Two year Birthday present for the Vaq and I - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Two year Birthday present for the Vaq and I

Last summer I had an idea of how to get better performance out of the V&H 2-1 exhaust on my Vaq. I fabricated a reverse-cone out of sheet metal that I clamped onto the end of the megaphone. I experimented with 2 different outlet diameters and the result was a gain in power and torque thru the entire powerband.
I was very happy, but this was deffinately a primitive fabrication and certainly did not look nice, but the darn thing worked. It also gave the skoot a one-of-a-kind sound that was very mellow in cruise mode yet had a nice bark when I twisted the throttle. One nice thing is it is not loud at all, as compared to the Harleys I hear. But again it just did not fit the looks of the skoot...

Couple months ago I went down to Miami to our metal surplus place and bought a 7" long piece of 5" diameter aluminum bar stock with the intentions on carving out a nice machined from billet end cap. Something that would fit the looks of the skoot. Now although I have been a machinist since the late 70's I don't have very elegant equiptment. An old Bridgeport mill and a small lathe that suits most of what we do here.

Here is the remainder of the chunk I bought after cutting off a 2 1/2" piece...

And the piece after drilling a pilot hole...

Starting the machining process on the rotary table...

And the mounting flange with the finished diameter and depth...

The end cap mounted on the end of the megaphone. Think it's a bit to restrictive?...

Side view...

MORE TO COME...

"TRUE HAPPINESS IS IN THE HEART,NOT IN THE OUTSIDE FIXES!!"
WITH OVER 42 YEARS AS A MOTORCYCLE TECHNICIAN/HI-PO SHOP OWNER I AM A PURVEYOR OF FACT NOT FICTION!
"WE LIVE OUR LIVES IN CHAINS NEVER KNOWING WE HAD THE KEY"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Here is the piece with that unneeded center nose machined out...

This is gonna be the outlet end of the piece with the 2.5" outlet...

And now starting the process of removing excess material from the inside...

The finished main angle...

I decided to add a steeper angle at the very end...

Starting the machining process of removing the extra material on the end with the outside diameter machined to size...

Now here is where I screwed up and negected to document some stages. Due to my small lathe I had to cut multiple angles on the end and while the piece was spinning in the lathe I used a file to smooth out the edges where the angles met, creating a rounded affect. I then used 80 grit sandpaper to achieve a uniform finsh, ending with 320 grit.

Here are the original sheet metal end cap next to the almost finished cap...

Again...MORE TO COME...

WITH OVER 42 YEARS AS A MOTORCYCLE TECHNICIAN/HI-PO SHOP OWNER I AM A PURVEYOR OF FACT NOT FICTION!
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

I did not want a plain look to the exterior so I marked the piece every 60 degrees on the side and mounted it in my vise on the mill. I deviated from my original idea of machining plain ole slots in the sides to wanting to have a "fluted" affect. So I used a 1/4" thick piece of metal under one side of the end cap and machined the slots on the opposite side, creating a "teardrop" affect...

And the finished end cap...

Here is a pic from doing a test fit before I fluted the sides...

Me thinks it looks nicer than that sheet metal piece. It made a bit more power on the dyno than the sheet metal piece and with my riding I did yesterday actually has a deeper and nicer tone. The engine is a tiny bit more responsive with a bit better mpg. Nice fringe benefits for just wanting a nicer looking piece. With my very limited equiptment it took just about 2 days to finish this project.
I dropped it off at the chrome platers today, so hopefully will have it early next week.

I am already missing it!!

I'll post pics when it's back from the platers.
Hope u'all enjoythis thread!!

RACNRAY

Last edited by RACNRAY; 04-22-2013 at 04:10 PM.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 04:02 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Wow, Fantastic Job there Ray, it looks great and know it will even look beter once chromed. Know you like the extra kick it give your bike, too.

Roadie
2011 Vaquero

Amsoil Oil | TLC Bag Liners
Mini Beast Air Horn | Sagebrush Bag Chaps
Power Commander V | Cobra Tri-Oval SlipOns
Thunder Tornado Air Kit | Madcorider Oil Tempstick
Marvellas Trailer Hitch Kit | Rumbling Pride Flag Mounts
Utopia Drivers Backrest | Sagebrush Leather Tank Bib
Michelin Commander II Tires | Classic's Engine/Road Bar Chaps
Wind Vest 10" Smoked Windscreen | Avon Grips with RacNRay's Throttle Mod

4 Wheels Move the Body & 2 Wheels Move the Soul
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 04:25 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
That does look good. So is that exhaust system all the way from the heads? No cats?

Is there a two into one into two full system out there for our bikes? Wondering what I will replace mine with when they rust through from wrapping them.

2010 Vulcan Voyager 1700 ABS, 2007 Vulcan Mean Streak 1600
2012 Concours 1400, 2011 Versys 650, 2012 KLX250S

see my garage for list of accessories
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
That does look good. So is that exhaust system all the way from the heads? No cats?

Is there a two into one into two full system out there for our bikes? Wondering what I will replace mine with when they rust through from wrapping them.
That is V&H's full system called the Pro Pipe that fits the Voyager/Vaquero/Nomad models. No cats.

The tubing used in our stock exhaust systems are stainless steel. Your pipes will never rust out. I even had the mild steel Yosh system wrapped on my ole ZX11 for many years with no rust at all.

I have been wrapping exhaust systems since 1988, prolly wrapped a few hundred systems and never had rust or corrosion issues. It's an old wives tail!

RACNRAY

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 06:53 PM

This attention to detail, is the reason I brang my bike to you for service, tire mount, throttle mod,etc,etc,etc. Keep up the good work Ray and Mark you guys are a great value to the motorcycle community. Frank (Ft Worth).

2009 Vulcan Classic LT Green
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Racn Rays throttle mod
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 08:08 PM

Must admit looks pretty good but man thats a lot of work.But now that you have gone to that extent ,why don,t you polish it up like chrome.Not hard to do.Sand it out to 2000grit and use some compound to finish it.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 08:32 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Wow Ray that looks great! Looking forward to pics when it comes back from the chromers.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 10:31 PM

Garage
Hey RACNRAY . . . Here's a Question . .

My question is . . .

I love the Pro Pipe or any 2 into 1 for that matter. What is so different about the Vaq /Nomad / Voyager group and the Classic that this pipe will not go on my Classic?? Is it just a bracket . . .What the heck is it that will not allow this pipe to fit on my CLassic!?

Your help and knowledge is genuinely appreciated!

Karatemoto!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACNRAY View Post
That is V&H's full system called the Pro Pipe that fits the Voyager/Vaquero/Nomad models. No cats.

The tubing used in our stock exhaust systems are stainless steel. Your pipes will never rust out. I even had the mild steel Yosh system wrapped on my ole ZX11 for many years with no rust at all.

I have been wrapping exhaust systems since 1988, prolly wrapped a few hundred systems and never had rust or corrosion issues. It's an old wives tail!

RACNRAY

KARATEMOTO!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode