Belt whining... - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

Belt whining...

I'm not sure, never made this sound before but 4 days ago the wide and I went on a dayride, got caught in a bad rain storm, had to find shelter for the bike and us, too much lightening..
Anyway, we had to stop twice to get out of the rain.....Some area roads home filled with water, maybe 2-3 inches and had to go down these roads a very short distance and rode very slow through the water.....We never rode into flooding areas, stayed on the high areas of the roads but some were covered like I said, 2-3 inches....
Yesterday I cleaned the bike and rode it to get some gas, less than a mile but when I came to stop signs, I can hear a nasty whining noise when I come to a stop, the whine stops when I'm stopped...Never did it before and I've been in rain before, this time it was alittle more rain than normal...My question is, do the blets get soggy andf need to run awhile to dry out or it there something now wrong with the spokes that the belt turns on??

I'm gonna ride it later today to see if running it, getting the belt stretched out again solves the noise, do these belts shrink to??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 08:02 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
My belt whine always sounds like the reverb of a brass horn.

With all that water; I wonder if you have a little rust on your brake disks?

Scott

2012 Voyager 1700 ---SOLD
Pearl Alpine White/Pearl Luster Beige
Nice

2011 Rocket III Touring
Phantom Black
Naughty

2016 Indian Roadmaster
Thunder Black

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

I guess I'll take it out for a bit, use the brakes, see if that may be the issue, never heard this particular sound before, I have always had a belt noise, I hear that's normal for the Voyager, annoying to because other belt drive bikes don't have this issue or sound......I'll post a response later if it is a brake issue...

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 08:56 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Law Dawg View Post
I guess I'll take it out for a bit, use the brakes, see if that may be the issue, never heard this particular sound before, I have always had a belt noise, I hear that's normal for the Voyager, annoying to because other belt drive bikes don't have this issue or sound......I'll post a response later if it is a brake issue...
Every belt drive bike that I have ridden has had a certain amount of whine to it. My buddy rode his 900 with me on my Voyager on a 5000 km trip and it pretty much made noise the while time....mostly at lower speeds tho. I notice a little on my Voyager at lower speeds but it's nothing to worry about as the belt is properly aligned and not too tight. Just wondering if you were riding shaft drive before your new bike......I went from a 1500 classic and was a little surprised at the noise as the shaft drive is totally silent.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

I use to ride a 2003 1800 VTX I bought new in 03....Very quiet, this is my first belt drive bike...2010 Voyager I bought new, 28,000 miles so far and it's always had a whine to it...Other Voyager riders say its normal with this bike..I've rode friends HD's and never heard this type of whinning....But after this rain storm, it whines more but really noticable as I am stopping, possibly like he said, the brakes but I'm heading out to ride some now, I'll see how it sounds after a few hours of riding..
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 09:55 AM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law Dawg View Post
I'm not sure, never made this sound before but 4 days ago the wide and I went on a dayride, ...
I hope this was typo because if I would have said that I would have paid for it from the WIFE. lol.

I don't own a voyager but my V2K is belt driven. I was surprised at the amount of noise it made, but every bike I owned before (1500 Classic, 1600 mean Streak, 650 honda nighthawk, 1100 v-star) were shaft driven. If I get caught in the rain my belt make a bit if a chirp sound until it dries. But it usually don't take long for it to go away.

1985 Honda Nighthawk 650 (First Bike)
2004 Vulcan 1500 Classic (First Big Bike)
2007 Vulcan 1600 Meanstreak (Love Affair)
1999 Yamaha 1100 V-Star Custom (Right Price at the Time)
2008 V2K Classic (Favorite Vulcan)
2014 HD Ultra Limited (Bells and Whistles)
Who would have thought I would grow up to become "Spatially Educated" and play Connect-the-Dots for a living.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Just got back from running it down US 59 from Sugar Land Texas....Put 40 miles on it, the whining I heard as the bike was coming to a stop has now stopped...All I hear now is the usual engine/belt whining that it always had....So I guess it either needed to be run to dry the belt out or stretch it out again, whatever the cause, it's back to how it's always sounded....Thanks for the responses..(and "wide" was a type-o, lol)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 05:05 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Kawasaki Classic
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Black
Garage
My Classic had a whine that changed with accel/decel. Much better after a few thousand miles. Agree that proper alignment and tension may reduce it. Read somewhere the original factory spec was too tight.

Stitch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode