Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Any 1-1/4" Hole Saw Baffle Mod Regrets?

9K views 25 replies 15 participants last post by  fysl 
#1 ·
Well, I have the Bi-Metal 1-1/4" Hole Saw and mandrel extensions, but I'm not sure now that I have the nerve to irreparably modify a perfectly good set of 1700 Classic Mufflers.

I was thinking of just drilling out the back two centre plates in each muffler to see how it would sound, but there is no going back once committed.

Does anyone who has done the hole saw mod have any regrets? Or, did it just give you the incentive to buy new Slip-Ons?

I've read comments that the mod gives a deeper, but not necessarily much louder tone, which is what I am after.

However, there have been a few bad reports after the mod, such as a whistling sound on decel, or a droning, constant roar at cruising speed.

What have you to say in response? Thanks in advance!

#5 ·
Are you saying that your exhaust system got better on it's own (likely due to mellowing from carbon deposits) without your doing any mods?

Or, that you did the hole saw mod at 1000 miles, and it has also mellowed/improved with time.

Thanks in advance for clarifying...

#8 ·
Because I did not want to go whole hog on the muffler mod, I just drilled three 3/8" holes through the outer cover and first baffle plate...this was after knocking out on of the inner baffle plates. The volume increased a bit, and got a lot more rumbly. Not nearly as good as a full baffle removal, and much less expensive as a exhaust replacement.

However I probably would just go with a full exhaust replacement if doing anything further.

#9 ·
Hammer,

I chose to skip the debaffle and just go with the slip-ons.

I got the tri-ovals because I really like the look and they are supposed to be 'mellower' and not as loud as other aftermarket options.

They have been on for a week now; and they are really starting to grow on me. The tri-ovals plus the PCV improved the mileage, power and the bike runs cooler now.

But, they are quite a bit louder than stock pipes.

If you aren't looking for LOUD; then I would try the different stages of debaffle first. Of course, that is just my opinion and YMMV.

Scott

#10 ·
Did the 1" 1/4 hole saw. it seemed fine but i could not leave it a lone. so I went back with 1 1/2 hole saw and tryed to remove the baffle compltly. after i had made a mess of the thing i could not get the bafffle out. now i have cobra 4" slip ons. I put muffler packing in side to bring the harshness down and i be happy

#14 · (Edited)
Literally ruined my Classic Mufflers!!!

I knew that I should have left well enough alone!!!

I literally ruined a good set of Classic Mufflers doing the 1-1/4" hole saw mod.

After removing the back two central baffle plates on each muffler I now have a "Chirping" sound on decel that at least one other forum member warned about.
Maybe it is just peculiar to the Classic Mufflers, as no-one else warned about this problem.

When I let off on the throttle, I now get an unpleasant high pitched tone like Chirping or Whistling. Other than that, the overall tone very much improved and the mufflers sound much better on acceleration.

Now I am either going to have to find a way to get 1-1/4" plugs into the central pipe just before the catalytics or order new pipes! D@#%!!!

#15 ·
I wish I would have seen your thread sooner. I did my VV and got the same damn chirping noise. Aggravated me to the point that I did what I should have in the first place - bought some V&H slip ons.

I loved the sound and performance gain on my 1600. Hated it on the 1700. Even discounting the hateful chirping, it didn't sound half as deep and rich as the 1600 after de-baffle. The 1700 sounded tinny.

It was probably my thread that you read about the chirping.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#17 ·
I did the same thing to my vaquero and had no chirpping sound made pipes sound better deeper not like a singer. Had no problems up to the time I put V&H on my bike I liked the sound of the drilled pipes. Put the thunder air kit on and a PCV and been happy sence the air leak was fixed.

#23 ·
Fixed the Chirp!

Well, 10 hours of experimentation and $60 wasted at Home Depot finally resulted in curing the CHIRP from the 1-1/4" hole saw baffle mod.

Ultimately a pair of 1-1/2" Perforated Stainless Steel Sink Strainers do the trick. They just require a mallet to seat them into the end of the pipe. I painted them black with high temp grille paint so they don't stand out like a shiny-sore-thumb.

Now, to see if they stay in place with some spirited driving.

I still have a slightly louder and deeper tone...more of a BRAPPP on acceleration...but no more CHIRP on decel or when letting off the throttle.

If I need it a little louder I can always drill out the perforations a little more, and if the CHIRP returns from too much drilling, I can always get two more strainers for $4.00.

#25 ·
Also, did you guys remove the baffles on the engine side of the Cats ? Thats where the big gains are achieved.
Especially the one on the right pipe, i didnt remove the one on the left because you have to cut the pipe but i will do that soon.
I dont have any strange sounds being emitted from the pipes, mines a 2010 model.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.