First ride with gel seats-question - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 05:47 AM Thread Starter

First ride with gel seats-question

Hi Guys,
I have a 2010 Nomad, and I picked up a used set of Kawasaki gel seats off of a fellow member here. They are in excellent condition.
I finally rode the 10 miles to work this morning, and I get the sensation that I am sitting farther forward than with the stock seats. I am up a little higher too, but that part is what I wanted anyway.
So, does any one here have any experience with modification of the foam for the driver's seat? Would it be possible to somehow scoop cut the rear portion without changing the depth of the padding? I do not want to go lower. I am trying to say that I want to go straight back with the curvature, but not deeper.
I wouldn't want to do this unless it came out looking as good as new, just a little farther back.
I am thinking on taking it ot an upholstery shop.
Thanks for any advice, Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 10:37 AM

i think any cutting would require recovering
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 09:34 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
On my gel seat I feel like I can sit further back because the seat feels flatter than the OEM seat. How many miles were on the seat that you bought? If the rider always sat more forward they could have created a pocket.

2010 Vulcan Voyager 1700 ABS, 2007 Vulcan Mean Streak 1600
2012 Concours 1400, 2011 Versys 650, 2012 KLX250S

see my garage for list of accessories

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 05:51 AM Thread Starter

two wheel,
I don't know how many miles are on the seats. they look brand new, and are in perfect condition.
Thanks for the response, Eric
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 03:09 PM

Butt Buffer

I haven't felt the need to put a gel seat on the Voyager yet but on my '07 1500 Classic I put an internal gel seat by the "Butt Buffer" people in it. They charged me $170 for the pad and the installation which he did while I waited. It made all the difference in the world in riding comfort. I can do 3-6 hour rides now only stopping for bladder and gasoline issues.

When he installed it, he measured the existing seat, had me sit on it, marked where I squished it and sculpted the foam out so the gel fit it perfectly. He modified it slightly so my inner thighs fit better at no charge also.

If you can find a dealer/installer in your area, it's definitely worth the money in my opinion!

JB
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 09:58 AM

I had mean city cycles in Maiden NC. On my Vtx do a foam mod. It was awesome. I hear heat issues with gel mods. They tell me that if you park in the sun the seat stays hot for a long time. If I get another foam mod I would be very cautious about letting them know if I wanted my position changed or not. I did 1100+ miles one day on foam.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 10:57 AM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
They tell me that if you park in the sun the seat stays hot for a long time.
Not just gel seats that do that. I keep a towel handy and when I park in the sun I can either put on the custom shade (takes a couple minutes) or just stuff a towel in the front of the front seat and back of the back seat and it never is hot when we get on. Only takes a second to do that....

Bubba in TX

2011 Voyager "Betty Clunker"

A bad day on a motorcycle is better than a good day in a car

Some people collect T-shirts
I actually ride

Voyager 1700 owners...
WRAP your pipes....
You will be glad you did...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
U.S.A.F. Retired

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Nye County Nevada
Motor Officer Retired
Blue Knights Texas 43
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode