, I'm going to get my DayTripper, and I feel like I can make a good comparo.

More opinion coming if you guys want me to. Well, even if you don't . . it's coming!
I installed the daytripper on my classic about 2 weeks ago. Yesterday I finally was able to log a few miles over 400 to be exact. The daytripper allows to to sit back a bit farther and feels like I maybe be sitting a little (not for sure) higher in the saddle. The seat does seem more comfy and was worth the $238 purchase price. I am thinking of modifying my stock seat by cutting down the foam a little and adding a gel cushion.

Current stable:
2009 VN 1700 Classic
2001 Kaw ZX12R
1983 Suzuki GS 1100E
1986 Goldwing 1200 Interstate
1984 Harley FLHT--rat glide
past rides:
1974 XR75
77 CB 550K
73 CB750
81 LTD 1000
83 XJ 750
83 VIRAGO 750
78 XS 1100
01 CBR 600
93 CBR 900R
01 1100 SHADOW
93 KATANA 600
79 KAW 750 TWIN
05 250 KTM
86 XL 600
plus many more
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 11:50 AM

Thanks for this KarateMoto! I recently installed a BW on my 900 Classic. However, it does shake at high speeds, not sure why. Taking it to the shop today - perhaps they can figure something out.

I'm 6 feet tall and got the 9" shield to go with. However, that too seem to short as a lot of buffetting experienced. Any ideas, advice most appreciated.

I'm also looking at changing my stoxk seat - eating my bum raw on semi long rides. I'm looking into the Daytripper, Russell, and Ultimate seats. Which would you say is best?

Thanks for looking out guys!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
$238???

Holy Crap do we get hosed in Canada! I paid $395 . . it better be worth it!

I don't like the idea of sitting higher. It may be the Mustang that Ic cut down once I pick it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by figman View Post
I installed the daytripper on my classic about 2 weeks ago. Yesterday I finally was able to log a few miles over 400 to be exact. The daytripper allows to to sit back a bit farther and feels like I maybe be sitting a little (not for sure) higher in the saddle. The seat does seem more comfy and was worth the $238 purchase price. I am thinking of modifying my stock seat by cutting down the foam a little and adding a gel cushion.

KARATEMOTO!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarateMoto View Post
Holy Crap do we get hosed in Canada! I paid $395 . . it better be worth it!

I don't like the idea of sitting higher. It may be the Mustang that Ic cut down once I pick it up!
That sucks. I purchased mine from Dennis Kirk. I do seem to set a little higher but haven't confirmed that for sure. I will put my stock seat back on and get some measurements. The difference in height seems nominal to me.

Current stable:
2009 VN 1700 Classic
2001 Kaw ZX12R
1983 Suzuki GS 1100E
1986 Goldwing 1200 Interstate
1984 Harley FLHT--rat glide
past rides:
1974 XR75
77 CB 550K
73 CB750
81 LTD 1000
83 XJ 750
83 VIRAGO 750
78 XS 1100
01 CBR 600
93 CBR 900R
01 1100 SHADOW
93 KATANA 600
79 KAW 750 TWIN
05 250 KTM
86 XL 600
plus many more
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Picked Up The Mustang Daytripper

Back a few inches and possibly up an inch at the most. Likely less. I took the cover off the stock saddle and have started cutting it down and dishing the tailbone area. Pics coming!

In the meantime . . I dunno . . do I like it? Weight in please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by figman View Post
That sucks. I purchased mine from Dennis Kirk. I do seem to set a little higher but haven't confirmed that for sure. I will put my stock seat back on and get some measurements. The difference in height seems nominal to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Seat 3.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	29562   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	29570   Click image for larger version

Name:	Seat 2.jpg
Views:	198