Voyager front tire pressure - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2016 Voyager 1700
Voyager front tire pressure

The Voyager owners manual has the front tire pressure at 28 pounds, that sounds a little low to me although i ran the factory Bridgestone at that spec and i now have a new front tire on and i am thinking of ignoring factory spec but was curious at what most other guys with a Voyager run the front tire at.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 03:55 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2016 Kawasaki Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: MetalicBlackk/Silver
Garage
I'm the same way I run 34 psi in mine with the Bridgestone. It may be in my head it just feels better going down the road.
On the down side the higher pressure makes for a harder tire and with the weight of the bike and the fat rider on it there is a greater chance of the front end washing out in a turn on loose or wet pavement.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 11:28 PM
Lifetime Premium

I run 38 front and 40 rear in Commander II's. 16K and looks like another 4-5k easy. Got 19k out of the last set. I replaced then a little early because of a 5k trip.

2013 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Voyager

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 11:45 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2010 Kawasaki Voyager
Color: Red/Black
Garage
IMO 28 psi is dangerously low for a front tire on the Voyager.

When I first got my Voyager, I had the front tire (the Kawi recommended Bridgestone) at 28 psi cold (which was just below 80 on the day in question) per the manual, and monitored with a Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS). I was on the highway on a hot day (high 90s) and the front tire temp went up to nearly 150 F. Of course, as the tire temp rose, so did the pressure which topped out at about 38 psi. That's a 10 psi rise. That should never happen if a tire is properly inflated. That is a sure sign of under inflation. Now, I've ridden across the Mojave desert at midday pulling a trailer (different bike, though) in 120 - 123 and never got a tire temp above 130. When that tire wore out, it had low tread on both sides of the middle, a sign of running at low pressure, even though I ran it at a higher pressure of ~34 psi after that day.

I currently run Michelin Commander 2s. 32 - 33 psi cold in the front, 36 - 38 psi in the rear. I personally think that running at 40 or more cold psi, especially in the front, is too much. I find that I get very even and very long wear if I keep the tire pressures where there is never a rise of more than 4 - 6 psi from cold to normal operating temp plus 1 psi for every 10F between the cold and the operating temp.

Installed:
RAM mount for TomTom Rider 400 (with anti theft module)
6000k LED Headlight & Spots; Kisan Headlight Modulator (works with LEDs),
__Brake Light Modulator, LED License Plate Holder
Longer Kickstand
Dobeck EJK 3.0
Lucky Mirror Extenders
Misc. RAM Mounts for Cup Holder, SPOT, Phone, etc.
Chuckster BAK, Trailer Hitch and Cooler Rack
Wiring for Trailer
Ray's Throttle Mod
Things to do:
Drilling Baffle Plates (Maybe)
Paint HF Tag Along Trailer to Match Bike

LET'S RIDE
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre-t View Post
IMO 28 psi is dangerously low for a front tire on the Voyager.

When I first got my Voyager, I had the front tire (the Kawi recommended Bridgestone) at 28 psi cold (which was just below 80 on the day in question) per the manual, and monitored with a Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS). I was on the highway on a hot day (high 90s) and the front tire temp went up to nearly 150 F. Of course, as the tire temp rose, so did the pressure which topped out at about 38 psi. That's a 10 psi rise. That should never happen if a tire is properly inflated. That is a sure sign of under inflation. Now, I've ridden across the Mojave desert at midday pulling a trailer (different bike, though) in 120 - 123 and never got a tire temp above 130. When that tire wore out, it had low tread on both sides of the middle, a sign of running at low pressure, even though I ran it at a higher pressure of ~34 psi after that day.

I currently run Michelin Commander 2s. 32 - 33 psi cold in the front, 36 - 38 psi in the rear. I personally think that running at 40 or more cold psi, especially in the front, is too much. I find that I get very even and very long wear if I keep the tire pressures where there is never a rise of more than 4 - 6 psi from cold to normal operating temp plus 1 psi for every 10F between the cold and the operating temp.
I agree 100% with this.

Last year I was playing around with tire pressures on my Vaquero. I have Metzeler ME888 tires on my Vaquero. I replaced the stockers with these at about 9k miles due to wear. I went from 33psi to 45psi in the front, and ended up putting it back to 33psi. Before this, and on the stock tires, I was running 36psi F/R. The rear tire I've left at 36psi.

I used a temp gun and my pressure gauge to check tire pressures and temps before and after a ride. My commute is 80% highway. IIRC, I saw temps in the 135-145 Fahrenheit range after a ride on a 90 degree day. Pressures never went up more than 4 or 5 degrees though. I'll check my notes and post back later.

All my other bikes run 36psi F/R, the Vaquero is the heaviest (by far) and seems to like the lower front tire pressure. During the winter time I'll run the front at 32psi, for a bit of extra compliance with the cold temps (both air and road).

-John

2016 Vaquero (mostly stock)
2005 VN800B Bobber (Blue Collar Bobbers kits)
1979 KZ650SR
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2016 Voyager 1700
This all helps answer a few questions for me my front tire also wore out the sides more than the center and i didn't know why but i suspected the pressure. I also use the tps system with temp monitoring so I'll start keeping a log and figure this out. I think I'll start with 34 psi in the front and see how it goes. Thanks
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 09:31 AM

As an aside, what TPMS/temp monitor are you using?

I installed a Garmin 395LM on my Vaquero and was thinking of using their TPMS sensors, but dang they're expensive! IIRC, it's about $150 to get 2 of them. Ouch!

-John

2016 Vaquero (mostly stock)
2005 VN800B Bobber (Blue Collar Bobbers kits)
1979 KZ650SR
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 11:34 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2016 Kawasaki Voyager
Color: MetalicBlackk/Silver
Garage
Hey,
TPMS is Tire pressure monitoring system you can get it from Amazon pretty cheap
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=tpms+for+...b_sb_ss_i_1_14
Bluetooth connect and monitor from your smart phone for $39.99

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 01:39 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2010 Kawasaki Voyager
Color: Red/Black
Garage
I use the Tiregard system with the key fob like unit. Unfortunately, the fob is not weatherproof. I hate not being able to keep a constant eye the tire pressure on long, rainy days. Next time I get one, it will be with a weatherproof, bike powered unit (with 4 sensors so I can monitor my trailer, too) that can be mounted on the handlebars or a RAM mount.

Installed:
RAM mount for TomTom Rider 400 (with anti theft module)
6000k LED Headlight & Spots; Kisan Headlight Modulator (works with LEDs),
__Brake Light Modulator, LED License Plate Holder
Longer Kickstand
Dobeck EJK 3.0
Lucky Mirror Extenders
Misc. RAM Mounts for Cup Holder, SPOT, Phone, etc.
Chuckster BAK, Trailer Hitch and Cooler Rack
Wiring for Trailer
Ray's Throttle Mod
Things to do:
Drilling Baffle Plates (Maybe)
Paint HF Tag Along Trailer to Match Bike

LET'S RIDE
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 01:24 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2016 Voyager 1700 ABS
Color: Black-Silver
Send a message via AIM to auwing1978 Send a message via MSN to auwing1978
Just installed 3rd set of tires. Metzlers and running 38/42.

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. HST
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode