Won't start. - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Won't start.

Hello everyone,

I have a 2012 1700 Vulcan Classic. So, I left the key on for a bit while I got distracted(20 min?). I went to start it and it fired off for a minute and then died and the battery didn't have enough power to try again. I hooked it up to my truck to jump start it and it wouldn't start. It had been sitting a week or two outside. I'd been moving and not riding it recently between moving and having a newborn. It has around 6000 miles on it. It has been ridden weekly for the last year and until a few weeks ago daily. It was my winter vehicle while my Bronco was down. Battery is 6 months old maybe. I charged it up overnight with the charger and it seems good still.

As a trouble shooting measure, I sprayed some carb cleaner in the intake. It fired right up. I removed the gas tank and I have power at the pump momentarily which I assume is correct as most fuel injected vehicles only run for a few seconds.

I hooked the fuel pump up to a battery and it seemed to be pumping OK. I'm not sure exactly how much it should be pumping but given that it only needs to pump a gallon an hour if I was going 40-50, I'd say it seemed OK. The pump turned on once or twice but not every time I turn the key. This makes me think maybe it is a relay or the bike has pressure so the fuel pump doesn't turn on. Not sure if the regulator or something controls it. I figure I can take the fuel line loose again and then hook it back up and see if it does it the same way.

I don't see a fuel pressure port to test the pressure. I don't see any fuses that appear to be blown.

The amount of 1700 specific information is pretty small online. I was hoping someone could help me out with what to test. I have a multi-meter, test light, and whatever else I need. I'm just not sure where to start.

My thoughts are either the pressure regulator is bad or there is a relay that is bad. My only guess is fuel injector relay or fuel pump relay. I read about an ignition wire issue with these bikes but that doesn't seem to be my problem since it starts right up with a squirt in the intake.

I'm going to put power to the pump from an external source while hooked to the bike and see if it starts that way.

I appreciate any suggestions on what to check next.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 06:25 AM Thread Starter

I've been super busy but I checked all the fuses and connections.

Anyone have any advice for me before I break down and take it to the shop?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 07:31 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Volcan 900 LT
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Black/Silver
Garage
Sorry fellow, I wish I could help but can't. Maybe someone else will see this and chime in.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 02:35 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for responding. I appreciate it. Hopefully someone will chime in.

I guess I'm going to take it in the next few days. I more or less finished my Bronco project and I'm probably going to start customizing the Vulcan since I now have the body work and paint skills to do it now.

I just can't figure out what is wrong here. I'm hoping I didn't fry the CPU jump starting it but it died before that and then didn't restart so I don't think that is what it was. I have the shop manual.

The gauges got wet inside and appear to have stopped working in the last couple weeks(it actually zapped the circuit that supplies power to the board, I can see the failure point.) If anyone does respond to this that has some knowledge, do the gauges need to be hooked up for it to run? I still have lights, neutral light, ect. Just no odometer or FI light. This was not the case when it stopped running though and it still responds the same.

Does anyone know if the kill switch shuts off fuel or the fuel injectors?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 04:23 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Vaquero ABS
Displacement/CC's: 1700 cc
Color: Candy Cardinal Red
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealFloopyGuy View Post
Does anyone know if the kill switch shuts off fuel or the fuel injectors?
On my 2017 1700 the kill switch does shut off the fuel pump.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 07:07 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 1995 Kawasaki Vulcan 500
Color: Black / grey
I guess I'm lost.

"It has been ridden weekly for the last year and until a few weeks ago daily. It was my winter vehicle while my Bronco was down. Battery is 6 months old maybe. I charged it up overnight with the charger and it seems good still. "

Does it start now or not??
Also a charged battery can appear good and yet not be good enough to start the engine.
Either check voltage as you crank it, or have it load tested.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1995 en500 stock with windshield - 30,000 miles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcandoc View Post
I guess I'm lost.

"It has been ridden weekly for the last year and until a few weeks ago daily. It was my winter vehicle while my Bronco was down. Battery is 6 months old maybe. I charged it up overnight with the charger and it seems good still. "

Does it start now or not??
Also a charged battery can appear good and yet not be good enough to start the engine.
Either check voltage as you crank it, or have it load tested.

It will start if I put gas/starting fluid into the intake but not on it's own. I've had bikes that wouldn't run with a bad battery before but I think it starting up immediately with a little gas means that isn't it. I know it is a fuel issue but I'm not sure if it is mechanical or electrical. I suspect electrical. The fuel pump comes on for a few seconds and squirts gas out. It has enough pressure that my finger over the hose I was using to monitor the fuel can't contain it. It is getting absolutely no fuel into either cylinder given that it makes no attempt to start, just turns over.

I assume that the injectors aren't allowing gas to pass and since it doesn't appear to be one side or the other that it is an electrical problem with a signal to them or a fuel problem. I can dig my pressure gauge out and test the fuel pressure if needed.

The fuel pump only runs for a few seconds once the bike is turned on. It does pump fuel and at pressure. However, it doesn't seem to keep pumping til it is pressurized(If I put a hose onto the pump and put electricity to it, it doesn't keep pumping gas without a restriction.) However, I did try manually powering the fuel pump from an external source while trying to start it to verify that it wasn't an issue with the pump not staying on enough. No change.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode