2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2010 Kawasaki Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Titanium & Black
? Saddle bags; top open vs side open

Was looking at another model; but it has side opening saddle bags and I have top open now and not sure if I am down with the side open models.
Has anyone had both and have an opinion either way?
If you have the side open type do you think they are cool and I shouldn't worry? (Was thinking maybe the side open can handle taller things like as cooler)

2010 Vulcan Nomad 1700 Titanium/Black
RACNRAY's Grip Mod
Chuckster's BAK W Stock Cover
Ivan's Flash for BAK's
Mustang Seat, Hywy Bar Kuryakyn ISO Grips, Kuryakyn Grip Supports, Valvoline MC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 05:38 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: '05
Displacement/CC's: 800
Garage
oh ya a cooler, and while you're at it put a bbq in there to fry up a couple t-bones with your beer

Thunder Mfg teardrop 40's K&N 170MJ 48PJ 2.75turns DynoJet Needle DNO106 2nd notch V&H Cruzers Aeromach risers Michelin Commander IIs Wix 51358 filter 17T/40 Sprockets, 2357 rear bulbs
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 07:25 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2004 Nomad , 1985 BMW K100 X2 , 1985 Intruder, 1998 Ducati Monster, 1972 CL350, 1948 Indian CZ125, 2
Displacement/CC's: 125 -1500
Color: Blue & Silver , Black , Gray , Maroon,black,
Garage
have the Nomad side opening bags , I like them but if it wouldn't be such a pain ( and expense) I would go with the top opening Harley bags.
soyarm likes this.

That which does not kill me tends to really piss me off.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 09:14 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2016 Kawasaki Voyager
Color: MetalicBlackk/Silver
Garage
Yeah,
When I bought my Voyager I was also looking at the Vaquero and one of the several things that swung me to the Voyager was the top open bags (and the trunk) I seem to always have a lot of crap with me when I go ride and you can hold more s**t in the top open bags and while I do not have personal experience with side open bags it just seems if have a lot of little things it would hard to get every thing to stack up while you open and close the side. However if all you carry is like a jacket it probably works pretty well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 09:36 AM

I'll go ahead and disagree with those that say the side-opening bags won't hold as much. They're virtually the same size, so it's how you pack/stack things in there. I went on an all-weekend cruise with my Vaquero and had extra stuff and room to spare.

I had top opening bags on my VN800B, and they were OK, and so are the Vaquero's bags. If you're in a tight space, the side-opening bags can be a pain, but I can fit a lot in them. I have the fitted "luggage" for them too, so it's easy to pack everything in them while in my house, walk out, put the luggage in the bags, and go.

My point, boiled down: Don't let side-opening bags dissuade you from a bike you otherwise really like.

-John

2016 Vaquero (mostly stock)
2005 VN800B Bobber (Blue Collar Bobbers kits)
1979 KZ650SR
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 10:05 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: (SOLD) Kawasaki Vulcan S [Harley-Davidson FLXTRS Road Glide Special]
Displacement/CC's: 107 (1746cc)
Color: Bonneville Salt Pearl
Top opening bags, donít require some kind of liner, and are easier access.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sabre-t likes this.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 11:07 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2016 Kawasaki Voyager
Color: MetalicBlackk/Silver
Garage
Hey,
yeah when it comes down to it both Voyager and Vaquero are the exact same bones motorcycle. It all depends on what style of bike you like. Both bags will work so don't let just the bags decide the bike for you as I said in the post above not just the saddle bags decided the Voyager for me but several different things. Bottom line if you like a cruiser style bike the Vaquero is for you. If you like a touring style bike then the Voyager is the for you. And yes you can put a lot more stuff in the top opening bags on the Voyager than the side open bags on the Vaquero simply because they are not only little bigger cubic inches but you also have a large trunk in between them on the back of the bike.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2010 Kawasaki Nomad
Color: Titanium & Black
btom
Hardie Har Har...Yeah, I take my lunch to work in a cooler, had a small size but had to settle for for two mini ones to fit in one side bag.
__________________________________________________ _________________________________________________

I love my Nomad, but it doesn't have abs, would like extra headlights and would like the extra gauges on the bars vs tank. Never looked much at the Vaquero before but they kinda caught my eye in considering an upgrade.
Have always added a trunk to the luggage rack on previous Bikes so I could take said small cooler to work then store my helmet upon arrival. Realized when I got the Nomad that a trunk also raises the center of gravity on the bike, plus cost of a nice one, so utilize the bags I had until they weren't enough, but have made it work so far.
Getting kind of old to get the leg over stuff also.
Still cold in Michigan, so dreaming is all I can do for now.

2010 Vulcan Nomad 1700 Titanium/Black
RACNRAY's Grip Mod
Chuckster's BAK W Stock Cover
Ivan's Flash for BAK's
Mustang Seat, Hywy Bar Kuryakyn ISO Grips, Kuryakyn Grip Supports, Valvoline MC

Last edited by Sarek1700; 03-12-2019 at 04:35 PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 04:38 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2015 Voyager
Color: Black/Gray
The one thing about my Voyager I was missing, were the clam-shell bags on my previous Nomads. I saw them on the Vaquero, and I really wished they were on the 1700's. They look so nice, and only needed one hand to open. I liked the very positive feel when you clamped the latch. I never had a problem with loading or using them. They had elastic straps, and those held everything in. I thought they felt stronger too.
I bought the bike though, because it was a good deal and I liked everything else. My '06 Road Glide had the old- style, "2 hand use" top loaders (HD fixed that, now). I am pleasantly surprised to find I actually like these top load bags. The domed top-you can pile stuff above the sides, and they still close! These "one handed use" latches work well. My wife and I now think they might be better. I still love the look of the old nomad style, though!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 11:33 AM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2010 Kawasaki Voyager
Color: Red/Black
Garage
I've never used side opening bags, but I don't think I would like them. Like stessel, I keep a lot of little stuff in my bags for quick and easy access. Having top opening bags on the Voyager makes it easy to grab what I need quickly.

That said, I would not let side bags keep me from getting a bike that I otherwise liked. I would learn to deal with them. I was actually looking at a new Vaq, but was balking at the price when the dealer showed me the used Voyager I ended up falling in love with and buying.

Installed:
RAM mount for TomTom Rider 400 (with anti theft module)
6000k LED Headlight & Spots; Kisan Headlight Modulator (works with LEDs),
__Brake Light Modulator, LED License Plate Holder
Longer Kickstand
Dobeck EJK 3.0
Lucky Mirror Extenders
Misc. RAM Mounts for Cup Holder, SPOT, Phone, etc.
Chuckster BAK, Trailer Hitch and Cooler Rack
Wiring for Trailer
Ray's Throttle Mod
Things to do:
Drilling Baffle Plates (Maybe)
Paint HF Tag Along Trailer to Match Bike

LET'S RIDE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode