Bike is running H O T! - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Adam Sternberg
  • 1 Post By Sabre-t

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Bike is running H O T!

I recently purchased a 2012 Voyager and when the outside temperatures were in the 80s I thought it was running a bit warm, with the temperature gauge about 3/4 up. Now that we're up well over 100 degrees here in Vegas, the bike is overheating on a regular basis. On the highway it's not too bad but as soon as I exit and get to a light, bike redlines. In stop-and-go traffic in anything over 90 degrees outside, the temp gauge is in the red in less than 30 minutes.

I don't see any leaks but the reservoir tank was about a 1/2 quart low so I topped it off with Kawasaki coolant. The air filter was in HORRIBLE condition and my bet it's been years since the previous owner replaced or cleaned it. I put a new one of those in too. Bike is running a tiny bit better but last night on a ride through town, it got into the red again. I don't really have time or inclination to flush the fluids, chase down a thermostat, etc., so I'll probably take it to the dealer and have them do a diagnostic on all this but do these bikes just run this hot? I heard somewhere that closing the fairing vents helps to some degree although I'm skeptical on that.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 01:38 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: (SOLD) Kawasaki Vulcan S [Harley-Davidson FLXTRS Road Glide Special]
Displacement/CC's: 107 (1746cc)
Color: Bonneville Salt Pearl
Check to make sure the thermostat is operational, the upper hose will be hot when thermostat is open; based on the neglect to the air cleaner, the water channels are most likely in need of flushing as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 01:39 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2000 Nomad 1500 fi
Displacement/CC's: 1500
Color: Purplish Black Mica
Okay, question, is your fan coming on prior to you engine light coming on ???

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 02:46 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2010 Kawasaki Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Red/Black
Garage
As the others said, check the thermostat/fan to make sure they are opening/coming on.

Make sure the radiator cap is holding pressure and that the hoses have not gotten soft. The system has to maintain a certain pressure to achieve optimal cooling.

Also, if it is a 2012 and the previous owner did not even bother with the air filter, it is a virtual certainty that the coolant has never been changed. I would recommend a flush and coolant change. It might also be wise to change the hoses and o-rings and maybe the radiator cap if they have never been changed and it has been running hot so much. I use Royal Purple Purple Cooling System Flush (I do not recommend using vinegar) and a good OAT coolant. I use O'Reilly's 50/50 Universal Coolant (not the DexCool one). I also add Purple Ice. I'm not sure it helps, but it won't hurt.

Sounds like you don't have an FI controller or Ivan's flash of the ECU. Ivan's is the most popular recommendation now. It will add gas which will cool down the beast a bit, too. I got a Dobeck EJK before I heard of Ivan's flash and I am happy with it, but would probably do the flash instead if I did not already have the EJK.

Installed:
RAM mount for TomTom Rider 400 (with anti theft module)
6000k LED Headlight & Spots; Kisan Headlight Modulator (works with LEDs),
__Brake Light Modulator, LED License Plate Holder
Longer Kickstand
Dobeck EJK 3.0
Lucky Mirror Extenders
Misc. RAM Mounts for Cup Holder, SPOT, Phone, etc.
Chuckster BAK, Trailer Hitch and Cooler Rack
Wiring for Trailer
Ray's Throttle Mod
Things to do:
Drilling Baffle Plates (Maybe)
Paint HF Tag Along Trailer to Match Bike

LET'S RIDE
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 03:00 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2018 Indian Roadmaster
Displacement/CC's: 111 cui
Color: polished bronze over thunder black with silver pinstripe
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Sternberg View Post
....... but do these bikes just run this hot? I heard somewhere that closing the fairing vents helps to some degree although I'm skeptical on that.

Any thoughts?
YES ! These bikes run that hot. No idiot light on the Voyager, only the gauge. In hot weather it is normal to have it 3/4 up on it. If the fan kicks in and the needle drops a bit, all is good.

Ivan's flash will help.

Dont know, if the 2012 already had the Kawi "air managemant system" with the fan under the seat to blow the hot air from the rear exhaust pipe down on the left below the passenger floorboard.

Cu,
Sven

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb." - Benjamin Franklin

Harley is cult, Victory is cool, but INDIAN is legend !

MY LIFE - MY RULES !
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 08:31 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2016 Kawasaki Voyager
Color: MetalicBlackk/Silver
Garage
Yep everything everybody has said is correct. When your in hot weather and bike is stock ridding in stop and go traffic the temp gauge will be about 1 tick mark from the red. If you are actually in the red then you need to trouble shoot. If not as Sabre-t said I would flush the coolant system. Myself I use Ice coolant in mine.
With the Ice, Ivan ECU Flash my bike runs just under 2 tick marks from red in stop and go traffic in the hot and muggy state of Louisiana

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 12:18 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2012 Vulcan Voyager
Color: Pearl White/ Beige
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoliton Man View Post
YES ! These bikes run that hot. No idiot light on the Voyager, only the gauge. In hot weather it is normal to have it 3/4 up on it. If the fan kicks in and the needle drops a bit, all is good.

Ivan's flash will help.

Dont know, if the 2012 already had the Kawi "air managemant system" with the fan under the seat to blow the hot air from the rear exhaust pipe down on the left below the passenger floorboard.

Cu,
Sven
My 2012 has the KAMS system.

2012 1700 Voyager
Cobra Slip Ons
Kuryakyn Grips
Kuryakyn Highway Pegs
Klock Werks Windshield
Mustang Seat with Driver Backrest
Kenwood Stereo
Soundstream Amp
Engineered adapters with 6-1/2"Polk Audio Front Speakers
Kawasaki Rear Speaker Pods with Polk Audio 5-1/4" Speakers
Ivan's Flash
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 08:40 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2016 Voyager 1700 ABS
Color: Black-Silver
Send a message via AIM to auwing1978 Send a message via MSN to auwing1978
Def would change out the coolant and Ivanizing will cool it down some. It has to be a super hot day for the temp gauge to get much beyond a couple of clicks past middle....and stop and go will def accentuate that. I installed this heat deflector two riding seasons ago......they are not a cure for the heat but they help. Highway pegs and Duluth Trading Co. pants let you get your legs away from the engine. I buy the theory (after trying it out in hot MT-WY trip) that keeping the air vents closed on hot days actually keeps it cooler down there. Ivanizing will give you a whole different performing bike in addition to cooling it down some. Welcome and good luck! https://www.ebay.com/itm/32342340233...oYw0-GuDVC2RwY

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. HST
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

UPDATE. I took the bike into the dealer and while it was there being looked at, the Kawasaki rep just happened to stop by and take a look. His analysis is, "These bikes just run hot" and to not panic if the needle goes a little into the red. Still though, they did a full diagnostic. Thermostat and cap were both fine. The coolant though looked terrible and the previous owner probably never changed it. They did a full coolant flush and now the bike is running WAAAAAY better.
Demoliton Man likes this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 02:53 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2010 Kawasaki Voyager
Color: Red/Black
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Sternberg View Post
UPDATE. I took the bike into the dealer and while it was there being looked at, the Kawasaki rep just happened to stop by and take a look. His analysis is, "These bikes just run hot" and to not panic if the needle goes a little into the red. Still though, they did a full diagnostic. Thermostat and cap were both fine. The coolant though looked terrible and the previous owner probably never changed it. They did a full coolant flush and now the bike is running WAAAAAY better.
It's amazing what a flush and new coolant will do, isn't it? Kawasaki recommends changing it every three years or 22,500 miles for the Voyager (I don't know about other models). I change mine every two years and flush on alternate coolant changes.
CarGuy likes this.

Installed:
RAM mount for TomTom Rider 400 (with anti theft module)
6000k LED Headlight & Spots; Kisan Headlight Modulator (works with LEDs),
__Brake Light Modulator, LED License Plate Holder
Longer Kickstand
Dobeck EJK 3.0
Lucky Mirror Extenders
Misc. RAM Mounts for Cup Holder, SPOT, Phone, etc.
Chuckster BAK, Trailer Hitch and Cooler Rack
Wiring for Trailer
Ray's Throttle Mod
Things to do:
Drilling Baffle Plates (Maybe)
Paint HF Tag Along Trailer to Match Bike

LET'S RIDE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode