LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Vaquero ABS
Displacement/CC's: 1700 cc
Color: Candy Cardinal Red
Garage
Rear Tire Change

In the 10 years I rode my VN900 I changed out the rear tire 4 times. Each time I had the same problem putting the wheel back on. I never worked out a solution. I just struggled each time, then when it was complete, I forgot all about it.
Hereís the problem. The only thing that holds the brake caliper bracket on is the axle. But the axle goes in from the other side of the bike. So I would get everything precariously lined up, lower the bike gently down to line up the holes and start sliding the axle through. About half way through the bracket would slip out of place and I couldnít get it back without pulling the axle out and starting over. Usually it would take me 4 or 5 tries before everything stayed put and the axle slid through.
Well, I replaced the rear tire on my Vaquero for the first time yesterday. When I took the wheel off to take it to the shop, I realized I was going to have the same problem. At 2:00 am yesterday morning, I finally figured it out. For those that already worked it out, I gave myself good, hard dope slap when I was done.
With everything still removed, I placed the bracket on the frame. I located a socket that had about the same O.D. as the axle and slipped it into the bracket, pushing it far enough in that it also sat in the frame. I used a zip tie to lock the bracket to the frame and, like magic, everything slipped right into place the first time. I canít believe I didnít figure this out years ago! Now to see what kind of mileage I get out of this Shinko 777.
Peg likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 11:02 AM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Thanks for the info. I have my first tire change coming up!

2015 Voyager: Ivanized and lovin it!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 11:40 AM
Lifetime Premium

When I change the rear tire on my Voyager I use a zip-tie to secure the brake caliper holder it in place. I discovered that little trick on the first change 60,000 miles ago and it's served me well ever since.

2013 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Voyager

Last edited by Pilot747; 05-25-2019 at 11:44 AM.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 04:38 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Kawasaki Classic LT
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Green & Silver
I have zip tied that bracket to the frame with 2 zip ties. I do not remove the ties, just leave them tied to the frame.. It works great.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 04:57 PM
Peg
Top Contributor

Garage
Having given myself the same good hard dope-slap, there are two things I can't figure out...

1. Why I didn't work this out for myself, despite many, many wheel on's & wheel off's, much cursing, many skinned knuckles.

2. Why no one thought to share this excellent idea until now. Pilot you should be ashamed of yourself... 60,000 miles you've kept this secret?
CarGuy likes this.

Paul (Peg) Elliott
New Plymouth, NZ. '10 Voyager 1700
'02 Nomad 1500(sold) '97 VN800B (sold)
2 Honda's, 2 Suzuki's, 1 Yamaha (all dead)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 05:47 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Nomad ABS
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Black/White
Garage
This is a real "duh" moment! I've removed/installed my rear tire 3 times now, and I had help the last 2 times. Even with the extra pair of hands that bracket is a challenge. Thanks for sharing that tip. I'm sure that'll make it a bunch easier.!!!

Go for the ride!
2014 Kawasaki 1700 Nomad ABS
2008 Kawasaki 900 Classic LT (sold 2015 42k miles)
1975 Kawasaki KZ400 (sold ~1985)
1970 Suzuki TS250 Scrambler (stolen 1971)
1968 Bridgestone 200 MKII RS (sold 1970)
Patriot Guard Rider
USN 1971-75
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 09:52 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peg View Post
Having given myself the same good hard dope-slap, there are two things I can't figure out...

1. Why I didn't work this out for myself, despite many, many wheel on's & wheel off's, much cursing, many skinned knuckles.

2. Why no one thought to share this excellent idea until now. Pilot you should be ashamed of yourself... 60,000 miles you've kept this secret?
I guess I have to apologize. It was such a no brainer I just assumed most people could figure it out on their own. And yes I know what happens when you assume. I put the shaft in on that side so I get it in the exact position, then use a heave duty zip tie to hold it there while I put the shaft in from the other side. I don't leave the zip tie on there though because that bracket slides back and forth when you're adjusting the belt tension and I don't want any more resistance than necessary when I'm adjusting it. I read a lot of tips and tricks on here and I know how everyone swears that their method is the best and only one to use. I find a lot of them aren't all that there claimed to be but some are good though. So, I just keep things to myself.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 02:13 PM
Peg
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot747 View Post
I guess I have to apologize. It was such a no brainer I just assumed most people could figure it out on their own. And yes I know what happens when you assume. I put the shaft in on that side so I get it in the exact position, then use a heave duty zip tie to hold it there while I put the shaft in from the other side. I don't leave the zip tie on there though because that bracket slides back and forth when you're adjusting the belt tension and I don't want any more resistance than necessary when I'm adjusting it. I read a lot of tips and tricks on here and I know how everyone swears that their method is the best and only one to use. I find a lot of them aren't all that there claimed to be but some are good though. So, I just keep things to myself.
Here's a little tip for you then... I've not had to adjust my belt tension in years.

Whenever I remove the wheel, I just take the shocks off and then just lift the bike until the wheel can be rolled out underneath. Just before the swingarm reaches it's lowest position, the belt will slacken right off without the adjusters needing to be loosened.

So therefore, when I use this trickery of yours next time - I will zip-tie the bracket in place before I remove the wheel, and snip it off when it's re-installed.

Paul (Peg) Elliott
New Plymouth, NZ. '10 Voyager 1700
'02 Nomad 1500(sold) '97 VN800B (sold)
2 Honda's, 2 Suzuki's, 1 Yamaha (all dead)
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 11:58 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peg View Post
Here's a little tip for you then... I've not had to adjust my belt tension in years.

Whenever I remove the wheel, I just take the shocks off and then just lift the bike until the wheel can be rolled out underneath. Just before the swingarm reaches it's lowest position, the belt will slacken right off without the adjusters needing to be loosened.

So therefore, when I use this trickery of yours next time - I will zip-tie the bracket in place before I remove the wheel, and snip it off when it's re-installed.
I tried that once. Too much hassle for me. I prefer to adjust the belt each time. Only takes 3-4 minutes. And It makes it easy to make sure that the wheel is still square to the swing arm. I just set the deflection to about 1/2 - 3/4 in. Or about 12-19 mm. And yes I know what the book says. The geometry of the belt changes slightly as the swing arm moves up and down riding down the road.. therefore the deflection or tightness if you will, is constantly increasing and decreasing slightly. That technique seems to be working quit well for me with this bike and for the Triumph I had before. Just one other thing. I don't know how we ever got along before zip-ties came along.
Peg likes this.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 06:13 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Vaquero ABS
Displacement/CC's: 1700 cc
Color: Candy Cardinal Red
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot747 View Post
I don't know how we ever got along before zip-ties came along.
Steel wire!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode