Lifter sticking at 340 miles - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Lifter sticking at 340 miles

I just bought a 2018 Vaquero and have put about 340 miles on it. It now emits a sound similar to a stuck lifter. Is this common before the 600 mile service?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 03:22 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2015 Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700cc
Color: metalic carbon grey
Garage
is the lifter noise with engine warmed up or cold started? the only time my lifters make any noise is when the engine is first started after sitting all winter. then after about 10 minutes of ideling the lifters quiet right down. I now have 34th. klms on my vaquero and no valve noise even if the bike sits for a few weeks. I believe in 2011-2014 there were a few reports of engines with lifter noise but in 2015 kawi enlarged the oil galleries going to the upper valve train to address this issue.this was told to me by the mechanic at my local kawi dealer. your bike is still new with warranty. take it back to the dealer and let them look and listen to it.

2015 vaquero ABS SE {carbon grey}
12in. windshield
k&n air filter
freedom performance true duals
ivans ecu flash
kuryakin longhorn cruise pegs
sagebrush saddlebag chaps
oem aux lights
grasshoper driver backrest
black isso grips
chucksters risers
isso grip helmet locks
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 06:41 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2010 NOMAD
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Black/titanium
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rozie View Post
is the lifter noise with engine warmed up or cold started? the only time my lifters make any noise is when the engine is first started after sitting all winter. then after about 10 minutes of ideling the lifters quiet right down. I now have 34th. klms on my vaquero and no valve noise even if the bike sits for a few weeks. I believe in 2011-2014 there were a few reports of engines with lifter noise but in 2015 kawi enlarged the oil galleries going to the upper valve train to address this issue.this was told to me by the mechanic at my local kawi dealer. your bike is still new with warranty. take it back to the dealer and let them look and listen to it.
Agree w rozie,lifter tap common on cold start up but should clear up after couple minutes,I switched to full synth after second oil change and rarely hear the lifters on start up.Would take it to the dealer for check if lifter tap is constant

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

I did 3 or 4 cold starts today leaving it running until warmed up. After the last one no more lifter noise. Probably just something to do with new engine break in. Will most likely go to full synthetic after first oil change.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 08:48 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
I get lifter noise occasionally for about 30 seconds or so since I bought it the few times it sits for over a week. But during the first couple hundred miles it startes making a noise like the timing chain was coming loose, but then it stopped after about 20 miles. I guessed it was the auto adjuster trying to finds a happy place as it has not done it again in over 40k miles.

Bubba in TX

2011 Voyager "Betty Clunker"

A bad day on a motorcycle is better than a good day in a car

Some people collect T-shirts
I actually ride

Voyager 1700 owners...
WRAP your pipes....
You will be glad you did...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
U.S.A.F. Retired

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Nye County Nevada
Motor Officer Retired
Blue Knights Texas 43
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode