1700 Nomad Before & After Ray - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

1700 Nomad Before & After Ray

Thanks to RACNRAY @ Cycle Race Tek for the work he and Mark did for me on my 2011 1700 Nomad. When I took the bike to the shop, all I had done was take the stock filter out and replace it with a K&N, and install a set of Cobra Tri-Ovals. Mark and Ray installed a Thunder intake gasket, Chuckster's air kit and a PCV w/ignition module. I had also previously had Ray's throttle modification installed.

I'm very pleased with the results! It's almost like riding a brand new bike. There is a noticeable difference in the throttle response and quickness, and as an added bonus . . . it looks like I got a fairly significant increase in gas mileage; looks like at least 5-6 mpg. I didn't get to ride anywhere near as much as I would have liked since I picked up the bike, but I aim to cure that soon!

Ray did 3 sets of dyno runs during different stages of the installation and tuning. I'd be willing to share those results if anyone is interested.

Mike Bellamy
Clewiston, FL
2011 Nomad
Corbin Dual Touring Saddle
CWI Luggage Rack
Kuryakyn Grips w/RACNRAY's Throttle Mod
Vance & Hines Slip-Ons
Thunder Mfg. Intake Gasket
Chuckster's Big Air Kit
PCV w/Ignition Module
Dyno and Tune (by RACNRAY!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 07:15 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Kawasaki Vaquero
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Red
Oh, you're killing me here! I would LOVE to get to take my bike by Ray's place and have him finish tuning it out! And yes, I would like the results, and even the mapping as well (if that's allowed), as that is exactly the same setup I will have once I get the Tri-Ovals. I know engines are not the same and it wouldn't be a perfect match, but closer than guessing until I find a good tune shop.
I now know that Chuckster's Air Intake System dramatically increased intake noise. Now that you have that with the Tri-Ovals, give it your best shot at describing the sound for me please! I'm just not gonna be happy 'till I get those slip-ons!

Jerry "Old Bear" Barker
Clarksville, TN
Americas Guardians PS MC
Tennessee 16-A Chapter
"Blaze" 2017 Vaquero
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 10:31 PM

Garage
What is the Thunder Gasket worth and does anyone have a how to ort pics?

KARATEMOTO!

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 04:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bear View Post
Oh, you're killing me here! I would LOVE to get to take my bike by Ray's place and have him finish tuning it out! And yes, I would like the results, and even the mapping as well (if that's allowed), as that is exactly the same setup I will have once I get the Tri-Ovals. I know engines are not the same and it wouldn't be a perfect match, but closer than guessing until I find a good tune shop.
I now know that Chuckster's Air Intake System dramatically increased intake noise. Now that you have that with the Tri-Ovals, give it your best shot at describing the sound for me please! I'm just not gonna be happy 'till I get those slip-ons!
The max. horsepower and torque for my bike with the Tri-Ovals and K&N filter was 75.26 hp and 92.25 lbs. After installing the Thunder gasket, the air kit and the PCV (set to zero), the max. h.p. increased to 78.93, but the torque actually dropped to 90.37. Finally, after the tune and mapping, the max. h.p. was increased to 83.86 and the torque topped out at 100.43 lbs!

After the mods were complete, my bike had roughly a 13% to 14% gain in max. h.p. over stock and about a 10% to 11% gain over just the Tri-Ovals; and the max. torque increased roughly 10% to 11% over stock and about 8% to 9% over the Tri-Ovals alone.

To be honest, I haven't noticed a significant increase in intake noise, but I opted to keep the stock covers; mostly for that very reason. After reading a BUNCH of posts on the Tri-Ovals versus the V&H slip-ons, I decided on the Tri-Ovals knowing that I would be giving up some performance increases, but being reasonably sure that they would be a bit quieter. After installing the Tri-Ovals, I think the V&H have a deeper growl to them, but I really like the Tri-Ovals too. When you run up through the gears or 'get on it' you'll definitely hear them bark . . . I think they sound pretty damn good and they don't deafen the wife; which was also an important consideration!!!

I'm a bit embarassed to admit that I don't have a clue what my PCV map looks like. I guess I was so excited to get the bike back that I didn't even think to ask Ray about it. I'll send him a PM or give him a call and I'll let you know what I find out!! Hope this helps.

Mike Bellamy
Clewiston, FL
2011 Nomad
CWI Luggage Rack
Vance & Hines Slip-Ons
Chuckster's Big Air Kit
PCV w/Ignition Module
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 04:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarateMoto View Post
What is the Thunder Gasket worth and does anyone have a how to ort pics?
If you're asking what the gasket costs, it was right @ $12.50 shipped. Sorry, I can't help with the how-to pics.

Mike Bellamy
Clewiston, FL
2011 Nomad
CWI Luggage Rack
Vance & Hines Slip-Ons
Chuckster's Big Air Kit
PCV w/Ignition Module
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 05:19 AM

Sounds like maybe I need to ride down to FL drop off the bike and go to the beach for a few days why Ray works on it. Hum maybe Disney Worald been a while since I went there.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 06:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtech1 View Post
Sounds like maybe I need to ride down to FL drop off the bike and go to the beach for a few days why Ray works on it. Hum maybe Disney Worald been a while since I went there.
I think I'd opt for the beach . . . just my opinion! And while I can't speak for everyone, Ray certainly treated me well and did a nice job on my bike. I'm very pleased!

Mike Bellamy
Clewiston, FL
2011 Nomad
CWI Luggage Rack
Vance & Hines Slip-Ons
Chuckster's Big Air Kit
PCV w/Ignition Module
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 07:36 AM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtech1 View Post
The beach yes, but Disney is about 3-4 hrs north of Ray. That would be a long walk without any wheels...lol

2012 Vaquero Candy Lime Green/Black
1700 Nomad (Deceased)
Cobra Tri-Oval Exhaust
Racnrays Invention (Throttle Mod)
Ivan's Flash
Thunder Tornado Air Kit
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 07:42 AM

Garage
Wow . . So cheap cheap cheap . . .

Cool thanks! Anyone out their in Kawai land with a part number?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 900Buddy View Post
If you're asking what the gasket costs, it was right @ $12.50 shipped. Sorry, I can't help with the how-to pics.

KARATEMOTO!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 08:11 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarateMoto View Post
Cool thanks! Anyone out their in Kawai land with a part number?

Thanks!
The throttle body gasket is only available thru Thunder Mfg, the company that makes BAK's. The gasket is not a Kawi part. Go to Thunder's website to order it.

RACNRAY

"TRUE HAPPINESS IS IN THE HEART,NOT IN THE OUTSIDE FIXES!!"
WITH OVER 42 YEARS AS A MOTORCYCLE TECHNICIAN/HI-PO SHOP OWNER I AM A PURVEYOR OF FACT NOT FICTION!
"WE LIVE OUR LIVES IN CHAINS NEVER KNOWING WE HAD THE KEY"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode