High Beams - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

High Beams

So i know many drive with their high beams on all the time so that they are more visible to others. I do as well. Yet while out today, during the day a few oncoming drivers flashed their high beams. A bit strange during the day since I don't think they are bright enough during daylight to bother oncoming traffic?

Any others experience the same?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 06:09 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2006
Displacement/CC's: 750
Color: Red/black
Garage
I haven't had oncoming drivers do that but I did have one of my riding buddies remark to me one time that my lights (bright headlight and two LED running lights) were really bright. He was in the lead and speaking about mine when looking in his mirrors.

Generally speaking, I have my running lights on and my headlight on low but that day, during that stretch of the ride, I had the hi-beam on.

Chris Cochran
Retired USAF '74 to '95 AMMO
Engine guard with highway pegs
Luggage rack
GPS on RAM handlebar mount
MCCTs replaced ACCTs
Iridium plugs: DPR7EIX-9
Custom made seat (verrry comfortable)
LED turn signals with rear signals relocated
LED license plate holder
Hard mounted Viking saddlebags
Hard mounted fork tool bag (free from Viking)
LED running lights on custom light bar
National Cycles Low Boy Heavy Duty windshield
Home made lowers
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 08:17 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2010 Kawasaki Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Red/Black
Garage
i ride w/ high and a modulator. led bulb quite bright and 6k color. never had anyone flash at me. but i have had people tell me they noticed my headlight was broken and flashing.
auwing1978 and glhadiator like this.

Installed:
RAM mount for TomTom Rider 400 (with anti theft module)
6000k LED Headlight & Spots; Kisan Headlight Modulator (works with LEDs),
__Brake Light Modulator, LED License Plate Holder
Longer Kickstand
Dobeck EJK 3.0
Lucky Mirror Extenders
Misc. RAM Mounts for Cup Holder, SPOT, Phone, etc.
Chuckster BAK, Trailer Hitch and Cooler Rack
Wiring for Trailer
Ray's Throttle Mod
Things to do:
Drilling Baffle Plates (Maybe)
Paint HF Tag Along Trailer to Match Bike

LET'S RIDE

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 05:02 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Nomad ABS
Color: Black/White
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre-t View Post
i ride w/ high and a modulator. led bulb quite bright and 6k color. never had anyone flash at me. but i have had people tell me they noticed my headlight was broken and flashing.
I don't have the led and I don't run with the high beam on, but I get some interesting reactions from my modulator as I'm sure you have. I've had both oncoming and same direction traffic pull over to the side to allow me to pass, flash at me, ask me why my lights are flashing (at stop lights), and even yell out their window as they pass that my light is flashing. The best one is on my 25mph street near my house where people speed all the time, is seeing that front bumper dip as they hit their brakes thinking I'm a cop. I suppose the black and white of my Nomad doesn't hurt! All it tells me is that I'm noticed, and that's a good thing!

Go for the ride!
2014 Kawasaki 1700 Nomad ABS
2008 Kawasaki 900 Classic LT (sold 2015 42k miles)
1975 Kawasaki KZ400 (sold ~1985)
1970 Suzuki TS250 Scrambler (stolen 1971)
1968 Bridgestone 200 MKII RS (sold 1970)
Patriot Guard Rider
USN 1971-75

Last edited by CarGuy; 04-25-2019 at 07:46 AM.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 07:36 AM
END OF YEAR BIKE 2018 Winner

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Classic LT (Buffy)
Displacement/CC's: 903
Color: Blue/Silver/Chrome
Garage
I've been debating for the last two weeks about installing the headlight pulsing device.

A few things I have been contemplating:

What if other drivers think that I am a cop? (So @CarGuy verified that thought! :-))

Drivers may think that my Headlight is malfunctioning. @CarGuy and @Sabre-t verified that thought!)

How well would I be seen? (@VN750Guy** verified that is the case!)

All in all this has been a very informative thread for me. And the verdict is...

Install the device!
CarGuy likes this.

...On a Steel Horse I ride...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 07:42 AM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Graham View Post
...A bit strange during the day since I don't think they are bright enough during daylight to bother oncoming traffic?
Obviously the oncoming traffic thinks otherwise.

We all need to be respectful of others on the road.

Last edited by whoaru99; 04-25-2019 at 07:50 AM.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 08:18 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 View Post

You're exactly correct that motorcyclists need to be respectful of others on the road, and that includes ALL motorcyclists and for all actions. As for modulated headlights, which are legal in all 50 states per federal law, conscientious use should dictate when to use or not use them. I turn mine off when following other motorcyclists as it can be distracting to them more so than when following a car or truck. I'll also turn it off in slow-moving stop & go traffic where it might annoy the car/truck ahead of me. But, when on the road in town or out, it's on. I don't use my high beam during the day because I find the modulated light is attention-getting enough. If it annoys someone I'm sorry, but I'd rather annoy someone than not get noticed. The number 1 excuse from a vehicle that crosses in front of a motorcycle is "I never saw it". In over 6 years of use, 10's of thousands of miles, and traveling through approx 30 states, I've never had anyone voice their annoyance with it and I've never been stopped by police because of it's use. It works!
bearslayer and art487 like this.

Go for the ride!
Patriot Guard Rider
USN 1971-75
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 09:28 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2006
Displacement/CC's: 750
Color: Red/black
Garage
For my clarification, just how does this modulating setup work? Does it switch back and forth between hi/low or what?

My running lights, seen below (not turned on), are so "white and bright" that my low beam headlight looks yellow by comparison. The hi-beam doesn't look yellow.

Would this be switching between bright/yellow?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RS New lowers and screen.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	228254  

Chris Cochran
Retired USAF '74 to '95 AMMO
Engine guard with highway pegs
Luggage rack
GPS on RAM handlebar mount
MCCTs replaced ACCTs
Iridium plugs: DPR7EIX-9
Custom made seat (verrry comfortable)
LED turn signals with rear signals relocated
LED license plate holder
Hard mounted Viking saddlebags
Hard mounted fork tool bag (free from Viking)
LED running lights on custom light bar
National Cycles Low Boy Heavy Duty windshield
Home made lowers
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 09:40 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VN750Guy** View Post
For my clarification, just how does this modulating setup work? Does it switch back and forth between hi/low or what?

My running lights, seen below (not turned on), are so "white and bright" that my low beam headlight looks yellow by comparison. The hi-beam doesn't look yellow.

Would this be switching between bright/yellow?
It varies the intensity of either your low or hi beam. It doesn't modulate between them.

Here's the section from fed law that deals with modulators. It should answer your questions.

S7.9.4 Motorcycle headlamp modulation system.
S7.9.4.1 A headlamp on a motorcycle may be wired to modulate either the upper beam or the lower beam from its maximum intensity to a lesser intensity,provided that:
(a) The rate of modulation shall be 240 <plus-minus> 40 cycles per minute.
(b) The headlamp shall be operated at maximum power for 50 to 70 percent of each cycle.
(c) The lowest intensity at any test point shall be not less than 17 percent of the maximum intensity measured at the same point.
(d) The modulator switch shall be wired in the power lead of the beam filament being modulated and not in the ground side of the circuit.
(e) Means shall be provided so that both the lower beam and upper beam remain operable in the event of a modulator failure.
(f) The system shall include a sensor mounted with the axis of its sensing element perpendicular to a horizontal plane. Headlamp modulation shall cease whenever the level of light emitted by a tungsten filament light operating at 3000 deg. Kelvin is either less than 270 lux (25 foot-candles) of direct light for upward pointing sensors or less than 60 lux (5.6 foot-candles) of reflected light for downward pointing sensors. The light is measured by a silicon cell type light meter located at the sensor & pointing in the same direction as the sensor. A Kodak Gray Card (Kodak R-27) is placed at ground level to simulate the road surface in testing downward pointing sensors.
(g) When tested in accordance with the test profile shown in Figure 9, the voltage drop across the modulator when the lamp is on at all test conditions for 12 volt systems and 6 volt systems shall not be greater than .45 volt. The modulator shall meet all the provisions of the standard after completion of the test profile shown in Figure 9.
(h) Means shall be provided so that both the lower and upper beam function at design voltage when the headlamp control switch is in either the lower or upper beam position when the modulator is off.
art487 likes this.

Go for the ride!
Patriot Guard Rider
USN 1971-75
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 11:20 AM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarGuy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 View Post

You're exactly correct that motorcyclists need to be respectful of others on the road, and that includes ALL motorcyclists and for all actions. As for modulated headlights, which are legal in all 50 states per federal law, conscientious use should dictate when to use or not use them. I turn mine off when following other motorcyclists as it can be distracting to them more so than when following a car or truck. I'll also turn it off in slow-moving stop & go traffic where it might annoy the car/truck ahead of me. But, when on the road in town or out, it's on. I don't use my high beam during the day because I find the modulated light is attention-getting enough. If it annoys someone I'm sorry, but I'd rather annoy someone than not get noticed. The number 1 excuse from a vehicle that crosses in front of a motorcycle is "I never saw it". In over 6 years of use, 10's of thousands of miles, and traveling through approx 30 states, I've never had anyone voice their annoyance with it and I've never been stopped by police because of it's use. It works!
I have no beef with modulated headlights, just the blinding high beams/auxiliary lights.

Does nobody a favor to have opposing traffic annoyed at best, blinded at worst
CarGuy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode