Gel seat vs Mustang seat - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

Gel seat vs Mustang seat

My2013 Vaquero came with a Mustang 2up seat. It makes me sit a little higher than I want (seat is comfy though). I was curious as to everyone’s thoughts on the Kawasaki gel seat? Also, someone told me that I would need a different mounting bracket? Is that true? All opinions and help is truly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 12:46 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2016 Voyager 1700 ABS
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Black-Silver
Send a message via AIM to auwing1978 Send a message via MSN to auwing1978
I put a Mustang on my prior bike and it was great for me. I bought the Kawasaki Tour Gel seat when I bought my Voyager new....dealer gave me 30% off any Kawasaki accessories (buying in January is great!) so it was very affordable. It is fine for 100 mile days. I added an Air Hawk and it is good for 400 miles days. It does raise you up 1/2 inch maybe over OEM seat (that I rode on for while before the gel seat arrived). I also have a Bakup backrest which I reallly like.

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. HST
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Did you just add the air hawk pad? Or a full air hawk seat?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 11:05 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2016 vaquero
Color: White
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitchrope View Post
I have this same question, got a trip planed to the upper UP end of July and was looking at the Air Hawk and was not sure what was best. I still run stock seat and only bothers me after 200 mile days.

2016 Vulcan Vaquero
2012 Vulcan 900 Classic
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 02:57 PM

I had a mustang seat on my old V star 950 and could not go more than 1 hour and my ass started to get sore. I just bought a voyager 1700 in Dec and started riding it about 2 weeks ago and have put 1200Kms on it already with a few 3-4 hour drives with the Gel seat and i have not had any discomfort yet.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Just the Medium sized Air Hawk pad.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbest View Post
I have this same question, got a trip planed to the upper UP end of July and was looking at the Air Hawk and was not sure what was best. I still run stock seat and only bothers me after 200 mile days.
400 mile days with the Air Hawk pad are not a problem for me.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 11:35 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2013 Vaquero SE
Color: Candy Lime Green and Black
Quote:

My2013 Vaquero came with a Mustang 2up seat. It makes me sit a little higher than I want (seat is comfy though). I was curious as to everyone’s thoughts on the Kawasaki gel seat? Also, someone told me that I would need a different mounting bracket? Is that true? All opinions and help is truly appreciated
Obviously this comment should come with the caveat that YMMV, but I have tried a lot of seats. This won't answer your question directly, but I had a 900 and the stock seat was horrible. I tried an airhawk....and the results were better, but not great.
Stock seat for me = 30 minutes max before my lower back and tailbone was sore. Airhawk gave me maybe 90 minutes to two hours before soreness. But, even with minimal air, I did not like the feeling of floating on the seat. Especially around corners, you could feel the air moving under you. I personally did not like that feeling, almost like I was "disconnected" from the bike, somehow.

I then got a saddleman and the results were better still...not great, but better. I always felt like I sat ON the airhawk, but IN the saddleman. It gave me more comfort, but on longer days, the numbness was there.

I like taking long trips, so a great seat is important. I then got rid of the saddleman, and got a Corbin. Hands down the best seat I have tried. 6 to 8 hours a day were never an issue.

I had a mustang seat in the past also, and while comfortable to sit on, I did not like how it felt like it moved me up and closer to the controls.... this negated the comfort advantages (at least for me).

On my Vaquero, it came with a Corbin. Although the previous owner told me he had the foam re-worked a bit. I am not sure what exactly he had done, or how it is different than the Corbin from the factory, but it is perfect. The most I have done in a day is about 500kms. Maybe 9 to 10 hours or so.

The stock seat felt higher (as I have sat on a vaquero with stock seat). I like the way the Corbin feels and the riding position. This will depend on your height and inseam for sure.

I have a riding buddy with a VTX1300 and he has an Ultimate seat. I have tried it. It too is great, but I don't have anything to compare it to on his bike, as far as the stock seat goes. He swears by it, but it is pricey. I guess, depending on how important seat comfort is, how much you ride, what type of riding you do, (and your budget), price may not be an issue.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is a one-size-fits-all solution for seats.

But I can say that Corbin is 2 for 2 for me, as I am on my second and both times have been impressed.

As far as the Kawi gel seat, I can only tell you what others have said - it is hit or miss as far as comfort level goes. I have sat on one, but not ridden on it. It feels remarkably similar to the saddleman...

As most find out (not all of course, but most), the stock seats on many bikes are horrid. It would be nice if there were "try before you buy" options!

Worth noting, at least in my experience, every seat used the stock bracket....

Good luck with whatever you decide on!

Matt

Matt
2013 Vulcan Vaquero SE

Last edited by VaqueroMatt; 04-29-2019 at 11:40 AM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 07:18 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2015 Voyager
Color: Black/Gray
One thing HD has done is really helpful: "Demo Seats". You sign out a seat and test ride it, before you buy. I tried a couple of seats for my Road Glide, but settled on the " Sundowner". Just wish they offered aftermarket saddles to test ride. I did find only one Japanese bike dealer that offered a demo. It was a Mustang for a Voyager, but I had already decided to buy a Mustang from a guy who traded off his Voyager. He only had it a week, before deciding to trade for an Indian Chief. Got it for 1/2 price ( no need to test ride for that kind of deal!)
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 07:26 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2000 Nomad 1500 fi
Displacement/CC's: 1500
Color: Purplish Black Mica
How about trying a seat with a "Guaranteed Comfort" or your money back warranty.

https://day-long.com/warranty/

You can spend a lot of money going through seats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode