What revs and what gear do you normally run? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 06:54 AM Thread Starter

What revs and what gear do you normally run?

Just curious my bike runs really well at about 3400 rpm call it a sweet spot. But with speed limits and loss of points being what they are in Australia there are few places I can run in 5th gear at those revs. At 2800rpm in 5th my speed is about 100kph our speed limit on all but our freeways where it is 110 kph about 33-3400rpm

If I drop back to 4th I can get the speed right and the revs at about 3400 where the engine runs sweet.

I worry about the gear box and the stress on 4th gear etc if i travel for too long in tha ear t those revs.

Any thoughts?

2009 Voyager, "Battle Star"
SageBrush Bib,
LED's around Headlight,
Chrome cup holders,
Marvellas passenger and rider highway pegs,
Grasshoper backrest,
Kawasaki Gel seats,
Grey Sheepskin Seat covers,
Kawasaki Rear Speakers,
Ipod Kit,
H.D. trunk rack,
Chrome passenger board covers,
Chrome Engine plate,
Door Controller,
Fog Lights wired to High Beam on/off.
Speedo Healer, Backoff Brake Module
KAM's heat kit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BLue Knights BKAUS11 and
BlueLiners Australia

Ride with Pride
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 08:25 AM

My bike has sweet spot for power at about 3300 or 3400 rpm like yours, but the gas mileage sweet spot seems to be around 2800-3000 (stock ECU). Lots of times on country roads or street traffic I run around 2600 rpm with a slight decrease in mileage. I'm not in 5th gear unless I am over about 52 mph.

2009 Vulcan Voyager, Wolo Bad Boy air horn, Kuryakyn ISO grips with contoured throttle boss, Kuryakyn Adjustable Floorboard Cruise Peg mounts with pegs, Cobra Tri-Oval exhaust, K&N air filter, temperature dipstick, saddlebag rails, Superbright trunk light flasher.
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 08:32 AM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozrtravlin View Post
Just curious my bike runs really well at about 3400 rpm call it a sweet spot. But with speed limits and loss of points being what they are in Australia there are few places I can run in 5th gear at those revs. At 2800rpm in 5th my speed is about 100kph our speed limit on all but our freeways where it is 110 kph about 33-3400rpm

If I drop back to 4th I can get the speed right and the revs at about 3400 where the engine runs sweet.

I worry about the gear box and the stress on 4th gear etc if i travel for too long in tha ear t those revs.

Any thoughts?

Just a quick reminder 5th and 6th are overdrive gears. I wouldn't worry about hurting 4th. Just think how long does anyone really stay in the lower gears. When was the last time you cruised in 2nd miles and miles? Understand what I mean? Kawai would hate to have to replace/rebuild transmissions all the time.

2012 Vaquero Candy Lime Green/Black
1700 Nomad (Deceased)
Cobra Tri-Oval Exhaust
Racnrays Invention (Throttle Mod)
Ivan's Flash
Thunder Tornado Air Kit

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 09:19 AM
Lifetime Premium

Kawasaki says you can be in 6th gear at 38 mph, or 60 k/ph.
It's a 1700 cc V-twin. It should be running just fine at much lower rpm's.
My 900 is perfectly happy at 2400 rpm's in top gear, and I will run it in that gear as low as 1900 rpm's. It's what it's made for.

Ron in Cincinnati

Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
.........Bob Seger
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 09:32 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacomutt View Post
Kawasaki says you can be in 6th gear at 38 mph, or 60 k/ph.
It's a 1700 cc V-twin. It should be running just fine at much lower rpm's.
My 900 is perfectly happy at 2400 rpm's in top gear, and I will run it in that gear as low as 1900 rpm's. It's what it's made for.
+1 (except 6th @ 38mph)

When accelerating I shift around 3k and I cruise between 22k & 28k.

Sure I use the rest of the tach when I'm feeling a bit sporty or in traffic and need a quicker responce time. But, mid 20s makes for a nice relaxing ride in the country.

Scott

2012 Voyager 1700 ---SOLD
Pearl Alpine White/Pearl Luster Beige
Nice

2011 Rocket III Touring
Phantom Black
Naughty

2016 Indian Roadmaster
Thunder Black

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 09:37 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_in_TX View Post
+1 (except 6th @ 38mph)

When accelerating I shift around 3k and I cruise between 22k & 28k.

Sure I use the rest of the tach when I'm feeling a bit sporty or in traffic and need a quicker responce time. But, mid 20s makes for a nice relaxing ride in the country.

Scott
The only reason I would consider a larger bike and motor is to run at even lower rpm's than I run now. "Sweet spot" at 3400? If I had a 1700, I doubt I'd ever see that....

Ron in Cincinnati

.........Bob Seger
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 10:10 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
The only reason I would consider a larger bike and motor is to run at even lower rpm's than I run now. "Sweet spot" at 3400? If I had a 1700, I doubt I'd ever see that....
I've bounced it off the rev limiter a few times, but even just stretching the gears out to 4.5k will outrun most cars.

Doz,
I usually don't go into 6th below 70mph/115kph?, but 5th should be smooth & quiet at those revs.
When I went from my 900 to the VV it felt funny riding at those revs at first, but give a few miles and see if it gets more comfortable.

Scott

Nice

2011 Rocket III Touring
Phantom Black
Naughty

2016 Indian Roadmaster
Thunder Black

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 10:56 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_in_TX View Post
I've bounced it off the rev limiter a few times, but even just stretching the gears out to 4.5k will outrun most cars.

Doz,
I usually don't go into 6th below 70mph/115kph?, but 5th should be smooth & quiet at those revs.
When I went from my 900 to the VV it felt funny riding at those revs at first, but give a few miles and see if it gets more comfortable.

Scott
I just don't see this. The manufacturer says you can shift from 5th to 6th at 38 mph, and then ride it back down to 28 mph before you have to shift back down to 5th. What do you guys know that Kawi doesn't?

Ron in Cincinnati

.........Bob Seger
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 02:52 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
I just don't see this. The manufacturer says you can shift from 5th to 6th at 38 mph, and then ride it back down to 28 mph before you have to shift back down to 5th. What do you guys know that Kawi doesn't?
Hey Ron, you don't follow the MOM on every detail do you?

Below about 2k RPMs on the 1700, there is a lack of torque, the engine is slow to respond and you can get lurching.

Shifting under 2.5k can be very clunky and stiff. I find that shifting after 3k can be made very quiet, quick & smooth.

Maybe that 6 foot+, 150lb Japanese man these bikes were designed around enjoys power pulses but doesn't like vibration.

Scott

Nice

2011 Rocket III Touring
Phantom Black
Naughty

2016 Indian Roadmaster
Thunder Black

post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 04:13 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
I will start by saying I can add nothing useful to this thread, since my big twin is a different animal. But I'll weigh in anyway, since I have absolutely nothing better to do with my time

My Vic feels sluggish in every gear below 2500 rpm. I frequently cruise around in 2nd gear, since that gives me just about 2500 rpm at 25 mph. I'll usually carry it to 30 mph and frequently, since there's a 30 mph zone on my route to and from work. 80 mph in 6th gear is 3000 rpm on the money. I rarely run above 5th for speeds below 65, however. And I've frequently ridden 4th for many miles at a shot, especially in the mountains where the speed limits are often 45-55.

And I can say for certain if I tried to lug 28 mph on my bike in 6th gear, it'd die.

like I said, nothing useful from a Vulcan standpoint lol

OURS
2011 Victory Cross Roads, crimson red

"There is only one God, and His name is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'not today.'"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode