My Classic Is Coming Into Focus . . - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

Garage
My Classic Is Coming Into Focus . .

I can be long winded, but I'll try to be concise! I bought my Classic in February after selling my M109. I wanted to get something that was a little more laid back and something I could put miles on. The M109 was comfortable enough, but the windshield choices out there are not great, and either suck . . or diminish the cool factor immensely. Miss the hyper-speed setting though!

I bought my '09 with barely 800 miles on it, if you can believe that. Had a light bar, case guards and saddlebags.

I just fitted the Custom World backrest, Cut down the Ghost Brackets so it all fits nice and precise, and am now going to notch the backrest so I can merey loosen the bolts and slide it off. That will be this week I hope. It's on now, but I like the convertible aspect of accessories.

I then went to work on the front end. I stripped the fork lowers, removed the triple trees and painted them a low gloss black which mimics powder coating well in my opinion. Paint was baked on in all cases.

I then added Chrome World front wind deflectors and attached them by using the lower holes and tapping the triple tree and rubber mounted the upper portion there. It looks clean, factory and can be left on with or without a windshield as the upper mount was originally designed to tie into a windshield bracket.

This week, I added my Batwing fairing. And, If I wasn't sure about the looks of the bike before, The Batwing pulled it together for me. I run Aux. lights and JJ helped a ton in my deciding whether they would work or not. They definitely do. Thanks again JJ.

Yesterday, I popped two baffles out of the exhaust as a "do for now" measure and while it isn't throaty enough for me yet, it helped. I'm going to ride this season and get some miles on the bike before I get into the whole intake/exhaust controller aspect . . (I think!!!!)

In a week or so, My Mustang Daytripper saddle will be here to further the journey a little more.

Here some pics. . . .

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2019.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	26113

Name:	IMG_2030.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	26129

Name:	IMG_2038.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	26121

KARATEMOTO!

Last edited by KarateMoto; 04-21-2013 at 10:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 09:17 AM
Top Contributor

Bikes looking sharp! One good thing about a black bike is you can add goodies and in most cases no paint required. That seat is gonna make a big difference!

2012 GREEN/BLACK VAQUERO

Kawi Quick release backrest
Kawi Passanger floorboards
Kawi Luggage rack
Klockwerks 9" windshield
Mustang Seat
Mustang pass backrest pad
Ipod adapter kit/Ipod
Black ISO Grip
Offset ISO highway pegs
PC5 W/ignition
Freedom Performance True Dual Exhaust
Altrimax HP 195/55/16 car tire.
Leather saddlebag chaps
Thunder mfg Tornado air intake
Thunder mfg Throttle Body Gasket
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Getting there . .

You are right about that. The Batwing looks great even though it doesn't have the fleck character the factory paint does. if it gets scratched over time, I'm just going to have it dipped I think.

The stock saddle is OK soft, but OK. It sticks up where it should be a little bucket and for me and I'd guess, most . . it's right at the tailbone. I think while it's off, I might play with the foam and scoop it a bit. We'll see.

Ultimately, I want a Vacquero, but used ones are hard to find . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehard rider View Post
Bikes looking sharp! One good thing about a black bike is you can add goodies and in most cases no paint required. That seat is gonna make a big difference!

KARATEMOTO!

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 12:34 PM

Looks good for sure but I am biased lol. I have a 09 Classic with similar mods. I just did the Ray throttle mod with black avon grips turnkey from Ray and great bang for the buck.

Current stable:
2009 VN 1700 Classic
2001 Kaw ZX12R
1983 Suzuki GS 1100E
1986 Goldwing 1200 Interstate
1984 Harley FLHT--rat glide
past rides:
1974 XR75
77 CB 550K
73 CB750
81 LTD 1000
83 XJ 750
83 VIRAGO 750
78 XS 1100
01 CBR 600
93 CBR 900R
01 1100 SHADOW
93 KATANA 600
79 KAW 750 TWIN
05 250 KTM
86 XL 600
plus many more
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Cool. I noticed you had a GS .. funny . . I had a 1979 GS1000E that I resto-modded . . I did it in British racing green with charcoal tank panels, bikini fairing, Yoshi 4 into 1 with a Suzuki Bandit 1200 Stainless canister. I took it to the frame and rebuilt it. I had to as the stator/rectifier went and by that time it was too late. I called it "Total Recall". It looked factory, but left people scratching their heads, "hmmm looks familiar", but the exhaust threw them. All the tank and side cover badges were restored as well. It was a fun project. I sold it and bought my first Vulcan a 1500D and it started all over . . .

How long did it take you to get the grips . . and what the heck does he do to them? What are you running for exhaust? Us Classic guys have to stick together . . they are a little black sheepish . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by figman View Post
Looks good for sure but I am biased lol. I have a 09 Classic with similar mods. I just did the Ray throttle mod with black avon grips turnkey from Ray and great bang for the buck.

KARATEMOTO!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 01:40 PM

Can't have one if you can't spell it.

BigA80

2011 Red Vaquero
iPod Adapter / TLC bag liners / KQR luggage rack + KQR mount kit / Kuryakyn: Hwy Pegs w/extensions -ISO grips w/mod -Bar end helmet locks / Thunder stk cover air kit/ PCV / Mustang seat w/backrest / V&H slash cut slip ons / Wrapped exhaust/ Med. tinted Clearview windshield

>2006 Suzuki Boulavard C50
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 01:46 PM

Garage
SWEET! Those lowers are awesome. Now you really made me want a light bar!

I'm sure you will love the new seat. I realize now why some people say it moves you up, while others say it moves you back...It is just totally different, like riding a different bike.

Lookin good!

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Too Funny . .

I guess if I owned one . . I wouldn't have to spell it anymore . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigA80 View Post
Can't have one if you can't spell it.

KARATEMOTO!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 02:50 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2016 Vaquero and 2008 900 Custom that's for sale.
Displacement/CC's: 1700 and 900
Color: White Vaquero and Black Custom
Damn, now I want a 1700 Classic or VAQUERO! I like them short, fat and long......!
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 04:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to Vulcan Hammer Send a message via Skype™ to Vulcan Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarateMoto View Post

Yesterday, I popped two baffles out of the exhaust as a "do for now" measure and while it isn't throaty enough for me yet, it helped. I'm going to ride this season and get some miles on the bike before I get into the whole intake/exhaust controller aspect . . (I think!!!!)
Did you remove the back two centre plates from each of the mufflers or just the one from each?

I just removed two from each...stopped before hitting the catalytic material, and now I have the dreaded "Chirp" on decel that at least one other forum member mentioned experiencing. It's a high pitched noise when I let off on the throttle.

Now I have literally ruined a perfectly good set of Classic Mufflers!

Other than the "Chirp" they actually sound pretty good...maybe it is just peculiar to doing the hole-saw mod on the Classic Mufflers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode