ClearView Shield - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

ClearView Shield

Okay. So, I got my Clearview shield last night and put it on the Vaquero.

I got the 'Large' Sized Shield, In Light Grey Tint, with the vent. I had a few concerns before I received it. I was concerned about the size. I thought well, maybe I should have ordered a smaller - or a larger. I was concerned about the tint. I didn't want it to be too dark, especially for night riding. I never had a shield with a vent before, so I had reservations about that.

Now that I have it on, however - the size is perfect. Clearview has some pretty good tips for ordering the right size shield, and it worked for me. Prior to this, I had a habit of slouching. I've got some bad discs, so this is no doubt causing me some unnecessary pain. It's a lot more comfortable now. I find myself sitting up straight instead of slouching down.

The tint color is perfect. It's not too dark. It's easy to see through. I haven't ridden at night yet with it, but I see no problems.

I haven't used the vent in the open position yet, but it seems to be of good construction and worked just fine in the closed position.

First thing I noticed when I put the shield on - and this was before I even jumped on the bike - the radio seemed louder. Maybe it's my imagination, maybe it's the shape of the shield. Maybe I cleaned my ears out this morning. It just seems louder, even on the highway.

On the negative side, I'm not a huge fan of how they did the bottom of the shield. You know how on the stock Vaquero shields it has that black plastic piece that covers the bottom where you put the screws through? Their solution was to replace that with what I assume is a vinyl sticker. Don't get me wrong, it works - I'm just not a huge fan of it. This is saying it a little harshly, but I think it gives an otherwise quality shield a 'cheap' look.

That's all I've got to say about it right now. I'd buy another.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	26665  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 03:13 PM

Thanks for the update, I have mine on order and it's in production.

2014 Honda Gold Wing
2011 Vaquero sold
2009 900lt sold
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 05:38 PM

So lunatic are the shields recurved up at the top like I've herd and do you feel it pushes the air up any more? Being 6'2" I have the 14" Ceebailys and I still catch the air in the forehead. It sounds like the LRG clearview would be just perfect hearing it said that the LRG one was a bit taller than 14" ceebaily and with the recurve top would be perfect.

BigA80

2011 Red Vaquero
iPod Adapter / TLC bag liners / KQR luggage rack + KQR mount kit / Kuryakyn: Hwy Pegs w/extensions -ISO grips w/mod -Bar end helmet locks / Thunder stk cover air kit/ PCV / Mustang seat w/backrest / V&H slash cut slip ons / Wrapped exhaust/ Med. tinted Clearview windshield

>2006 Suzuki Boulavard C50

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 07:09 AM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
I had the clearview tall light gray with vent on my Venture... Best windshield I ever had.... When I need to replace the one on the Voyager I will get one then.

But without the vent. It dod not provide any better air flow cooling, but it did let rain come through it and get your chest wet, let small rocks through and hit your chest, bugs, birds, or anything else that hit the vent. LOTS of bug gut splat.....

When it is closed, it is not really closed...... to me and the other two Venture owners with it... it was a waste of 50 bucks add on. We did not like it.

Bubba in TX

2011 Voyager "Betty Clunker"

A bad day on a motorcycle is better than a good day in a car

Some people collect T-shirts
I actually ride

Voyager 1700 owners...
WRAP your pipes....
You will be glad you did...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
U.S.A.F. Retired

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Nye County Nevada
Motor Officer Retired
Blue Knights Texas 43
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 10:03 AM

Thanks Bubba, you confirmed what I was thinking about the vent. I was going to get the vent but at the last minute passed on it, looks like I made a good decision per your report.

2014 Honda Gold Wing
2011 Vaquero sold
2009 900lt sold
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 11:06 AM

I had one on my 2009 Venture. It was a great quality windshield, the company is awesome to work with but I didn't like the recurve feature. I felt it distorted my view in curves. If I get one for my Voyager, I'll order it without the recurve feature.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigA80 View Post
So lunatic are the shields recurved up at the top like I've herd and do you feel it pushes the air up any more? Being 6'2" I have the 14" Ceebailys and I still catch the air in the forehead. It sounds like the LRG clearview would be just perfect hearing it said that the LRG one was a bit taller than 14" ceebaily and with the recurve top would be perfect.
Mine was not recurved. Here's a better picture attached. I'm not sure if having it recurved at the top is an option that I missed or not.

If it was, I probably would have passed on having it recurved.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	27026  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba in TX View Post
But without the vent. It dod not provide any better air flow cooling, but it did let rain come through it and get your chest wet, let small rocks through and hit your chest, bugs, birds, or anything else that hit the vent. LOTS of bug gut splat.....
I've had no problem with debri flying through the vent thus far. I've ridden through a light to moderate shower with the vent partially open, and while I didn't notice any problems, I wasn't looking for one also. I'll be more aware the next rain shower - maybe this afternoon if the newsman is right.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.G View Post
I had one on my 2009 Venture. It was a great quality windshield, the company is awesome to work with but I didn't like the recurve feature. I felt it distorted my view in curves. If I get one for my Voyager, I'll order it without the recurve feature.
When I received it, I was actually glad it wasn't recurved for just that reason. The top is the perfect height and if it was curved I think it would be too much of a distraction for me.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 04:13 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
I had a re curve on my 400 Yamaha Majesty. I am 6-2 and it really worked well for that low steep angled windshield. Don't know about one that is almost straight up an down like the Voyager. (or feels like it is straight up and down anyway)

Bubba in TX

2011 Voyager "Betty Clunker"

A bad day on a motorcycle is better than a good day in a car

Some people collect T-shirts
I actually ride

Voyager 1700 owners...
WRAP your pipes....
You will be glad you did...

U.S.A.F. Retired

Nye County Nevada
Motor Officer Retired
Blue Knights Texas 43
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode