Power loss issue (fuel related) - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2012 Kawasaki Vulcan LT
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Burgendy / cream
Garage
Question Power loss issue (fuel related)

Went for a road trip Sunday, I filled up the tank before I left. Got about 10 minutes into my two hour trip and I noticed that my bike was running a little rougher than usual and sounded like it had a bad miss. The MPG's also started to drop very quickly. I made it to my destination and let the bike set over night. The next day I started it up and let it idle for about 10 minutes and it still sounded like it has a misfire. The exhaust pipe on the front cylinder was warm to touch, not hot like the rear pipe on the rear cylinder. I tore it down and checked the plugs and wire, it still had good spark coming from the plugs. Now I am thinking it's a fuel issue. I put the bike back together and it started running normal, like it should. I went and got some injector cleaner and put in and filled the tank up and went on a 50 mile ride and it ran great the entire time. So I was then thinking bad gas. I let the bike set for 4 hours and got back on to take the two hour trip back home. I got about 10 minuets down the road and it started running rough again. Bad enough that it when through an entire tank of gas in less than 100 miles, so I had to fill up again. It ran rough the entire trip back home. When I got home I shut it off long enough for me to get off and open my garage door. I got back on and fired it up and it started running normal again. While driving i could feel the bike surge, like it was trying to get a little fuel to the cylinder and then back to nothing.

I am thinking that I did get some bad gas but how long will it take to get it all ran through, I ran the tank to almost empty before I filled it up on my way home. Whats the best way to flush the system of the bad gas? Is it also possible that I have an injector going bad and the gas was fine?

2014 Vulcan Voyager 1700 ABS 13,000ish miles

Last edited by forgiven143; 09-03-2019 at 09:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 12:54 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Vaquero ABS
Displacement/CC's: 1700 cc
Color: Candy Cardinal Red
Garage
Sticking to the simple things first, I would make sure you have solid connections at the injectors and ground. I don't have access to my shop manual at the moment, but maybe someone will chime in with the correct method of testing injectors??
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 03:21 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2018 Vulcan s
Displacement/CC's: 650
Color: black
Read a lot about bad GAS on these forums,.its some thing we Don't get here in the UK

it has happened a very few times, buts it extremely rare any where here ,
so if my bike started playing up I would not check the gas ,I would be looking at other things

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 06:27 PM
DKC

Year/Make/Model: 2008 en500c
Displacement/CC's: 500
Color: Black
Garage
Unless I misread your post, you've fueled up at more than one location, and the problem still hasn't gone away?

I'd be looking at that front cylinder's injector and spark systems.

Only two things I know of that could cause the symptoms you are describing that results from "bad" fuel... Water in the fuel or the wrong fuel in the station's tanks (partially diesel or a similar issue). Both are very rare. But... those are both eliminated by the fact that one cylinder runs fine and one doesn't. If it was truly fuel related, it would affect both cylinders, generally at the same time (probable shutoff type situation). One cylinder cutting out will cause the bike to run rough and drink more fuel than you think.

Possible causes to investigate: Electrical connections (including spark plug wire at both ends), partially clogged injector, coil (weak spark), spark plugs (fouling). This isn't a complete list, but it's a good place to start.

The admin are proposing major changes to our forum. Please take a moment and look them over and cast your vote here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode