New bike - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

New bike

I just traded in my Vulcan 900 for a Voyager 1700. I have done a lot of research on bluetooth so I can play music from my phone. I would like to find a way instead of buying the ipod kit and the cool stream carpro reciever. I'd just like to be able to play my Amazon music play list and use the volume control on the handle bars. Can anyone chime in and tell me what you use. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 06:24 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2012 Vulcan Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Pearl White/ Beige
Garage
you can get a bluetooth FM transmitter from Amazon

2012 1700 Voyager
Cobra Slip Ons
Kuryakyn Grips
Kuryakyn Highway Pegs
Klock Werks Windshield
Mustang Seat with Driver Backrest
Kenwood Stereo
Soundstream Amp
Engineered adapters with 6-1/2"Polk Audio Front Speakers
Kawasaki Rear Speaker Pods with Polk Audio 5-1/4" Speakers
Ivan's Flash
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 01:03 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2013 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Displacement/CC's: 903
Color: Black/White
Hi Aceroc,

How do you find the 1700 compared to the 900? I have a 900 as well and I am thinking of selling it and buying the 1700. But I still have doubts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 10:14 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silveralex View Post
Hi Aceroc,

How do you find the 1700 compared to the 900? I have a 900 as well and I am thinking of selling it and buying the 1700. But I still have doubts.
Don't know about him, but I went from a 900 Classic LT to the 1700. The 1700 is a lot bigger, taller, heavier, etc. It has a lot more power. It is not as nimble, although for a big heavy bike it is pretty easy to ride. It's a lot more stable on the highways around the big trucks. The wind doesn't blow you around as badly. In my opinion, if you ride the highways a lot the 1700 is the best. If you ride in town, stop and go traffic, back roads, and places where the power and stability don't come in to play as much, the 900 is a better choice. The main reason I traded is I was always trying to keep up with my friends riding Ultra Classics, Street Glides, etc. and the 900 seemed like it was struggling to do it.

2012 1700 Voyager
Cobra Slip Ons
Kuryakyn Grips
Kuryakyn Highway Pegs
Klock Werks Windshield
Kenwood Stereo
Soundstream Amp
Ivan's Flash
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 11:33 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Vaquero ABS
Displacement/CC's: 1700 cc
Color: Candy Cardinal Red
Garage
Quote:
Hi Aceroc,

I drove a 900 Custom for 10 years before buying my 1700 Vaquero in 2017. Here's my take:

Size: The biggest difference is size seems to be seat height. I have a 33" inseam and I have trouble flat footing this bike. On the 900 I could flat foot with my knees still bent. Both bikes have the Mustang Wide Vintage Touring seat and although I can't measure it, it feels like 3 or 4 inch difference. Both bikes are roomy, but I liked the foot position on the Custom better. Well, it took getting used to on the Vaq.

Weight: The Vaq is about 200 lbs heavier than the 900, but I mostly feel it when I'm pulling it up off the side stand. On the road it doesn't feel that heavy. That said, I have to be careful where I park. Pushing 800+ lbs around a parking spot can take some effort. Backing up a grade is really tough, especially if there's loose sand or gravel on the road.

Ride: The extra 200 lbs along with air adjustable shocks makes for a smoother ride, in particular at highway speeds. Unlike others, I find that the large fairing causes more issues with air wash and cross winds. I road my 900 with a windshield and later with a Memphis Bat Wing. I get pushed side to side more on the Vaq than I did on the 900, but that was a Custom so maybe the fork's rake had something to do with that.

Performance: NOTE: both bike are mechanically bone stock. The only aftermarket accessories were for style and comfort. I found the 900 to be quicker off the line, although that may be me being hesitant to open up the throttle in first gear. I'm not a tire smoker! I found the 900 to have decent acceleration up to about 75, then you could coax her up to 105 but you didn't get there in a flash. The Vaq's 6 speed transmission took some getting used to. 5th and 6th are both over-drive. It takes some discipline to stop shifting into 6th below 60 mph. If you try to use 6th gear around town, you'll never stop shifting. Up, down, up, down. I have to force myself to stay in 5th. Above 60 you can stay in 6th gear all day long unless you want to smoke somebody or climb a steep grade with a passenger.
But on the highway, wow!. I was on US 15 in Pennsylvania last year and I pulled out to pass a tanker. I was doing 75 in 6th gear. I didn't downshift, I just pulled out and rolled on the throttle. I glanced at the speedo as I pulled back into my lane and I was doing 115 and the needle was still sweeping to the right! I never felt it. The ride was that smooth and the air around me so still I thought I was doing maybe 90.

Mileage and Range: The 900 is all over this one. Over the 45k miles I put on my Custom I got between 48 and 52 mpg (indicated). With a 5.2 gal tank that's 250 miles before you have to get off and push. The furthest I ever took it was 252 miles and the pump said I put in 5.3 gallons. The Vaq has the same size tank, but I'm lucky if I get 40 mpg. I've stopped checking but the last couple of tanks I checked I was in 38 range. When I planned my trip to Baltimore last year I mapped out gas stops at 175 mile intervals but I don't think I've ever had to put more than 4 gallons in at once. Also, the 900 loves 87 Octane. I don't know why (both bikes run at the same compression and temp) but the Vaq requires 90+ and seems to run best and get the best mileage on 93 Octane I get at Kwikfill.

I really wish could afford 2 bikes. I love my Vaquero, but I do miss the 900. There were a lot of things to love about that bike, but Hell, I kept it in the family. My son owns it now.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.
longbeachgary and March411 like this.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Pretty much what everyone has said already. The 900 was more nimble through town but I struggled to keep up with friends with harleys and Indians. I also didn't feel comfortable on the interstate with the 900. The 1700 is heavier so it feels more stable on the interstate and love the cruise control. I also wish I could afford two bikes cause I would like too have the 900 around town use. Im glad I upgraded cause I love the bike and my wife loves it to, a lot more comfortable for us both.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 11:26 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2016 KAW VN900CGF
Displacement/CC's: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJB View Post
I drove a 900 Custom for 10 years before buying my 1700 Vaquero in 2017. Here's my take:

Size: The biggest difference is size seems to be seat height. I have a 33" inseam and I have trouble flat footing this bike. On the 900 I could flat foot with my knees still bent. Both bikes have the Mustang Wide Vintage Touring seat and although I can't measure it, it feels like 3 or 4 inch difference. Both bikes are roomy, but I liked the foot position on the Custom better. Well, it took getting used to on the Vaq.

Weight: The Vaq is about 200 lbs heavier than the 900, but I mostly feel it when I'm pulling it up off the side stand. On the road it doesn't feel that heavy. That said, I have to be careful where I park. Pushing 800+ lbs around a parking spot can take some effort. Backing up a grade is really tough, especially if there's loose sand or gravel on the road.

Ride: The extra 200 lbs along with air adjustable shocks makes for a smoother ride, in particular at highway speeds. Unlike others, I find that the large fairing causes more issues with air wash and cross winds. I road my 900 with a windshield and later with a Memphis Bat Wing. I get pushed side to side more on the Vaq than I did on the 900, but that was a Custom so maybe the fork's rake had something to do with that.

Performance: NOTE: both bike are mechanically bone stock. The only aftermarket accessories were for style and comfort. I found the 900 to be quicker off the line, although that may be me being hesitant to open up the throttle in first gear. I'm not a tire smoker! I found the 900 to have decent acceleration up to about 75, then you could coax her up to 105 but you didn't get there in a flash. The Vaq's 6 speed transmission took some getting used to. 5th and 6th are both over-drive. It takes some discipline to stop shifting into 6th below 60 mph. If you try to use 6th gear around town, you'll never stop shifting. Up, down, up, down. I have to force myself to stay in 5th. Above 60 you can stay in 6th gear all day long unless you want to smoke somebody or climb a steep grade with a passenger.
But on the highway, wow!. I was on US 15 in Pennsylvania last year and I pulled out to pass a tanker. I was doing 75 in 6th gear. I didn't downshift, I just pulled out and rolled on the throttle. I glanced at the speedo as I pulled back into my lane and I was doing 115 and the needle was still sweeping to the right! I never felt it. The ride was that smooth and the air around me so still I thought I was doing maybe 90.

Mileage and Range: The 900 is all over this one. Over the 45k miles I put on my Custom I got between 48 and 52 mpg (indicated). With a 5.2 gal tank that's 250 miles before you have to get off and push. The furthest I ever took it was 252 miles and the pump said I put in 5.3 gallons. The Vaq has the same size tank, but I'm lucky if I get 40 mpg. I've stopped checking but the last couple of tanks I checked I was in 38 range. When I planned my trip to Baltimore last year I mapped out gas stops at 175 mile intervals but I don't think I've ever had to put more than 4 gallons in at once. Also, the 900 loves 87 Octane. I don't know why (both bikes run at the same compression and temp) but the Vaq requires 90+ and seems to run best and get the best mileage on 93 Octane I get at Kwikfill.

I really wish could afford 2 bikes. I love my Vaquero, but I do miss the 900. There were a lot of things to love about that bike, but Hell, I kept it in the family. My son owns it now.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.
Requesting that this be put into a STICKY
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 02:29 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2013 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Displacement/CC's: 903
I don't really ride my 900 in town due to heavy traffic. I mostly ride it on long trips (between 190 miles to 950 miles in one trip). The only thing I find lacking on the 900 is that it seems underpowered on highway cruising, I mean it seems to struggle at 80 miles/h. I come from sport touring bikes and I find myself wanting more power at my disposal and that is why I am considering a 1700 Voyager. Guess I will have to find one to test and see if I like. What do you guys say is the direct competitor from HD? I have a HD dealer nearby me and perhaps if I test one I can see if the 1700 will fit me or not.

Thanks
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 03:27 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Vaquero ABS
Displacement/CC's: 1700 cc
Color: Candy Cardinal Red
Garage
Quote:
I don't really ride my 900 in town due to heavy traffic. I mostly ride it on long trips (between 190 miles to 950 miles in one trip). The only thing I find lacking on the 900 is that it seems underpowered on highway cruising, I mean it seems to struggle at 80 miles/h. I come from sport touring bikes and I find myself wanting more power at my disposal and that is why I am considering a 1700 Voyager. Guess I will have to find one to test and see if I like. What do you guys say is the direct competitor from HD? I have a HD dealer nearby me and perhaps if I test one I can see if the 1700 will fit me or not.

Thanks
I've never considered HD so I can't help you there.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 08:41 AM

Garage
I would say the ultra classic, but a friend has one and when I sat on it I felt cramped compared to how I sit on the Voyager. I'm not sure HD really has a bike to compare.

2012 1700 Voyager
Cobra Slip Ons
Kuryakyn Grips
Kuryakyn Highway Pegs
Klock Werks Windshield
Kenwood Stereo
Soundstream Amp
Ivan's Flash
Sponsored Links