Exhaust leak with new slip ons - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

Exhaust leak with new slip ons

Just got a set of V&H slip ons. Put them on, tightened them all up, and then started the bike, reaching my hand under to check for noticeable leaks.

Of note, gaskets stayed in the pipes, did not come out with the mufflers.

The left side seems to be great, but I have quite a bit of air coming out of the right side pipe. I have loosened and tightened the clamp up several times, no real sign of improvement.

Any ideas? Id prefer not to have to try to remove the gasket for a new one if not necessary.

Thanks!

Matt

****EDIT****

Update - Got to work on this over the weekend, got it all buttoned up. I pulled out the gasket (not too bad), but in hind sight, I dont know if was all the way in when I was tightening it the first time, but its too late to worry about that now!

So I get the gasket out, do a little Permatex on the muffler, make sure it goes into the gasket well, and then put the gasket back into the header pipe. It had little raised areas where it was clamped before, as the clamp area is designed as such. So I made sure to put in the muffler gasket oriented about 60* clockwise, so none of these lined up where they were before. Slid the pipe back in, clamped it all down, and have it running like a champ.

Thanks to all for the assistance!

Last edited by el_chupo_; 05-06-2013 at 08:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 11:04 AM

Sorry to say that just may be your only option. That gasket is a really soft material and can be damaged really easily.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 01:23 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_chupo_ View Post
Just got a set of V&H slip ons. Put them on, tightened them all up, and then started the bike, reaching my hand under to check for noticeable leaks.

The left side seems to be great, but I have quite a bit of air coming out of the right side pipe. I have loosened and tightened the clamp up several times, no real sign of improvement.

Any ideas? Id prefer not to have to try to remove the gasket for a new one if not necessary.

Thanks!

Matt
If you don't want or can't remove the gasket just get some high temp gasket material (in a tube). I have used this on a few exhausts and it works fine as long as you let it set up. Get the highest temp you can and coat the entire end of the pipe before you slip it back in. Permatex makes a high temp silicone in a tube, easy to use. Good luck.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Actually talked to a mechanic friend about this a little bit ago, and he mentioned back in his hot rod days they used to use hi-temp silicone in all their exhaust flanges/mounting areas, even with new clamps to ensure a good seal. Said some of it would burn out, but the stuff making the seal, with a good clamp or bolted on well would last forever in there.

I may try that, as I have some permatex hi-temp at home from a Jeep project, and if it doesnt work ill buy the gasket.

Thanks!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 12:50 AM
Top Contributor

I jacked with the sealer and could not get it to seal up that way so broke down and bought the gaskets. They are outrageously prices I think they were around 50 bucks a piece.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2010 Voyager
Scootworks 2 inch fat risers
vance&Hines slipons
Mustang Wide Touring studded
PCV
Michelin commander 2
Ipod adapter
Titanium header wrap
8 to 12.5 inch bagger windshield
Iso grips with Rays throttle mod
Chrome rear floor board covers
Kams Kit
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 07:53 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by new kawi rider View Post
I jacked with the sealer and could not get it to seal up that way so broke down and bought the gaskets. They are outrageously prices I think they were around 50 bucks a piece.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Yikes! I couldn't find a set in town specifically for my bike so I went to an RV dealer and asked him to look into the exhaust for a quad four wheeler (which has a similar crossover system and pipe size). The gaskets were the same size and about 15.00 for two. Most parts people don't seem to be able to think outside the box....if the exact part # isn't available on the computer screen, you get that blank look.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 08:52 AM

Ken's Sports they are $20.26 each. On line.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 04:53 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_chupo_ View Post

Thanks!

Matt
Like I said, ask the parts person to check out the ones on a 4 wheeler or something.....as long as you know the diameter of the pipe it's going on it doesn't matter what it's made for. I can get them for 10 bucks a piece...tops. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode