Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

No start

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  3W-lonerider 
#1 ·
Ok folks,
2011 Vaquero, starts just fine in neutral, ride wherever you want.
However if it is in 1st gear, side stand up, clutch in all it does is flash an FI light. I can start in neutral, put it in gear and immediately the engine dies if the side stand is lowered. I have check the clutch switches, kill switch, and side stand switch all with an ohm meter and everything looks good there. Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
if your putting it in gear and then dropping the side stand the engine is gonna die, its supposed to, to keep you from riding away with the stand down.
if its not starting in gear with the stand up and the clutch pulled in and you checked the clutch switch, i'm still suspecting the clutch switch circuit, try pulling both wires off the back of the clutch switch. jump them across and see if it starts in gear.

#5 · (Edited)
On my Nomad (should be similar or same as Vaquero) there are only 2 wires going to the clutch switch (called a starter lockout switch by Kaw) and located at the clutch lever. There is also a 2-wire connector going to the cruise control sensor switch directly below the clutch switch. These might be what you think are 2 sets of clutch wires. Mine makes 2 audible clicks when pulling the clutch in. The first click is the cc sensor. The second click doesn't occur until the clutch is just about fully pulled in and is very faint. That's the clutch switch. Try starting with the clutch switch wires disconnected, and then when jumped. I don't know if the circuit is being opened or completed when you pull the clutch in. Make sure your clutch is pulled in so the bike doesn't take off on you!!!

I agree with 3w-lonerider and his assessment it's probably got to do with the clutch switch or circuit. You can start in gear as long as the clutch is pulled in and the side stand is up, and I have done this many, many times. The bike will not start nor run with the side stand down unless you're in neutral. Also, make sure your engine stop switch is in the run position.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.