Gear indicator - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Vulacan Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Red/Gray
Garage
Gear indicator

Okay, all you Voyager Mechanical Gurus, and I mean that with the utmost respect! I'm having a problem that is getting worse and need to know if anyone else has had this problem and what you did to fix it. My gear indicator display works. All lights come on when I turn the key on. After the bike runs for a bit and warms up, 3 to 5 miles, I start losing gear numbers on the display. It was just the 3rd gear indicator, then the fifth gear indicator stopped. Now, I lose 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and OD, but 4th, and 2nd occasionally come back on! I'm presuming it is a gear indicator sensor, if there is such a thing, but that is a wild guess. If the bike cools down, all gear indicators work again for a few minutes. I am completely baffled, which does not take much!

Any ideas? I have not taken it to Kawasaki yet, as I wanted a bit of input first. Thanks in advance oh wise gurus!

Oh yeah, it's a 2014 Voyager with 21,200 miles on it.

They call me Pop Pop because I'm too cool to be called grandfather!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Vulacan Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Red/Gray
Garage
Wow! I am getting senile! I just saw that I had posted something like this back in February, when I first started having the problem. Oh well, thanks for the info back in February, I guess I'm losing it a bit!

They call me Pop Pop because I'm too cool to be called grandfather!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 03:43 PM

Garage
I had a problem like this on my Suzuki and honda and for both there is a switch at the transmission both times all I had to do is take out and clean, both worked like a gas guage with the resistance of the curcit determining which gear you were in, never worked on a Kawasaki but if you have a manual trace the leads from display to shifter or trans.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 09:34 PM

What did you use to clean it? Contact cleaner? My bike has been doing that for about 6 months. Doesn't bother me until I use cruise control. Cruise control cuts off because the gear position fluctuates.

Last edited by IDONTWANTO; 08-07-2019 at 09:40 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 01:01 AM
Peg
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDONTWANTO View Post
What did you use to clean it? Contact cleaner? My bike has been doing that for about 6 months. Doesn't bother me until I use cruise control. Cruise control cuts off because the gear position fluctuates.
I'm not sure that advice for either a Honda or a Suzuki will help you much... But if you search this forum a little, maybe "gear indicator" or similar, you'll find it's a recurring issue. It won't affect cruise control unless it shows 2nd gear or less.

Paul (Peg) Elliott
New Plymouth, NZ. '10 Voyager 1700
'02 Nomad 1500(sold) '97 VN800B (sold)
2 Honda's, 2 Suzuki's, 1 Yamaha (all dead)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 11:06 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mine does the same thing and has been doing it for a while. My cruise will not work unless 5 or 6 are showing.

2013 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Voyager
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode